Cork Hurlers 2018

cahirofcork

Re: Cork Hurlers 2018

Postby cahirofcork » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Big Cut No Bandage wrote:
Redadare wrote:Are you for real",Lehane not sure of his place" you now questioning his character WTF. You need to look back at some of his stats and performances over the last few years. Stop questioning players after a February loss ,in a back garden pitch, against one of the most defensive teams around. People go to match's to watch players like him,get a grip ffs

I was at it in the flesh and while it's unfair to single out Lehane for attention our forwards as a unit had no appetite what so ever for the fight and I can't remember even one dirty ball they won. Any time they got the ball they were swamped and ended up coughing it up.

Thought Michael Cahalane added a bit more fight and aggression when he came on but without Coopers aggression in the second half they ate us without salt.
This also has a knock on effect on our backs as the ball was coming straight back at them.

This isn't a new problem of course and harder ground will help somewhat but it's still the template with which you will beat Cork even in the summer. A team like Galway will blow us off the pitch and unlike Wexford will have the accuracy at the other end as well.

You hit the nail on the head there BCNB, we have an ongoing issue with securing our own ball up front and as long as that continues we will not bring Liam back home. We also have a lack of penetration/edge in our full forward line. Without Bill Cooper or Harnedy up top to try and win us something in the air we are fucked...simple as. Harnedy is doing the work of 2 or 3 and is getting flogged in matches, I'd say the man is black and blue from the amount of flakes he takes during a match. He is having to come out the field to win us the ball and we are then down a man inside. We are creating goal chances but we are simply not ruthless at all when we get in on goal. We blow a lot of chances yesterday was a case in point. Had we got one of those chances in the second half it would have rocked Wexford back on their heels given the amount of chances they blew.

At the end of the day, I have no issue with Meyler trying guys, He's unearthed 2 good ones in that I can see in O' Donoghue and O' Mahoney but he needs to find another ball winner up front and he needs to give one our inside men licence to go straight for goal if he feels it's on. Kick the fucking thing in if needs be. It's early February yet, pleanty of time to work on things.

BCNB what was the ref like yesterday?
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:51 pm

cahirofcork wrote:
A Wicklow ref and according to the Wexford crowd the short sighted Umpire was his old man. :geek:

He was a go with the flow ref and blew up very little. As a result it was a highly physical game with lots of big hits. one of the Cork fellas behind me was incensed by the lack of frees the Cork forwards got but to me that tune is over 10 years old and not worth playing any more. If you cant beat them join them and the Wexford forwards seemed well able to fight and win their own battles.

A few blatant tugs left go which always annoy me but the swarming of our forwards is something that after 12 years + of it we should be able to deal with at this stage. Look at any Tipp v KK game and you'd see how their forward help each other out and position themselves to receive a pass and are then able to pop a fast shot over the bar.

Not winning any ruck ball at all is unforgivable. Wexford players may be big but are only human and in 50/50 ruck ball we should be aiming to break even, not draw a blank. Surely our forwards can hunt in packs and break tackles as well?
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Big Cut No Bandage wrote:
cahirofcork wrote:
A Wicklow ref and according to the Wexford crowd the short sighted Umpire was his old man. :geek:

He was a go with the flow ref and blew up very little. As a result it was a highly physical game with lots of big hits. one of the Cork fellas behind me was incensed by the lack of frees the Cork forwards got but to me that tune is over 10 years old and not worth playing any more. If you cant beat them join them and the Wexford forwards seemed well able to fight and win their own battles.

A few blatant tugs left go which always annoy me but the swarming of our forwards is something that after 12 years + of it we should be able to deal with at this stage. Look at any Tipp v KK game and you'd see how their forward help each other out and position themselves to receive a pass and are then able to pop a fast shot over the bar.

Not winning any ruck ball at all is unforgivable. Wexford players may be big but are only human and in 50/50 ruck ball we should be aiming to break even, not draw a blank. Surely our forwards can hunt in packs and break tackles as well?

