County Convention Sunday 13th December 2015

tipp-ex

Re: County Convention Sunday 13th December 2015

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:07 am

Cork have 11 I think. I know how they operate at Congress. Ever see the film 21?
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:14 am

The CPA and GPA both were against the super 8 and yet the county delegates voted in favour, so they either have no respect for the views of either organisation or the nodding donkey syndrome has spread further a field. The super 8 will be Duffy's legacy in the same way Sean Kelly had his legacy.
If you think about this practically, they voted to shorten the championship season by bringing the finals forward a month and then added two games to it, now am I missing something, how does this benefit anyone other that the coffers at Croker. Can wait to see the Dubs play in Parnell in front of 13k :-)
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

I appreciate the logic in bringing the AI Finals forward into August, and traditions aside re Sept, do feel it is worth trying.

But I don't really get this Super 8 business. Am I missing something here? Who benefits? Ok, extra games = extra revenues but other than that what is the main argument in favour? The CPA & GPA apparently don't want it, it does nothing to ease the club fixture situation and has anyone considered the supporters? ( and the potential cost to diehards possibly travelling to Croke Park 3 times in 5 weeks...unlikely in Cork's case any time soon but anyway....)

Plus does anyone else dislike the term " Super 8". Incidental point I know, but I just think its a lazy effort at applying a glitzy term to what are still essentially quarter finals. Conveys an image of professional sport, which is of course the last thing the GAA really wants!

Not sure what an appropriate alternative term should be but sure there's nothing wrong with " the Round Robin stage of the Qualifiers that comes after the Provincial and qualifying Qualifier stages of the All=Ireland Football Championship"

Love to hear our SKY TV brethern get their tongues around that !!
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Sinbin wrote:I appreciate the logic in bringing the AI Finals forward into August, and traditions aside re Sept, do feel it is worth trying.

But I don't really get this Super 8 business. Am I missing something here? Who benefits? Ok, extra games = extra revenues but other than that what is the main argument in favour? The CPA & GPA apparently don't want it, it does nothing to ease the club fixture situation and has anyone considered the supporters? ( and the potential cost to diehards possibly travelling to Croke Park 3 times in 5 weeks...unlikely in Cork's case any time soon but anyway....)

Plus does anyone else dislike the term " Super 8". Incidental point I know, but I just think its a lazy effort at applying a glitzy term to what are still essentially quarter finals. Conveys an image of professional sport, which is of course the last thing the GAA really wants!

Not sure what an appropriate alternative term should be but sure there's nothing wrong with " the Round Robin stage of the Qualifiers that comes after the Provincial and qualifying Qualifier stages of the All=Ireland Football Championship"

Love to hear our SKY TV brethern get their tongues around that !!

Someone told me the Super 8 name was made up by the media
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat May 27, 2017 11:52 am

Any news from these monthly CCB meetings? Just spotted there was one on Tuesday evening. Nothing, not a peep. Are they held in secret now?
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Hearing Ger Lane refused to deal with the letter from Freemount
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am

Here's one man keeping his eye on the ball anyway.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 56881.html
jbm1

Postby jbm1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:18 pm

It's so important that we (the clubs) give him the support he needs and deserves
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm

He's definitely going for at least the vice chair from reading that interview. Best of luck to him.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”