Cork u20 football 2018

Keyboard_warrior

Re: Cork u20 football 2018

Postby Keyboard_warrior » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Was relatively satisfied with this display on Saturday but 1 or 2 things that will have to be fixed before we take on Kerry.

The team selection was a bit hard to understand for me. The 2 best midfielders that are available in my view are the 2 Mitchelstown men. Mark Keane and Seán Walsh. Keane was played full forward and it didn't really work. Seán Walsh came off the bench and did very well, scoring 3 points in a good 20 minute cameo. There should be a change there for the Clare game. Even Tadhg Corkery who was wing back could do a job there and he was impressive in this game.

I have to rein myself in a bit as the Leaving cert complicated matters with the panel and selection. Maybe management were just looking to get over this game and were trying a few things out. Will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Goalie was very good I thought. Some very smart short kickouts. 1 or 2 a little bit astray but partly down to poor awareness by defenders. Very good under the high ball he was. There are 1 or 2 of our backs who will need to be a lot sharper if we look down the line, but Liam O'Donovan, Aidan Browne, Tadhg Corkery and Tom Lenihan (I'd never heard of this lad, but has serious cut) were all good. Kevin O'Donovan could come in and be a plus here somewhere. Also, strange that Alan McCarthy from barrs was an unused sub. This guy is a serious defender. Midfield needs a change as I said. Don't want to be harsh on young lads but I'd be adamant on it.
Forwards, we have firepower to trouble any team. Jones from Uibh Laoire was the main weapon in Tipp game but Bradley was very accurate in 1st half too. These 2 are tremendous from placed balls, left and right on top of that, which is crucial. I don't know if Mark Buckley will be back, but it would be a bonus if that happens. Cillian Murray is a real good finisher and showed it here and Mark Cronin is another good option. Bit inexperienced yet though at 18. Seán Walsh must come into contention at midfield or further up surely and he is a huge man with pace who can finish also. Colm O'Callaghan was a bit rusty in Tipp game, but I believe was stuck in exams so won't be hard on him for the moment. Another man with great running power if used correctly. Very similar to Pearse O'Neill.

All in all, very hopeful that with some adjustment we can give Kerry a rattle with this squad. They'll be massive favourites, which suits too.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:41 pm

CORKFAN wrote:Great result lads this is a very good Cork team and will get better young Murray crashed the net like his Dad used to do , Liam O Donovan led the team he was outstanding and young Gore won everything this fella can become one of those x factor players ..this is a good setup and nearly 1200 at the game there is hope for Cork football yet...

You're not talking about Fionan Murray, are you? Superbly talented, but a bit of a firecracker.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Yeah Fionans Son firecracker yes ! but got plenty of championship goals...
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:35 am

The Cork U20 football team to play Clare in tomorrow's Munster Championship Semi-Final in Pairc Ui Rinn @ 7.30pm has been announced as follows.

1. Ian Giltinan - Carrigaline
2. Nathan Walsh - Douglas
3. Brian Murphy - Nemo Rangers
4. Liam O Donovan - Clonakilty - Captain
5. Tadhg Corkery - Cill Na Matra
6. Aidan Browne - Newmarket
7. Kevin O Donovan - Nemo Rangers
8. Maurice Shanley - Clonakilty
9. Jack Ryan - Ballymartle
10. Mark Keane - Mitchelstown
11. Colm O Callaghan - Eire Og
12. Cathal Maguire - Castlehaven
13. Chris Og Jones - Iveleary
14. Mathew Bradley - Aghabullogue
15. Damien Gore - Kilmacabea
Subs
16. Eoin Kelleher - Eire Og
17. Alan McCarthy - St Finbarrs
18. Sean O Sullivan - Mitchelstown
19. Liam Wall - Kilmurry
20. Sean Walsh - Mitchelstown
21. Killian Murray Myers - St Finbarrs
22. Mark Buckley - Dohenys
23. Colm Barrett - St Finbarrs
24. Blake Murphy - St Vincent's

No7 Tom Linehan (St.Michaels) gone completely from panel? Was he badly injured v Tipp? Match report doesn't say that. Mark Cronin (Nemo) and Donagh Shorten (Ballingeary) replaced on subs bench by Mark Buckley (Dohenys) and Blake Murphy (St.Vincents).
It always seems like a tough break for young lads to be discarded completely not having had a chance to show their stuff but then again who would want to be a manager making those tough calls.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Tom linehan went off injured the last night and Mark Buckley was always going to come back class player and young Blake Murphy is a serious talent as well...I think it shows the talent in this setup that Matk Cronin is not on the 24 but again hes very young no fear of him .
Keyboard_warrior