Cheers BCNB, If the team and management didn't realise what they were going to get in Wexford Park yesterday esp with that maniac in charge of them, then none of them should be left near a hurling pitch. As far as I would be concerned you treat games like yesterday as ones where you are going to get sweet F.A. off the ref anyway and get on with it.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 pm

To me the ref had nothing to do with it. I said at HT that Cork were operating without a Full Forward line and it was worse in the second half. Unless theres a certain type of ball going into our wristy forwards, then forget it and teams have copped onto it; we're a bit 1 dimensional. Only February so no cause for concern as yet
Redadare

Postby Redadare » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Maybe you should go watch some tennis or golf,because it obvious you know fuckall bout hurling, never passes, shoots from impossible angles, give me a break. Your mixing him up with a Douglas and Glen player I think haha. How many times in important matches had he scored from those,many I think. Only the top class players have the ability and confidence to take on those shots and you want to see tactics and all that shite. Take up chess. You've been questioning him for year's ! At this stage you should have your answer ,recognised by people in the know as one if the top forwards in the country. But really who gives a shit what you question, his teammates and managers wouldn't. Scored from play in every championship match he's played in,since day one . That's the basis for any top forward,its all about scores on the board when whistle blows. So chill the beans and stick to chess.
expat

Postby expat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Better ideas again of who can and who cant hack it. Collins was v good but not as good as Nash at hitting the green grass that our lack of ball winning forwards needs. I am not on the "Conor O Sullivan a top sweeper" team as I thought he bombed a lot of ball down on top of dominant Wexford areas. I don't think he is a championship corner back in the sense that Com Spillane is and Sean O Donoghue might yet be. I would go O Donoghue Cahalane Spillane Joyce was roasted by Chin but only in the first half in fairness. Tim O Mahony is worth the investment but it may well mean no all Ireland for a few more years as he will need time and no team wins won without a battle hardened 6.Ellis does not fancy the man to man stuff and just cannot mark.I would go Joyce Mahony Coleman. Bill is the man and Fitzgibbon and Kearney as the middle 3. Robbie Flynn is an impact player in my book and should be coming off the bench to have most impact. Lehane has to start as he is the best we have for 43 minutes out of 70. For me its Kearney or Meade but not both as they are too similar. Kingston will come good with patience and this could well be his year . Cadogan will get his Seanie Mc Grath impact and is needed for that with Hoggie to love the hard ground. Harnedy if he can stay injury free to flit between 12 and 15. Mikey C Robbie O F and Luke M as impact subs and we have a decent set up
Nash
Spillane Cahalane O Donoghue
Joyce O Mahony Coleman
Cooper Fitz Kearney
Harnedy Lehane Kingston
Hoggie Cadogan

O Flynn, Mikey, Luke, Cadogan, ?? to impact
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:46 am

expat wrote:Better ideas again of who can and who cant hack it. Collins was v good but not as good as Nash at hitting the green grass that our lack of ball winning forwards needs. I am not on the "Conor O Sullivan a top sweeper" team as I thought he bombed a lot of ball down on top of dominant Wexford areas. I don't think he is a championship corner back in the sense that Com Spillane is and Sean O Donoghue might yet be. I would go O Donoghue Cahalane Spillane Joyce was roasted by Chin but only in the first half in fairness. Tim O Mahony is worth the investment but it may well mean no all Ireland for a few more years as he will need time and no team wins won without a battle hardened 6.Ellis does not fancy the man to man stuff and just cannot mark.I would go Joyce Mahony Coleman. Bill is the man and Fitzgibbon and Kearney as the middle 3. Robbie Flynn is an impact player in my book and should be coming off the bench to have most impact. Lehane has to start as he is the best we have for 43 minutes out of 70. For me its Kearney or Meade but not both as they are too similar. Kingston will come good with patience and this could well be his year . Cadogan will get his Seanie Mc Grath impact and is needed for that with Hoggie to love the hard ground. Harnedy if he can stay injury free to flit between 12 and 15. Mikey C Robbie O F and Luke M as impact subs and we have a decent set up
Nash
Spillane Cahalane O Donoghue
Joyce O Mahony Coleman
Cooper Fitz Kearney
Harnedy Lehane Kingston
Hoggie Cadogan

O Flynn, Mikey, Luke, Cadogan, ?? to impact

Good post expat, makes a lot of sense, would rather us play a proper inside forward line but maybe I'm wishing and harkening back to old times and looking for goals.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Two Strikers! Did I ever think I would see the day? Goals can still be got with a two-man inside forward line if they win the initial ball in - which they should be capable of doing - but they need support from the half forward line who must come in to support them instead of standing off outside.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Dorcha wrote:Two Strikers! Did I ever think I would see the day? Goals can still be got with a two-man inside forward line if they win the initial ball in - which they should be capable of doing - but they need support from the half forward line who must come in to support them instead of standing off outside.

Never thought I'd see the day when ground hurling is all but gone out of the game and we have those fucking rucks instead, awful shit to watch.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Redadare, you should go to matches instead of looking at TV. You'd see then how little "your sunshine boy" does when he ball isn't put into his hand. Keep watching the highlights and come September give him an All Star. Checkmate :lol:

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”