Cork Hurlers 2019

Big Cut No Bandage

Re: Cork Hurlers 2019

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 am

Yesterday showed just how important Cooper is to our game plan just in case we didn't know it already. Without Cooper bashing, crashing and working like an ox around midfield there is no aggression in our midfield and no extra defensive cover for our half back line. This has a knock on effect of limiting space and time for our small fast flair players to run at defences. Hence Colman, Fitzgibbon, Kearney were all fairly anonymous. Murphy would probably be the best like for like replacement but truth is we don't have a real replacement and will go nowhere this year without him.

Up front the story hasn't changed much. Lehane is being bullied off every ball and only manages to pop up with a score or two. He adds absolutely nothing defensively which is unforgivable in the modern game. Walsh should replace him v Limerick and he may have more of an impact as a substitute when teams are tiring because we all know the talent is there.

Someone needs to come in for Joyce as well, good servant but looks like he has lost even more pace. Murphy, Cahalane or Downey would all be better options. I would give the rest of the back 6 another bite of the cherry but if necessary Ellis needs to be fasttracked back into the team as cover for center back.
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 am

youngbob wrote:I was talking to a member of Bill's family, she said he was having trouble with his IT band. It apparently is a muscle from your hip to your calf and prevents full movement. He was a mighty loss to the team. He provides steel to the middle of the pitch and shores up a lot of defects in that HB line. Today the middle 8 had no shape about them and Bill brings that in spades to us. I've been saying it for years we'll only appreciate him when he not there. Today was the first day in a while he wasn't there and we fail miserable without him. IMO it's getting close to the time to ask do we need a different goalkeeper, Nash's puck out are no benefiting us at all.

Just seen this. Agree totally, you got there before me.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am

Watched the game back on TV last night. It looked worse on the box! Tipp had acres of space with nobody laying a hand on them while they were tactically fouling non stop. They knew they knew they couldnt let Cork run at goal so were gladly willing to foul. Cork far far to nice. Players pondering in possession and closed down. Panicking when they got the ball. No fight or desire to hurt a Tipp player. Tipp didnt give two F**ks about flaking into a Cork player and neither will Limerick next week. Myler was again too slow on the line. Joyce should have been whipped earlier and the next sub came on with just 6 minutes to go. All the talk about the panel and he throws on 3 subs with a few minutes left while 7 points down. Crazy. Limerick will be laughing. Nash's puckouts were coming back faster than he could hit em. The same team cant take to the field in the Gaelic ground or they're done for. Myler wont ring in the changes tho. The most we will see is possibly a new no5 and a no.10. Even tho Nash saved the penalty youd have to wonder would Collins have done just as good if not better. It sounds like a knee jerk reaction but these players have been showing the same problems for a number of years under different management teams. O'Leary had a good game, Myler might need to throw in another few of the younger lads. has to go for it.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 am

I've had my doubts about Meyler and yesterday he was out coached. Sheedy, Tommy Dunne and Eamonn O Shea taught our line a lesson, as twohands said you just cant turn on and off the intensity from league to championship, also not using players who featured throughout the league was wrong, in that regard the league was a total waste of time. Niall O'Leary didn't even play in it, the mushroom brigade will be happy.

It's backs to wall type stuff now, very one dimensional yesterday, we wanted a shoot out and we got it. Except we conceded a whopping 2-28, 2-24 of that from play, that is simply not on
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 am

I was talking to Bill Coopers neighbour at work today. He told me Bill will be going for an injection during the week when the spasm subsides so hopefully he will be ready. Probably will do no training during the week but he is naturally fit so fingers crossed
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 am

tipp-ex wrote:I've had my doubts about Meyler and yesterday he was out coached. Sheedy, Tommy Dunne and Eamonn O Shea taught our line a lesson, as twohands said you just cant turn on and off the intensity from league to championship, also not using players who featured throughout the league was wrong, in that regard the league was a total waste of time. Niall O'Leary didn't even play in it, the mushroom brigade will be happy.

