Cork Hurlers 2016

langerinexile

Re: Cork Hurlers 2016

Postby langerinexile » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am

Would I be correct in saying if Cork meet Tipp in the relegation play-off final then it will be played in Cork as they will have played three home games to our two whereas a Cork-Galway play-off would have to be decided by coin toss as we will both have only played two home games??
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:28 am

topoftheright wrote:Definitely would not show my hand against Tipp next Sunday,championship against them is not far away,and hopefully its Galway we will meet in Relgation Final as we owe them the 'mother and father of a bating'.

Its hard to know what kingston will do re the Tipp game. Just like the kk game a performance is more important than a result. i hear a lot of people saying we cant show our hand v Tipp coz of the game in May, and we could end up playing them in them in the relegation. But we really dont know our best 15 yet and there are a lot of places up for grabs. Last sat was the best team performance so far but Cadogan and Walsh should be back and you'd think Kingston will want to give them a game. Does Kingston pick the same team and hope they put in a similar performance and gain more momentum/confidence for the playoff, or throw in a few more new faces to gain experience? It could be a good opportunity to give some fringe players a run and tell em they are fighting for their panel place and now is a chance to prove your worth. Players like S Murphy, Cashman, Brosnan and Leahy all could be given a go. Its an unusual place to be in with the Tipp game because you'd like to give more fringe players a go but hate to break the momentum of the team while at the same time not showing our full hand so early!!

Id go with a few new players and tell em only a performance similar to last Sat night is acceptable.
Collins
Burke MacDonnell S Murphy
Cashman Joyce C Murphy
Lawton Walsh
Cormack Cooper Lehane
Cadogan Harnedy O Farrell

Subs to bring on. Calahane, McLoughlin, Kearny, Horgan, Leahy,
Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Turenne wrote:
mathuna wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Shane and Cahalane swapped places before throw in with Lawton dropping into midfield, Lehane and Farrell up front with Hoggie, Harnedy and Cooper across the 40.

O'Neill on Hogan, Joyce on Reid and Burke on Walsh might be best. Burke has zero pace but the same can be said for Walsh.

Burke has no pace ??
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:46 pm

langerinexile wrote:Would I be correct in saying if Cork meet Tipp in the relegation play-off final then it will be played in Cork as they will have played three home games to our two whereas a Cork-Galway play-off would have to be decided by coin toss as we will both have only played two home games??

I've read that somewhere too.

I'd be of the opinion of keeping our powder dry v Tipp. I'd let Hoggie off, ideally Harnedy too but he's nearly too important to the team to be missing.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:37 am

There's absolutely no point in sending out the best team this Sunday. The only question really is whether the relegation game is more important than the championship game for the long term development of the team and whether that is the game we target. If we lose the championship game we still have a chance to get back in among the big boys later on (albeit it would be tough). If we lose the relegation game, it's Kerry and Laois next year. It's not necessarily the end of the world to rebuild in Divison 'whatever sounds better than 2' but I think in our current stage of development being in Division 1 might be better for us. And that's before you picture the smiles on the West Cork lads faces down in Tralee for the double header where the footballers are (hopefully!) in Divison 1. It could bethe biggest crowd at a Cork football league game in years.

Of course, if Cork, Tipp or Galway go down HQ will probably feel another urgent need to restructure the league....
Turenne

Postby Turenne » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:47 am

The management - and everyone else - have no idea what the best team is. Its basically Harnedy/Joyce and thirteen others. Difficult to show your hand when you don't even know what it is.
Turenne

Postby Turenne » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:47 am

Twohands wrote:There's absolutely no point in sending out the best team this Sunday. The only question really is whether the relegation game is more important than the championship game for the long term development of the team and whether that is the game we target. If we lose the championship game we still have a chance to get back in among the big boys later on (albeit it would be tough). If we lose the relegation game, it's Kerry and Laois next year. It's not necessarily the end of the world to rebuild in Divison 'whatever sounds better than 2' but I think in our current stage of development being in Division 1 might be better for us. And that's before you picture the smiles on the West Cork lads faces down in Tralee for the double header where the footballers are (hopefully!) in Divison 1. It could bethe biggest crowd at a Cork football league game in years.

Of course, if Cork, Tipp or Galway go down HQ will probably feel another urgent need to restructure the league....

Agreed.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 am

Twohands wrote:There's absolutely no point in sending out the best team this Sunday. The only question really is whether the relegation game is more important than the championship game for the long term development of the team and whether that is the game we target. If we lose the championship game we still have a chance to get back in among the big boys later on (albeit it would be tough). If we lose the relegation game, it's Kerry and Laois next year. It's not necessarily the end of the world to rebuild in Divison 'whatever sounds better than 2' but I think in our current stage of development being in Division 1 might be better for us. And that's before you picture the smiles on the West Cork lads faces down in Tralee for the double header where the footballers are (hopefully!) in Divison 1. It could bethe biggest crowd at a Cork football league game in years.

There were murmurings of it among GAA people (not Cork) last year, but, I suppose, if they try it later on this year, it will be viewed as pandering to Cork again.

I think they ought to go against Tipp with whatever they think their best team is, keep up the aggression and see where that gets them. It has now got to the stage where the hurlers have to be consistent in their approach before anyone even begins to believe they have turned that mythical corner.

So what if we have to meet Tipp three times in a row. Imagine what three wins in a row over the old enemy would do for confidence. Imagine what it would do to Tipp!
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Dorcha wrote:

There were murmurings of it among GAA people (not Cork) last year, but, I suppose, if they try it later on this year, it will be viewed as pandering to Cork again.

I think they ought to go against Tipp with whatever they think their best team is, keep up the aggression and see where that gets them. It has now got to the stage where the hurlers have to be consistent in their approach before anyone even begins to believe they have turned that mythical corner.

So what if we have to meet Tipp three times in a row. Imagine what three wins in a row over the old enemy would do for confidence. Imagine what it would do to Tipp!

Matters not a damn if we don't win the fourth game against them.
My feeling would be take the opportunity to experiment and give fringe lads a chance. Reward those that came in the last time with another run as well.
Crazy to change the league format. It's the best it's ever been. Every division is competitive and better for the weaker teams as well.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Big Cut No Bandage wrote: Every division is competitive and better for the weaker teams as well.

Exactly how competitive is Division 1B? On the last three occasions, a Munster team has emerged from the division (Clare, Cork and Waterford). A Leinster team hasn't come up since Dublin did four seasons ago. I fail to see how teams like Laois, Wexford, Offaly, and Kerry benefit from being hammered on a regular basis by the two big Munster teams.

The only team who made them feel good about themselves was Cork when they were down there two seasons ago and, in a typical Cork fashion, only won all their games (bar the one against Limerick) by the smallest of margins. I was at a few of those games and I never felt Cork would loose any one of them, so those games gave a false impression of the quality of the Leinister teams (as has been borne out in recent seasons).

Even the year Cork came back up, Limerick’s points difference was vastly superior to Cork’s, which meant they were scoring massively in all of their games, and it was a huge cock-up by Limerick which allowed Cork to emerge.

I have no problem with Cork going down (it will be entirely their own fault when they do), but I think eight teams in each division would actually benefit emerging teams and teams which have dropped off the radar a lot more.

I also think it should be a real league with the team finishing with the most points the winners, no quarter of semi final games and two teams going up and dropping down from each division.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”