Cork Hurlers 2019

Bams

Re: Cork Hurlers 2019

Postby Bams » Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

If, big if, we conjure survival from this situation, is the silver lining that we end up on the longer but possibly more advantageous road? Munster final victories have been the death knell for Cork hurlers in recent years.
bronxrebe;

Postby bronxrebe; » Mon May 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Bams wrote:If, big if, we conjure survival from this situation, is the silver lining that we end up on the longer but possibly more advantageous road? Munster final victories have been the death knell for Cork hurlers in recent years.

Long way from that but in my opinion we are better off leaving Munster to someone else. What good has it done Cork of late?
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 am

Anything I wanted to say has already been said here.

But I did say earlier in the year, and last week, that going into this years's championship with virtually the same team as the last few years would not see us progress and Sunday confirmed that. Ok, Bill's late withdrawal might have unsettled things and certainly didn't help but tat can't be used to explain the flat, uninspiring, passive performance.

No new players brought through in the league and that came home to roost. No new players, no new ideas, nothing to energise the whole set-up. Most alarming of all was the absence of intensity and aggression. Its easy in hindsight to point at how good Tipp were but for most parts there wasn't a hand laid on them. 2-24 or whatever it was from play epitomises that. Their second goal was choreographed the second the ball was played in from midfield.

I was on the City End terrace, and while not defending Nash's puckouts I can understand his dilemma... looking down the pitch there was a noticeable lack of options and targets. All too static. That doesn't accept the number of turnovers and cheap points conceded but for puckout strategies to be effective it involves a lot of moving parts...and there was little moving parts to be seen. Going short (or long) are default positions when accurate possession can't be worked.

Again, hindsight is easy, but Tipp were better prepared, better coached, better motivated. They nullified Fitz and Kearney and thereby nullified Cork's gameplan. Their hurling and touch was sharper and lighter. But good teams will do that if they're allowed hurl freely...and that was Corks's biggest crime.

The scoreline actually flattered us. On the day Tipp were more than 7 pts better than us. Is this a glimmer of hope...I'm not so sure. Everything about the Cork performance was worrying. No passion and no bite is unforgiveable...getting 'stuck-in' is the minimum requirement and we saw little or nothing of that. Out-thought and out-fought are not two aspects you want to take out of a game but that's the only conclusion you can make.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm

I have it from a reliable source Cooper will be fit for the Limerick match. He was at the training session last night but only had a rub down, he supposes to do a bit of work in the gym today. Alan Cadogan could be OK too, it was a precaution not to use him last Sunday (he had a slight niggle) so an extra week should do him the world of good.
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Wed May 15, 2019 5:19 pm

The Cork manager said after the game, that they hoped Tipp would tire in the second half.inspiring stuff.
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Tanora wrote:Any season tickets holders from last year remember if the location of their seats in the North Stand were any good?

It was nice of the season ticket people to put us in the middle of the tipp supporters.Now next Sunday they have put us in the open stand in the Gaelic grounds ,I presume they know weather is going to be good because they surely wouldnt have put us there otherwise.Nice to treat the season ticket holders so well,made to feel like my money was well spent.
Bams

Postby Bams » Wed May 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Fairly up with the eagles last day out alright, but I enjoyed the view; until the game started. The Meyler comment worried me too. It sounds like he bought into this bar stool punditry that Tipp would flag. It certainly didn't look like they would in the league, or indeed in the second half of last year's game in Thurles.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 am

Last night I was watching Sunday match with 4 Cork players (former and present).. All of them could not believe how bad ToM was. One player said he was responsible for 1-8 another 2 players said he could be brought to task for 1-10 while another case a doubt in him over the 2 goals. They reckon Meyler is trying to turn him into to a CB while he has a ready made one in Ellis. All agree when your CB is giving up that many scores in a match, (1) you won't win anything and (2) drains any confidence in the other 5 backs. Opposition have sussed Kearney, so a simple move would be to put ToM forward. Bring in Walsh for Meade and that your starting team. Big men making it hard on opposition HB line to pick out good ball into their forwards. Cahalane and Maccie could be cover for FB line, Downey and Browne cover for HB line Murphy cover for MF, Kingston and Meade cover HF lineDalton and Flynn cover for FF line
Bams

Postby Bams » Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 am

Some of the substitutions suggested are interesting. But can we really expect players with very little or no inter-county playing time in 2019 to turnover Limerick on Sunday?
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am

exile67 wrote:It all goes back to the tippy-tappy, non-contact Cork hurling of the mid-2000s which persists to this day and which the current players aren't as good at and where the opposition have it sussed. Nash needs to be put on the bench next week.

In passing, did anyone else find leaving the upper stand after the match a farce? The stewards were totally-muppet like in directing everyone to leave at the city end. It was a squash exiting and not very pleasant to negotiate with children. Definitely not screwed on health-and-safety and diabolical compared to the upper tiers in Croke Park.

But that team also had physical presence in the shape of The Rock, Sean Og, Gardiner, Pat Mul, Corcoran, Niall Mac etc...and weren't shy of using their physical presence on the pitch.

Its fair to say Cork do not compete well in the physical stakes these days.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”