Senior Hurling Championship 2018

Sinbin

Re: Senior Hurling Championship 2018

Postby Sinbin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

To be honest, I thought it was a disappointing game in many respects.

Imokilly were always in control and credit to them for that but as a neutral I was hoping for some real cut & thrust hurling, which we didn't get. Some good hurling and nice scores but in a way that's a reflection of Cork hurling these days, not enough intensity or real aggression. The scoreline reflected that, as scores were taken far too easily without a hand being laid on the scorer.

From a Cork perspective, didn't see anything to get excited about for next year. Nothing new in this but Seamus Harnedy has proved himself a real leader and Bill Cooper is in the same vein. Midleton lacked go-to guys of that calibre and its obvious Conor Lehane is not fit. Will be interesting to see if he plays v Ballygunner because its clear as day he needs a break to get his injuries sorted out.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:02 am

donal66 wrote:any potential new prospects for the blood + bandage next year !
is luke o'farrell worth a shot again !

I can't imagine Luke being interested again. He did the training for years even when he wasn't starting. He never complained. He contributed to the game every time he was brought on. He was dropped from the panel for no good reason.

In an interview during last week he commented how intense it was with Cork hurlers, reiterating that he didn't step down, that "the decision was made for me". He seemed relaxed and said how easy it was now to manage things "between your life and your hurling."
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 am

Sinbin wrote:To be honest, I thought it was a disappointing game in many respects.

Imokilly were always in control and credit to them for that but as a neutral I was hoping for some real cut & thrust hurling, which we didn't get. Some good hurling and nice scores but in a way that's a reflection of Cork hurling these days, not enough intensity or real aggression. The scoreline reflected that, as scores were taken far too easily without a hand being laid on the scorer.

From a Cork perspective, didn't see anything to get excited about for next year. Nothing new in this but Seamus Harnedy has proved himself a real leader and Bill Cooper is in the same vein. Midleton lacked go-to guys of that calibre and its obvious Conor Lehane is not fit. Will be interesting to see if he plays v Ballygunner because its clear as day he needs a break to get his injuries sorted out.

Fair play to Bill Cooper and Seamus Harnedy, but it must be said that they had plenty of able assistance. Luke O'Farrell, on the other hand, ploughed a lone furrow. I thought he did as well as anyone possibly could. With the spark missing from the other fellows, he was on his own.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Well done to Imokilly who were deserved winners. Hard luck to Midleton who did well to hang in there but were always running hard just to keep up when it looked Imokilly could go up another gear if needed. A couple of observations:-

- work rate. Problem in Cork hurling and evident at times yesterday that when something went wrong for a Midleton player in terms of losing possession too many of them tended to give up the ghost rather than work twice as hard to at least make it hard for the opposing player to do something positive with the ball. Some of Imokilly’s scores were great team scores but Imokilly players were under no pressure;

- refereeing. a lot of the frees given early in the game would not have been awarded at county level. Ironically some of the challenges later in the game that were allowed go were worse than ones frees were awarded for later on. That said, the stamp was a straight red that wasn’t given;

- I agree with Dorcha about Midleton’s plan of launching ball down on top of Colm Spillane. It was obvious very quickly it wasn’t working;

- I hope Midleton can pick themselves up for the Munster game. They are possibly still a year off but with a better work rate and less space in front of the full back line they could put up a decent challenge.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Imokilly are some team not a weak link Deccie Dalton and Ger Mellirick a subs not bad ! a pity they cant play in the club championship ...one player that I think is one for the future is Sean O Leary Hayes yes he has a lot to learn and Seamie taught him a few harsh lessons yesterday but I like this fella dare I say but he reminds me a bit like the Rock ...still only 19 but injury free watch this fella.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm

45,000 for a charity soccer match there a few weeks ago at €50 a pop.
10,000 for two hurling finals yesterday at €25 a pop.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 am

“If you look back over the years, crowds have been dwindling for a number of years now and particularly when you factor in that we had a divisional team involved, it tends to affect the crowd in a normal situation anyway. I don’t think there’s any dramatic decrease in the crowd.”

"Crowds are decreasing" so let's speed up that decrease. How can they get so distanced from ordinary people?

Personally, I think they'd want to promote the leagues a little more. They've shown such disrespect for what is the second biggest competition in the county to the point of allowing free access to the games, yet juvenile games have a bigger attendance. The fixtures should be given a prominent special page on the county board website, along with the ongoing tables. A little notice in Friday's newspapers wouldn't go amiss either. Make it sound important and more people will come. Give it the status of challenge matches and only a few relations and friends of the players will turn up.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Just a question lads, does anyone know if Fergal Condon has or even been asked to have an involvement with any of our intercounty sides, underage or otherwise?
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:37 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Tracy's disappointed

Tracey doesn't come off very well in that for me. €25 is steep, I think most people agree on that. Justifying it by mentioning the facilities is ridiculous stuff. Just because we finally have a stadium fit for purpose we need to pay more? For what exactly?... the privilege of not having somebody's knees digging into your spine? Or for having access to overpriced burgers and chips?

"Croke Park issued a directive that €20 has to be the minimum price anyway.

That’s the base starting point for every county and we hadn’t increased our ticket prices in 12 years, which is a pretty long time without an increase. As well, it’s important to point out that tickets were available online for €22 until midnight on Saturday night."

This also appears to be well wide of the mark - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 75996.html

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”