Cork Footballers 2019

tipp-ex

Re: Cork Footballers 2019

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Stinks? Try this on one for size. Ciaran O Sullivan has stepped down as selector
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 am

Is it not a bit strange that this happens now season is on... normaly these things are sorted before the season starts I wonder if we were contenders for trophys would Ciaran have done this ...maybe he sees no future in this setup ….of course I hope I am wrong and lets hope starting today the road back starts slowly....
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:36 pm

McGrath Cup Semi-Final

Cork 3-15; Limerick 0-7

Only three points in it at half time (1-6 to 06)

Goals by Brian Hurley (first half) and Paul Walsh and Ian Maguire (second half).
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Today is irrelevant, this competition only gets fellas kicking ball in January as opposed to running around the 4g pitch down the pairc being screamed at. Of far more importance is who is coming on board the management team? The weakest aspect of the cork football set up isnt actually the players, its the set up.......last year they weren't fit and didn't have a clue about game plans......this year are they at least fit?
No sign of our expert 'consultant' today, but our nutritionist was there, maybe he is the new selector??? 2 injuries today also............it is NEVER a good sign when there is this type of disruption in a backroom team, simply does not happen with serious football teams.
Still no panel called for the league, 50 players still involved......again not what serious counties do.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

I made it to Rathkeale with the help of a new Sat.- Nav. in the Morris Minor. A few miles from the town I stopped to ask a lad near a
caravan for directions to Mick Neville Park. "Jasus boss if he's the scrap man you're after he's dead and buried". Nuff said.
In any case Mick Neville Park took my breath away. Huge car park within the complex and four full size pitches. Two with flood
lighting one of which is synthetic and I'm told was used for winter training by Limerick hurlers. Them are the positives.
The negatives are incredible. After spending zillions on this complex there is NO scoreboard, NO public address, and I could say NO toilets
as the one tiny facility with just two bowls is half a mile away from the main pitch, and NO dugouts.
The game itself was a non event apart from the first 20 minutes before Cork let down the blade.
I made the final score 3-15 to 0-8 but Finbarr McCarthy in the Morris Minor said Limerick only scored 0-7.
The team listed on the programme was totally at variance with our beloved GAA website apart from Keeper White and No 2 Dennehy and No3 Loughrey. Kevin Flahive was No 4 and was lord and master of his patch. Dennehy is a wiry young man and might well make it.
Kevin Crowley No 5 went off with a shoulder injury after 20 minutes and was replaced by young Tadg Corkery who only made it from the dressing rooms half a mile away about 5 minutes after Crowley left. The programme said No6 was Liam O Donovan (Clon) but he wasn't there and was replaced by Kevin O Donovan ( Nemo) who was very impressive throughout. My MOTM at No 7 was Paul Walsh ( Kanturk) and if we have a better wing back in Cork we will trouble a lot of top teams.
No8 Ian Maguire has been forced to learn how to kick the ball and he managed to do that off both legs today, while bull dozing his way through traffic many times and scoring 1-2 for good measure. His midfield partner Killian O Hanlon did nothing wrong untill mid way in the second half he got an ugly late belt into the chest from a lad in green that didn't even merit a free from Mr Derek O Mahony from Ticklemary. He was replaced by an unrecognisable James Fitzpatrick (Ross) who scored a good point as well as a wide from distance. This man has obviously decided to shed some of his 'guidán' and will be in with a shout for mid field later on.
Tom Clancy (Fermoy) is many things but a forward isn't one of them. He wore No 10 and managed to miss the posts by 10 yards from 10 yards in the first half. Apart from that he was his usual industrial self. Helping out every where. Rory Deane was listed at No 11 and with heavily bandaged thighs, he made his way in to shake hands with the full back. From then to the end he was everywhere. He made the 3 goals as well as many points for others. If we only had 2 or 3 more Rory Deanes we would beat them all.
Sean White wore No 12 and floated around the half forward -mid field area. Replaced by Eoghan McSweeney in the 2nd half who was much more effective and scored a nice point.
Damien Gore wore No 13, scored a point in each half, was lively and may well develop into a senior footballer.
Luke Connolly was listed on the programme at NO 14 but he wasn't even in Limerick as far as I could see. No 24 Matt Taylor (Mallow) started but don't ask me in what position. He was all over the place, but a bit like Clancy, he ain't no forward.
Brian Hurley at No 15 scored 1-3 (1free) and it was nice to see him fit and well again. I think his brother Michael might take that jersey off him later on.
Apart from Chris Kelly (Eire Og) the other unused subs were Ronan O Toole, Chris Og Jones and Peter Kelliher.

Like I said already, it was pretty much a non event, but the new rules didn't spoil it, if that sounds too negative. Mr O Mahony gave Limerick a few tap over frees for the 4th hand pass and it was comical to hear the players counting out loud in the quietness of Rathkeale as they tried to help the lad in possession. Limerick made better use of the high ball in from the 45 but didn't convert too many successes.
I think he penalised Cork a few times for illegal side line kicks but hard to follow these new rules.
Of the new players we saw today, my pick would be Paul Walsh and Kevin O Donovan. Subs Tadg Corkery and Aidan Browne (N.Market) looked the part also. Peter Murphy (Bandon) wasn't on long enough after replacing Loughrey at No 3, but he didn't look out of place.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks Ranty. Report much appreciated.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Maurice Banks wrote:Thanks Ranty. Report much appreciated.

You are welcome Maurice.
I forgot to mention earlier that the nice people of Rathkeale gave us all FREE a simple double white page programme, but sure there had
to be a negative in happy go lucky GAA land.
the Cork Bainisteoir is listed as ----Rónán O Siocháin.... and we will forgive them for listing Ciarán O Súilleabháin as the Maor Fóirne.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:26 pm

Ticklemary? Absolutely brilliant Ranty and thanks for both the report and supporting the lads
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Brilliant, as usual, Ranty. Reading your report is almost like being there.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks Ranty for the report better than any radio or newspaper good to see young players getting game time ...get that Car ! ready for next sunday for Ennis much tougher test in the final against Clare in our attempts to win 2 in a row !

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”