Cork Hurlers 2018

BluffersAlley

Re: Cork Hurlers 2018

Postby BluffersAlley » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 am

I know Patrick Collins was named as sub-goalie, But did I see Ger Collins wearing the No.16 ?
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am

I just want to say that I thought 14,700 was a shocking crowd for a Munster championship game, especially against two teams with a recent history of great games. Dead rubber, be hanged; we still want to beat each other.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 am

Dorcha wrote:I just want to say that I thought 14,700 was a shocking crowd for a Munster championship game, especially against two teams with a recent history of great games. Dead rubber, be hanged; we still want to beat each other.

Poor crowd alright, but given the nature of the result people might have held off for financial reasons. I for one I for one, being at the other games, decided to keep the money in the pocket for the Munster football final this weekend (with one eye looking forward to a munster hurling final also). Its an expensive hobby supporting Cork Gaa.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am

Matty Hislop wrote:
Dorcha wrote:I just want to say that I thought 14,700 was a shocking crowd for a Munster championship game, especially against two teams with a recent history of great games. Dead rubber, be hanged; we still want to beat each other.

Poor crowd alright, but given the nature of the result people might have held off for financial reasons. I for one I for one, being at the other games, decided to keep the money in the pocket for the Munster football final this weekend (with one eye looking forward to a munster hurling final also). Its an expensive hobby supporting Cork Gaa.

It's the first time in years I laughed when I heard the crowd announced. I thought it was far, far more than that.
bronxrebe;

Postby bronxrebe; » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:42 pm

It was a foregone conclusion that the last round games could be at least partially compromised with the new system. Is it not obvious that Waterford supporters would be less likely to make the trip having already been eliminated?
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm

If you had a relegation playoff between the last team in Munster and Leinster that would guarantee good competitive matches to end ...
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Again I question the management. When we had an extra man against Limerick Meyler replaced O Donoghue with TOM and changed the defensive setup in doing it. The obvious change was COS and use him as a sweeper (where he has excelled in previous games). Yesterday Meyler replaced O Donoghue with COS and Conor didn't put a pass astray. Last time Meyler started Brosnan and gave Coughlan two minutes, yesterday they got no look in. It seems to me the management are still unsure of their replacements after 4 games.
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:13 pm

CORKFAN wrote:If you had a relegation playoff between the last team in Munster and Leinster that would guarantee good competitive matches to end ...

Honestly Corkfan based on their performances I am not sure Offaly would have been capable of laying a glove on either Waterford or Tipp if it came to it. However it does seem unfair that there is relegation in Leinster and not in Munster but I do believe at the moment that there is a significant difference in the ability of the team finishing 5th in Leinster vs the team finishing 5th in Munster.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 pm

I am one of those 10,000 rebels who didn't make the trip to Thurles yesterday, for exactly the same reasons as Matty above. And while I thought it would be tricky, I still expected Cork to win. Seems the Cork team had the same mindset...except maybe the 'tricky' bit.

I listened to the whole game live on C103 while watching Clare v Limerick on mute. 24 hours later my brain is still trying to straighten itself out!!

So going on what I listened to yesterday, the snippets I saw on the Sunday Game, and what I've seen live in the previous 3 games, I still can't figure out where this Cork team is at. Very flat yesterday by all accounts, bar a few sporadic bursts in the 2nd half to get the job done. Very good periods mixed with very average periods throughout the previous 3 games. Could have lost to Tipp & Limerick but also could and should have won both. The only consistent trend emerging is the inconsistency of performance.

I'd love to think we're playing with some of the shackles still on and timing our run to peak performance in August. But I don't believe this is the case, we don't have the luxury of being able to just switch it on when we have to, nor the confidence or belief of having been there/done that. I don't think we're making best use of our panel, or maybe the options off the bench are more limited than we had hoped.

Anyway, we are where we wanted to be regardless of how we got there. The Munster Final will tell us more about this team, already people saying that Clare will want/need it more than us but I don't get that...not like this team has 3 or 4 AIs in their pockets and winning Munster must be seen as further laying down our credentials.

Ona positive note, only 3 wins away from an All-Ireland!!
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Clare won't make the mistake they did in the first game by putting Tony Kelly midfield. Bill Cooper didn't give him any chance of getting into the match. Cooper blocked and tracked his every move. It was only when Clare moved Kelly into the hf line that he did any damage to us. Bill's concentration of man marking Kelly that day was top class. I can't see Clare being that foolish again.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”