Cork U21 Hurling 2018

Twohands

Re: Cork U21 Hurling 2018

Postby Twohands » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:47 pm

I would say the difference between yesterday and the seniors is that the seniors probably performed better than the sum of their parts this year. Yesterday the performance was less than the sum of the team's parts. That was the most disappointing aspect. We know this team is better than it showed yesterday. Credit to Tipp for making that happen, but questions need to be asked about how we let it happen to us. The loss in the minor final last year could be put down to injuries to key players in the run in and on the day. No such excuses yesterday though really. Turnbull wasn't fully fit but we didn't need to depend on him if everything else was going right.

A few of the players who looked like senior prospects may not make it if yesterday turns out to be their level on big days. Hopefully it was an off day and they'll bounce back. Anyone on the sideline who had hopes of moving up at some point will probably need to re evaluate those plans and hopes too.
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 pm

The "yerra what about it" talk has started already. I even heard a fella saying it while I was walking back to the car on the Ennis road yesterday "There's the makings of a good senior team there". But that's delusional talk.
The fact is we haven't won an U-21 All-Ireland for twenty years and we desperately wanted to end that wait. We had a golden opportunity to do that yesterday and we blew it. I don't see any positives in that at all.
Saying otherwise is just the kind of talk that has got the Cork footballers where they are today (and we sure as hell don't want to end up like them).
How many U-21 All-Ireland's have Tipp and Kilkenny won since 1998? Do you think a Kilkenny team under Cody would be happy to let a game like that slip yesterday? Of course not.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Still sickened by yesterday

I still cant understand why Collins didn't boom one or two puckouts down on top of the Tipp 21 when playing with the wind. Mix it up like. Tim O'Mahony starved of ball and we losing. Instead twas dangerous ball to the MF, 2 of which resulted in Tipp points when cut off. Crazy, he was obviously under instruction.

Dalton didn't look 100% to me, didn't score from play. That sideline out the right win 10 to go? On the 35m line at best and he a left hander? Youd score it 1 in 50 id say. Went for it, wide, Tipp win puckout, ball over the bar. Infuriating. I shouted at him not to go for it but alas...
Robbie Flynn running through the right channel late on, 3 Tipp men converge and instead of a pass inside to a totally unmarked Dalton, shoots under pressure wide. That was a key moment but shur you could point out 100s more.

A tough loss to take
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Still sickened by yesterday

I still cant understand why Collins didn't boom one or two puckouts down on top of the Tipp 21 when playing with the wind.
Mix it up like. Tim O'Mahony starved of ball and we losing. Instead twas dangerous ball to the MF, 2 of which resulted in Tipp points when cut off. Crazy, he was obviously under instruction.

Dalton didn't look 100% to me, didn't score from play. That sideline out the right win 10 to go? On the 35m line at best and he a left hander? Youd score it 1 in 50 id say. Went for it, wide, Tipp win puckout, ball over the bar. Infuriating. I shouted at him not to go for it but alas...
Robbie Flynn running through the right channel late on, 3 Tipp men converge and instead of a pass inside to a totally unmarked Dalton, shoots under pressure wide. That was a key moment but shur you could point out 100s more.

A tough loss to take

Were we watching the same game?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 pm

I was
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 am

tipp-ex wrote:I was

And you saw very little/no booming puck-outs to the full forwards in the second half?
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm

In fairness, BC, I was near the Cork goals in the second half and I thought most of their puck-outs were short or to the forty. Because the Tipp forwards tackled so ferociously, the backs were finding it hard to get the ball even to midfield. In such circumstances I felt the further away from the Cork goals the ball was the better and I was calling for long puck-outs. We did get a few.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Big Cut No Bandage wrote:
tipp-ex wrote:I was

And you saw very little/no booming puck-outs to the full forwards in the second half?

That is correct yes
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:57 am

There were plenty of booming puckouts early in the second half as far as I recall. It was basically just giving Tipperary possession. It's not our game, not what we work on and not what we're good at, wind or no wind. We'll cough up scores here and there from the shorter ones but on balance it works for us, just looks really bad when it goes wrong.

We were just exceptionally poor on the day, it was incredibly frustrating. With all due respect to Tipperary I do feel this was an All Ireland thrown away. Normally I'm disappointed in defeat, but this one was more maddening. But it's done now. I think we do have to remind ourselves how promising things are looking now compared to two years ago, plenty of work to do of course but at least we're back dining at the top table (as the cliché goes).
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”