Postby Keyboard_warrior » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Mixed feelings about that squad named. As I was hoping for Kevin O'Donovan comes back into the team. Tom Lenihan is injured and certainly wouldn't have been the one to lose out in my view based on the Tipperary game. Great to see Buckley and Blake Murphy back in squad too. Great options to have on bench and both capable of starting if they get fit.
On the other hand if they go with the same midfield again I'd be a bit disappointed. I know there may be an element of not showing a full hand yet, which is fine, but there should be at least 1 change here for this game I think. We should be winning this even more comfortably than the Tipp game anyway so it won't matter a huge deal I'd imagine but I don't fancy that midfield against Kerry if that is what they are looking at.

Mark Cronin is barely 18, so has 2 more years at this level. No insult to him not making this squad. He's one who will star at this level yet.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Full time.

Cork 1-16; Clare 0-15

Cork led by 8 points at one stage, but them Clare scored 5 points in about eight minutes.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Sounds like a very stiff test any one at it lads could ye put up a report ...could not make it I am a bad twitter follower ….cheers .
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Not so good, I'm afraid.

No great plan or evidence of much work done on the training ground. Kickouts slow and ponderous with no movement or options given. Defensive strategy uncertain (left Clare play two-on-two inside and totally wasted our sweeper). Poor ball into the forwards. Players played in odd positions. Odd substitutions.

Positives: A few serious prospects.

1. Ian Giltinan: Needs to speed up his kickouts, but wasn't helped by total absence of movement.
2. Nathan Walsh: Fine display. Left inside two-on-two but coped admirably. Tough with good defensive technique. Bizzarely taken off with twelve minutes to go.
3. Brian Murphy: The other man left inside. Struggled at times but was on a good man.
4. Liam O' Donovan: His man played further out which freed O' Donovan to attacks and will. He did, to geat effect. A Captain's performance.
5. Tadhg Corkery: Taken off at half-time. Had been quiet and misplaced a couple of balls, but not terrible by any means. Is capable of better.
6. Aidan Browne: Struggled on the excellent Dermot Coughlan. Needs to be more physical than tonight.
7. Kevin O' Donovan: Played as the sweeper some of the time but too far out to stop the ball going in and not far enough out to attack the runner. Wasted.
8. Maurice Shanley: Fine first half. Not sure why he didnt resurface for the second half. I liked the look of his fielding, intelligence and technique.
11. Colm O' Callaghan: Mixed the good with the bad. Scored a nice point and set up some nice attacks, but often forced passes that weren't on.
20. Sean Walsh: Very industrious, ran the right wing tirelessly.
13. Chris Óg Jones: Cork's best player on the night. Superb technique, pace and dribblng skills, scored 1-08, 1-05 from play and looked lethal every time he touched the ball. Missed a couple late on but this lad's going all the way. He's getting better every year.
12. Cathal Maguire: Missed two goal chances in the first half, but got into good positions. Still, quiet enough.
15. Damien Gore: Quiet by his standards.
10. Mark Keane: Wasted at full-forward for the first half, like a good horse in a stable. Moved to centrefield at half-time and while looking coltish and making some mistakes turned the game. Another who needs to be less polite, but he has it all in fairness.
14. Matthew Bradley: Another taken off harshly at half-time (unless he was injured). Lovely player who nailed two nice points and one free while on.

Subs:

18. Sean O' Sullivan for 5 HT: did ok.
23. Colm Barrett for 14 HT: Thundered into it, scored two points and delivered thrust.
22. Mark Buckey for 8 HT: Added to Cork's cause. Looked good.
24. Bake Murphy for 12 41 mins: Did ok.
17. Alan McCarthy for 2 48 mins: Bizzare, as I've said, to bring Walsh off unless it was a knock but good to see McCarthy. Good lad, this one. Unlucky not to start and put his hand up tonight.
21. Killian Murray Myers for 15 53 mins: Only got a couple of touches and played sensibly and for the team. Another good man.

The highlight of the night was the display by Jonah Culligan for Clare. Superb player with a great future. Dermot Coughlan and Joe McGann also very impressive.

Cork have a load to do. They look like they haven't done much. On this evidence the final will be a challenge. But there's some real talent in the team.
Last edited by Podsy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks Podsy, we'll have to up it several notches it seems. Report from Denis Hurley here - http://www.the42.ie/cork-clare-munster- ... 2-Jun2018/

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”