Senior Football Club Championship 2018

Lurker

Re: Senior Football Club Championship 2018

Postby Lurker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 am

Ranty wrote:The Barrs today proved that a good club side will nearly always beat a good divisional side.

Great report as always, Ranty. Maybe this bit is a little unfair though in the circumstances. It's probably a sound theory in a general sense but this Duhallow team showed character and resolve that any club team would be proud of over the last four weeks. They looked dead on their feet in the second half on Sunday and still dragged themselves back into contention on a couple of occasions, having fallen a few points adrift. Indeed, only for the referee deciding to throw the ball in for what looked like mild retaliation at worst, Duhallow had a free to potentially level the match at the end of normal time. Incidentally, neither The Examiner or Echo mentioned this in their match reports.

Congrats to Barrs. It was a long wait for a club of their stature and history. Unfortunately I can't see them troubling Crokes too much, they just don't have a decent enough spread of natural forwards (despite managing 3-14!).
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks for the reports lads and congratulations to the Barrs. I didn’t see the game but many of the reports I’ve read talk about it being a different style to inter county. Then I look at the scores put up by both sides and I worry that it doesn’t look great for the defences. Is that unfair? Were there any signs that there might have been some defensive talent for Ronan and Co to look at?
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:23 am

Congratulations to the Barrs, a great achievement after years in the wilderness.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:42 pm

I don't think it's unfair, both were loose enough at times. The first two Barrs goals came from direct running right through the centre with little in the way of a tackle being made. I heard similar concerns about the Kerry championship being a bit too free scoring though. Maybe it's just early signs that teams are starting to be influenced by Dublin's winning style, rather than Donegal's. We could do with unearthing a couple of ruthless backs though for sure.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Ranty wrote:The Barrs today proved that a good club side will nearly always beat a good divisional side. It was a very enjoyable game of football 3-14 to 2-14 says it all. Plenty scores and lots of good football by both teams.
Maguire was incredible and drove at the Duhallow defenders all day. Having said that, Aidan Walsh had one of his better games and on today's showing he will be a loss to the county team. They weren't marking each other and both had significant influence on the game.
Sherlock score 1-9 (9frees) and the other goals were scored by wing back Colin Lyons and wing forward Denis O Brien.
Jamie Burns started at No 3 instead of Glen O Connor and got himself a Yellow card early in the game for a footblock resulting in a penalty converted by the ageless Donncha. Barrs were led by 1-3 to 2 points after 10 minutes and it didn't look good for them. A bout of smashing good football and three or four lightning fast passes put Sherlock free and he made no mistake. A really good goal and we knew then that we had a game to savour.
Duhallow led at half time 2-7 to 1-7 after Seamus HIckey finished off another bout of good passing by Duhallow. They were playing into the city end and with a little breeze or should I say zephyr.
The second half was nick and tuck until near the end when Doyle the Duhallow keeper made a horlicks out of a restart and no better boys that the blues to punish this. They scored 1-1 in rapid succession to go 3 points up with 5 minutes ( +3 extra) to go. Donncha came out foraging for ball and got it on his own half back line. He was tackled hard by two boys in blue but managed to deliver a delightful kick of at least 50 yards into Hickey who was fouled for a tap over free. They came again and got another tap over free and there was only a point between them with 2 minutes left. Barrs were very good with their subs introduction towards the end and Barrett and Finn made a huge contribution at this stage. A couple of hard earned points in extra time got them over the line.
Had to feel sorry for Donncha as of all the footballers I have seen he is up there with the best and deserves a county medal. On the other hand Shields finally gets his hands on a medal and he deserves some praise for his contribution to Cork and his club.
The game was played in a fine sporting manner and ref David Murnane from Macroom had an easy time. He did get a few calls wrong but overall he was fair to both teams.
It was a mighty performance by the Barrs when you consider they were without intercounty man Sam Ryan and future star Myers Murray.
From a Cork point of view we didn't see any new talent emerging, apart from Sherlock's improvement and increasing ability to win 50/50 ball. With Sam Ryan returning and perhaps young Murray they might rattle the Crokes later on if they meet. For now though, the celebrations will ring out loud in the land of the blues and there won't be a cow milked in Togher tomorrow. :lol: :lol:

Great report Ranty, thanks as always...brings it to life for someone who didn't see the game. And fair play to Finbarrs, couldn't say it wasn't deserved after 33 years and lots of heartbreakin the interim. Would love to see them give Munster a right rattle now.

But I'd have to disagree on this point.. "The Barrs today proved that a good club side will nearly always beat a good divisional side", in fairness Duhallow would have emptied the tank in those games with Castlehaven and maybe the tank wasn't full on Sunday. The Barrs had a cleaner build-up to the Final, with a decent mix of training and rest time.

Also, Imokilly proved in hurling that no club team comes near them at the moment...I know some divisional teams are better organised, better motivated, & more talented than others...it all comes down to those factors at any given time.

In fairness though, you did qualify it by saying "nearly always"!!
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:02 pm

That's my story and I'm sticking to it......................... :lol: :lol:
exile67

Postby exile67 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 am

In the first 20 minutes of this match and in patches thereafter, Duhallow looked the better footballing side. DOC was the standout player of the first half. Everything that came his way he used to best effect with a combination of athleticism, skill and intelligence, still showing in his twilight years that he is the best Cork footballer of the past twenty years.

Having hung onto Duhallow's coat-tails, the Barrs started to hold their own coming into half-time. Michael Shields grew in confidence in his role and like all good players did the simple things well and to best effect. Duhallow started to wane and this showed in the kick-out strategy where both the goalie and outfield recipients weren't at their sharpest. The Barrs proved to have strength in-depth and were utterly clinical when the chances arose.

Maguire was superb, including in how he helped turn the screw when the opportunities presented themselves but I'm not convinced that at IC level he has the all-round game to command such a controlling part in affairs (who could?). I would have been very critical of Aidan Walsh in recent years because I felt he was outstanding as a teenager in 2009 and 2010 and lost it subsequently. For the first 50 minutes last Sunday, he showed a lot of what was on show in those years including precise footpassing and making the right calls. I know he has been dropped from the IC football squad but an AW acting in a defensive midfield role to IM's more freelance role could serve Cork well, unless there are other midfield options coming through. Are there?
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Crokes v Barrs BEO on Sunday from 1pm (throw-in 1:30)
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Lurker wrote:Crokes v Barrs BEO on Sunday from 1pm (throw-in 1:30)

Good news Lurker. Saves me filling the tank in the Morris Minor. :lol:
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Men against boys here.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”