It's backs to wall type stuff now, very one dimensional yesterday, we wanted a shoot out and we got it. Except we conceded a whopping 2-28, 2-24 of that from play, that is simply not on

Correct. No plan B, barely a plan A. Static on the sideline. Couldn't expose any of Tipps perceived weakness in the legs. When Dalton came on he went straight into the goalmouth practically toe to toe with Hogan it was obvious that he waa told stand there and get a goal. That's junior stuff. There should always be a big man as a long ball outlet during the game. We started with one, Harnedy, who is expected to do the work of 2/3 men. Another target man is needed and going on the subs that's either Dalton or Walsh. I'd go with Dalton and Walsh to come on. Either way we cannot persist with Kearny, Meade playing the same role. Both starting makes the team too light. Add in Fitzgibbon who needs more muscle around him so he can make those trademark runs if his. Lehane also doesn't throw his weight around. That's half our forwards who, as skilful as they are, aren't able to compete with the physical stuff for a full game.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm

I posted earlier this year on Meyler's decision not to give the UCC players game time during the league. Our biggest issue last year was our inability to stop teams putting up big scores on us. That was the biggest work on needed over the Winter/Spring. We needed to sort out our full back line and our halfback line. We then had this ridiculous decision not to give game time to players like Chris O'Leary, Niall O'Leary and Eddie Gunning. He was the only top tier manager to do this. it has turned out to be a disaster for us. He has also made the exact same mistake again this year in not using his bench when the shit hits the fan. Making substitutions with 6 minutes to go and bringing on a raft of forwards.... where have we seen this before?? People talk about our bench and the greater depth we have. It's utter bullshit when you have a Manager who is unwilling or unable to make hard calls when the time comes. I would also question the rest of his team in not calling him out on it.

We are staring down the barrel now. Our record at all levels is horrific in Limerick and we now go there looking for a win to realistically keep ourselves in the hunt to even get out of the province.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm

I thought that The Sunday Game evening roundup analysis of the game was very poor. They concentrated mainly on Tipperary and how well they ran the game – fair enough – but all they could say about Cork was the lack of work rate and that they didn’t track their men, which a child could have seen.

From where I was sitting in the Tipperary half of the pitch during the second half, I could see that there was a lone Tipperary man standing between the half-back and full-back lines, and he made a major contribution to Tipperary’s shutout of the Cork forwards, during this period. The forwards were struggling anyway, one-on-one but now it was always two-on-one and sometimes balls were played in under pressure straight to this unmarked man.

The Sunday Game “analysts” appeared not to notice this for they didn’t comment on it. And I felt it did have a big impact on the game. Unfortunately the Cork management appeared not to notice it, either, but perhaps it was because a Cork forward had been withdrawn further out the field. Seeing how it was killing the Cork forwards inside, it should have been rectified.
bronxrebe;

Postby bronxrebe; » Mon May 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Sadly I have little faith that the changes that need to be made will be made. If Cooper can play against Limerick this sideline will assume he fixes the issue. The biggest change I would make to shake up this team is to put Lehane on the bench. Maybe it would wake a few lads up. I also like the idea of a ticked off Lehane entering the game with 20 minutes left.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Mon May 13, 2019 4:30 pm

bronxrebe; wrote:Sadly I have little faith that the changes that need to be made will be made. If Cooper can play against Limerick this sideline will assume he fixes the issue. The biggest change I would make to shake up this team is to put Lehane on the bench. Maybe it would wake a few lads up. I also like the idea of a ticked off Lehane entering the game with 20 minutes left.

I think you make a great point. Others will disagree with you but one of the marquee names will have to be accountable for our lackadaisical performance . Even though Shamie was out of the game for long periods too he is more effective than Conor but I'd like to see Lehane being riled up and coming on for 30mins to lay down a marker to Meyler. I've said it before I can't fathom how Cormac Murphy or Damien Cahalane wasn't a straight switch for Bill.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”