Cork Hurlers 2018

Dorcha

Re: Cork Hurlers 2018

Postby Dorcha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Shocking display by Cork. Comparing the present team with last years, Kingston made no unforced changes, even after the second round loss to Dublin. Myeler seems to be constantly bringing players in and out and switching players around in position. Today showed the result of that. How can any team settle down if the players don't know if, or where, they will be playing the next day. Building up an panel for the championship isn't a good enough excuse for what this is doing to the team and their confidence.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Hurling is not about flicks and wristy players, it about strength skill and heart. Wexford blew us off the park on the second half. Our forwards are lovely sliky hurlers when given space but get tight to them and they don't like a dogfight. Coaches know if you have discipline against Cork, without frees we aren't able to keep the scoreboard ticking over. SOD and TOM got a real introduction to intercounty hurling this afternoon. Anytime Bill Cooper goes off Cork are weakened considerably. We can't afford to lose his physically. I'd nearly go as far as saying he is our most important player. Harnedy isn't firing at all, something isn't right there. Lehane was good in patches but again goes missing for long periods, Flynn was the same but he can be forgiven as he is raw to the setup but Conor has been doing this for too long. If Nash pucked over the sideline as Collins did... The positive from today is no goal conceded. I liked the way we battled near the end( it rubbish's the gossip of discontentment in the camp as people were saying before any game was played). Overall Wexford were the better side and Cork did well to stay in the match for as long as they did
jbm1

Postby jbm1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Poor 2nd half performance by Cork..Didn't want to be in the battle at all.
However, we missed 2 sitters of goals that could have "snuck" it for us.
How did Shane Kingston miss..Usually deadly from those positions.
Anyway, its the first Sunday in Feb..Lets see how we get on for the rest of the Campaign.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Have to say, Young Bob, that you're being a bit unfair to Lehane. Of course, he could have done more, but so could all of them. He certainly did more than anyone else in the forward line. I got the feeling that the balance of the team was upset by all the switches and tinkering with the position of players. The time for that kind of stuff is in the Munster league or challenge matches. The league is a serious competition and needs to be treated seriously. Also, you're building up for the championship and you need to get a bit of consistency going for that. You do not need to go into it the way Cork went into this match today. Why not have kept the team the way it was against Kilkenny and make changes during the game as necessary?
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Dorcha,I will admit Lehane is working more in his last 2games than he has in the past but maybe that's because there is more competition now and under a new coach he isn't so sure of his place. If that is the case you would have to question his character even more. Today he was the best of the forwards. In the first half the backs and midfield gave in a few high balls into the FF line and Harnedy and Hoggie didn't show any conviction to out muscle their markers. We have to be competitive both with and without the ball. Big doubts over Joyce too, he hasn't the awareness to run with the ball he is more effective keeping it simple. I thought Ellis had a big improvement from last week. The pitch wasn't great which doesn't suit us. The next day will tell us more about the character of the squad. IMO there is a collectiveness about us that we are trying to build on from last year which is encouraging
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Glad to see you are encouraged, Young Bob. Maybe there is something there that I can't see. I found little encouraging about today's match. I will be charitable and say that the desire to fight for the ball in the forwards today was inconsistent. It was well down on last week, which is why I would question whether Myeler is doing too much tinkering with the team. I mean, if you need a new spark plug, you don't buy a new engine. Keep it humming; don't do major surgery.

Wexford had three goal attempts and both were saved. Cork, I think, had five; one finished, two saved, one deflected over for a point and one waved wide. I think the last one - Cahalane's - was deflected for a 65 but we didn't get it. For the second chance, I feel Lehane should have carried the ball in at least a few feet, but he hit it from a standing position, so had not the maximum force. Kingston't chance, he should have hit it low, and Cahalane's, the angle was too narrow.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:27 pm

I was watching the Kk vs Clare match in the pub on the way home. Even though I knew the score it was a thrilling second half. Early February and we getting hurling like that. I'm buzzing in anticipation of what's to come. Sometimes I might be a little harsh on a few players but I really have fierce admiration for all of them. I know they're not forced to do it but the commitment is savage, weather they're in college(exams), working (mortgage), family (sick kids). Maybe this year will be our year maybe it won't I'll be there nonetheless.
Redadare

Postby Redadare » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Are you for real",Lehane not sure of his place" you now questioning his character WTF. You need to look back at some of his stats and performances over the last few years. Stop questioning players after a February loss ,in a back garden pitch, against one of the most defensive teams around. People go to match's to watch players like him,get a grip ffs
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:43 pm

I haven't been questioning any one "after a February afternoon match" I've been questioning him for years. In a battle he is one of the first to drop his head. He seldom passes and attempts shots from crazy angles even when off balance. If I wanted to pay to see a individual play I'd watch tennis or golf. I go to see a team play, tactics and cohesion. The more skillful players shouldn't get away from putting in an honest shift just because of who they are. That's called togetherness and if you ever coached a team you'd know that what wins games.
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:25 am

Redadare wrote:Are you for real",Lehane not sure of his place" you now questioning his character WTF. You need to look back at some of his stats and performances over the last few years. Stop questioning players after a February loss ,in a back garden pitch, against one of the most defensive teams around. People go to match's to watch players like him,get a grip ffs

I was at it in the flesh and while it's unfair to single out Lehane for attention our forwards as a unit had no appetite what so ever for the fight and I can't remember even one dirty ball they won. Any time they got the ball they were swamped and ended up coughing it up.

Thought Michael Cahalane added a bit more fight and aggression when he came on but without Coopers aggression in the second half they ate us without salt.
This also has a knock on effect on our backs as the ball was coming straight back at them.

This isn't a new problem of course and harder ground will help somewhat but it's still the template with which you will beat Cork even in the summer. A team like Galway will blow us off the pitch and unlike Wexford will have the accuracy at the other end as well.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”