Senior Football Club Championship 2018

Lurker

Re: Senior Football Club Championship 2018

Postby Lurker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:23 am

Buzzkill wrote:I noticed Robert o Mahony wasn't there is he not playing football this year?

He played for their Intermediates against Knocknagree a few weeks ago.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Carbery Rangers 1-18, Conakilty 0-11.

I was hoping to get commentry of Nemo v Castlehaven but when I put on 103fm there, they're playing music! What's that about? Is it not a sports program?

True. There was more Phil Collins than Mark Collins.
I don't know how common it is around the country but I know of one county where club matches are streamed live on the internet for €5 from quarter finals on. Great for people away from home. Sometimes people living abroad have more interest in a match than those at home. With all the Cork people around the world it might work.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:39 am

Maurice Banks wrote:True. There was more Phil Collins than Mark Collins

:D :D
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Nobody to be relegated this year. This championship continues to grow
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm

First semi final - Duhallow 0-15, Castlehaven 0-15.
The Haven with a couple of late scores
redinsf

Postby redinsf » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:05 pm

tipp-ex wrote:First semi final - Duhallow 0-15, Castlehaven 0-15.

8 late scores to be precice. According to twitter it was 15 to 0-07 after 54 minutes.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:50 pm

redinsf wrote:
tipp-ex wrote:First semi final - Duhallow 0-15, Castlehaven 0-15.

8 late scores to be precice. According to twitter it was 15 to 0-07 after 54 minutes.

Yeah. Remarkable comeback. A man down and playing into wind as well. Fair play to them.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Barrs into another final, 0-15 to 0-12
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:07 pm

On the one hand, an entertaining day of football, on the other hand a worrying day as a Cork fan.

Not one established player today turned a head, not one newbie stuck the lámh up and screeched "pick me", and we suffered the same old weak-ass refereeing that produces the sane old weak-ass players.

The refereeing first, so. Every bit of contact whistled but the hard calls dodged. The result was hauling and dragging but no aggression. In modern-day Cork football you can, and will, foul every thirty seconds and get blown every one hundred and twenty, you will do it regularly to stop any actual football being played and maybe your management will use one of their six robot subs begore you exceed your farcical collection of ticks, chats, warnings, yellows, blacks and reds. But you will have stopped all football being played (and you will have rolled around a fair bit looking for frees yerself).

Cork refs have to get together and decide if they are going to allow this trend to destroy Cork football as it has destroyed other sports.

Next, newbies. No-one stood out over the two games to me as a potential Cork player. That's not to right anyone off, every day is different. Slightly disappointing, though, that we didn't come away buzzing about one possible star.

As for the established stars, a mixed bag:-

1) Haven - Collins should have run the ar$e off Walsh but just stood beside him. He was quiet and ineffective as a result. When Haven moved him away from Walsh for the last 10-15 into corner forward then he took off and swung the game. Brian Hurley was isolated by Haven's tactics, I thought, and is still clearly feeling his way back from injury, they got very little ball to him. Michael Hurley was far more dangerous but also isolated, slightly more effective. Cahalane was monumental once they moved him to centrefield. Colossal. The only Inter-County performance on show today.

2) Duhallow - Crowley on Michael Hurley was a good match-up before Crowley got back-carded.

3) Ross - No-one of note. The old heads played very well and wisely in the first half, but the entire team faded in the second. I just do not like their style of football, to be honest, but you have to admire them as competitors.

4) Barrs - Sherlock was rushed and erratic in the first half, clinical in the second. Won the game for the Barrs. Maguire stormed into it in the last quarter, played the percentages well, drove on, won loads of frees (looks for the frees too often as my wise old companion said today) but was quietly impressive. Sam Ryan continues to impress.

Overall, an uninspiring day to be a Cork GAA fan, I felt.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am

Commentators predicted 3 mins of injury time in the first match. The board threw up 5 and Haven eventually equalised closer to 7. Was this as farcical as it sounds Podsy or was there some justification? Either way, fair play to the Haven for not giving in, seven points down, a man down and playing into the wind I believe. The much maligned Cahalane is a loss to the footballers, no doubt. McSweeney got three from play for Duhallow, did he not throw his hand up? Still only 19/20.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”