Cork Hurlers 2019

Redadare

Re: Cork Hurlers 2019

Postby Redadare » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Great win for team today, just what was needed, great work rate from every player. Very poor support though, Limerick fans blaming ref,whinging at everything, wrecked my head listening to them. O' Mahony did well at cb,Cads dodgy at times.Backs did pretty good overall,a bit loose at times and over playing ball,midfield did well,worked really hard. Forwards are defiantly improving, put up big score today. Still not sure bout A.Walsh but tried really hard all day. Hoggie and Lehane scared the shite out the full backs and worked hard all game,Lehane with a but a luck could have had 3 goals today. Overall,very satisfied with win over AI champs in own pitch and new lads dud well. Great to win up there . lots of room for improvement, but going in right direction I hope.
leesider

Postby leesider » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

leesider wrote:I'd say Limerick will hockey us.

So glad to eat this humble pie. :D
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:05 pm

Not wanting to piss on the parade but just like the last few weeks when negativity seemed the prevailing emotion and I was extolling the positives, I want to start by doing the opposite.

Limerick made an absolute rake of good scoring chances and failed to convert most of them especially in the first half. They also for whatever reason took an age to get up to speed while we came racing out of the blocks. Once they did they looked very dangerous especially in the second half after what I guess was a roasting in the dressing room at half time. They'll be a different animal in the summer and are still one of the top contenders for the McCarthy cup.

Having said all that, I left the Gaelic grounds with a big grin on my face and very happy with the way the squad is developing.

Cadogan was an able replacement at full back and ended up with his man being replaced. Steven McDonald had his best game since coming back and showed glimpses of the captain he was. Sean O Donoghue cleaned up very effectively at the back.

Joyce is improving with every game and seems to need plenty of game time to get up to championship speed. Young Downey had a good first half. Looked tired and like he shipped a knock in the second half. It's a big step up but he is definitely one for the future. Tim O Mahoney is shaping up to possible be the answer at number 6. It's a crucial position that we have been looking to fill since Ronan Curran retired so hopefully his improving arc will continue.

What's most encouraging about our defence is we are beginning to build up a healthy competion for places. Spillane, Cahalane, Ellis and the Fitzgibbon lads all to challenge for the 6 place this summer along with those who started today.

Cooper was his usual abrasive self today, was everywhere, putting in his body on the line. Murphy was similar and poped up with some crucial points as well. Kearney made up the triumvirate, working like a Trojan as well and turning defence into attack very effectively.

Dan Dooley had a good first outing, worked hard and got a couple of nice points, one at a crucial juncture for Cork after a long period of unanswered Limerick dominance. Has earned another look. Harney is a great player for Cork, always dangerous always combative.

Walsh worked very well with him and put in a lot of work that normally is left all to Harnedy to do. Was an option for high ball, his touch was good and got nice scores. His best game this year. Both Horgan and Lehane looked lively today and seemed to benefit from playing off Walsh. Lehane missed a sitter of a goal but made up for it later.

At this stage would like to get to the quarters to get the chance of an extra few games to integrate the Fitz lads into the team/squad but so far so good.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 am

We have a real gem in Bill Cooper. I can't understand how he has never been nominated for an All Star. At least 3 or 4 nominations in the past 2 years have been substituted when Cooper was marking them. Again today last year's HotY was well marshalled. I saw him in last year's county semi final VS UCC when Breen, Coleman and Fitzgibbon were given a go on him and he put each of them a horrible time. At the age of 31 he is the engineroom and brains of this team. I was told by a mate in Youghal, Bill spent his late teens playing rugby for the local team. Maybe that's where he gets his toughness and discipline from. Fcuk it he's a mighty bit of stuff
donal66

Postby donal66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 am

Early days but great to see AWalsh and CMurphy bringing strength and aggression to add to what we had lad last year.
Also ECadogan and TO'Mahony shoring up the centre of defence gives me much more confidence.
Can only be good.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:15 pm

I went to Limerick, expecting to lose, so a win was amazing. As the match unfolded, I could see why Limerick were struggling. They thought they could physically impose themselves on Cork and found that they couldn’t. It took them some time to adjust to that.

Cork were nine points ahead at one stage of the first half. Indeed it could easily have been greater because Conor Lehane missed an absolute sitter. With only the goalkeeper to beat he put it across the goal and wide. I think his problem was that he had too much time and tried to place it. If he had been under more pressure he might have struck it more instinctively and buried it.

After what they did to Kilkenny last week, it must have been a bit of a shock to Limerick. A late first half goal brought their supporters some hope. Especially when they started the second half more aggressively, with a few points before Cork scored at all.

I feared the usual Cork fade-out a that stage, but, fair play to them, they rallied again and went back to what they had been doing throughout the first half, aggressive tackling by both the backs and the forwards. Cork’s second goal rocked Limerick again and from then on, Cork gave them nothing easy. That was the main reason for the victory and it will have to be repeated match after match. Have we turned a corner in that regard? Only time and more matches will tell, but I would hope that that attitude will now become the core of Cork hurling; playing all the time as if they were confident of winning, no matter what the scoreline might say.
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:40 pm

What are the permutations required for us to get to the quarters? I'm too lazy to do the math so someone else do it for me, thanks.
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 pm

leesider wrote:What are the permutations required for us to get to the quarters? I'm too lazy to do the math so someone else do it for me, thanks.

20190225_140707.jpg
20190225_140707.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 821 times

Two teams draw on points it goes on head to head, more then two then score difference I think
Wexford play Kilkenny, Clare play Limerick
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Big Cut No Bandage wrote:
leesider wrote:What are the permutations required for us to get to the quarters? I'm too lazy to do the math so someone else do it for me, thanks.

20190225_140707.jpg

Two teams draw on points it goes on head to head, more then two then score difference I think
Wexford play Kilkenny, Clare play Limerick

I was actually joking but thanks anyway. We stand a good chance of making the quarter-finals, as long as yesterday's win hasn't gone to their heads.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Dougie Howlett isn't getting enough credit for the recent upturn in form...2 wins out of 2 since he came on board!!

Maybe bring Tomas O Leary in with him to drive it on again!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”