Cork Hurlers 2016

Country Norrie

Re: Cork Hurlers 2016

Postby Country Norrie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:30 pm

God help us come Championship. Cork Hurling is in an awful state. last week flash in de pan.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Cork have conceded 29 points on average this league campaign. That is truly alarming. At least we know where the problem lies.
Over to you management!
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:03 pm

If Cork's strategy coming into this game was "not to show their hand" well they executed it superbly.

Don't be under any illusions as to shadow-boxing, no team could go out deliberately to put up such an abject performance. This was embarrassing, there is so much wrong with Cork hurling right now it really is scary. And before anyone says "ah its only March, the result doesn't really matter blah blah", while the result in itself wouldn't have made any difference to Cork's league position, that performance was truly shocking, the late goals only flattering the scoreline.

What's most alarming is the paucity of our hurling, don't want to name names but some of this team are lacking in the most basic hurling skills. Collectively Cork couldn't control the ball in hand or stick, poor touch, poor vision, poor awareness, poor execution. The whole middle wide open, defenders constantly on the wrong side of their men, no-one tracking runners, then a litany of the cheapest and laziest of fouls.

Without Harnedy this team lacks any presence or focal point. No other forwards able to consistently win their own ball, despite the fact that much of the ball being delivered in was non-sensical. Cadogan in fairness showed again that he can win the right ball but lobbing it down on his head is juvenile stuff. With both Horgan & Lehane having typical games ( a few nice scores mixed with disappearing acts and poor decision making) Harnedy's absence as the only real leader on this team is all the more evident.

We were talking on here a few weeks ago about the modern day 'rucks' and Cork's inability to win any clean ball from a now primary source of possession is chronic..you'd have to ask do they even work on this aspect of the game in training? Every time a Tipp fella emerged with the ball, and not even in the heaviest of rucks, in almost every fight for possession in the tight, one on ones, Cork seldom won possession. Lost count of how many Tipp scores came from such situations. And I'm guessing they hit 20 scores without a Cork player being within 5 meters, not a hand laid on them.

I could go on and on about misplaced handpasses, balls into touch, players drawn to ball and huge gaps being left, barely able to scutter a ground ball a few metres both in open play and from sideline cuts but enough is enough.

Anyway Tipp didn't show their hand either, they didn't have to...it was a picnic for them, they've had tougher team meetings never mind training sessions.

Jesus Christ, it can't get any worse can it??
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Really strange game. The withdrawal of Harnedy and Lorcan really weakened the side and had me wondering was there a bit of shadow boxing going on. The tempo of the game resembled a training match at times. It was like a completely different team turned up to last week. Having Cadogan or Horgan as an isolated target man was bizarre and had a predictable result.

On the plus side Collins had a great game in goal. Kept finding Cork men with laser accurate puc outs. Has to be number 1 keeper now. Not much else positive to add except that after a shocking league with no points we can still remain a division 1 side with victory in a winner take all game. Win that and our whole season could turn around. Will have a better idea of where we really stand in a fortnight.

Does anyone know whether that game is on the 2nd or 3rd of April?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Sinbin wrote:If Cork's strategy coming into this game was "not to show their hand" well they executed it superbly.

Don't be under any illusions as to shadow-boxing, no team could go out deliberately to put up such an abject performance. This was embarrassing, there is so much wrong with Cork hurling right now it really is scary. And before anyone says "ah its only March, the result doesn't really matter blah blah", while the result in itself wouldn't have made any difference to Cork's league position, that performance was truly shocking, the late goals only flattering the scoreline.

What's most alarming is the paucity of our hurling, don't want to name names but some of this team are lacking in the most basic hurling skills. Collectively Cork couldn't control the ball in hand or stick, poor touch, poor vision, poor awareness, poor execution. The whole middle wide open, defenders constantly on the wrong side of their men, no-one tracking runners, then a litany of the cheapest and laziest of fouls.

Without Harnedy this team lacks any presence or focal point. No other forwards able to consistently win their own ball, despite the fact that much of the ball being delivered in was non-sensical. Cadogan in fairness showed again that he can win the right ball but lobbing it down on his head is juvenile stuff. With both Horgan & Lehane having typical games ( a few nice scores mixed with disappearing acts and poor decision making) Harnedy's absence as the only real leader on this team is all the more evident.

We were talking on here a few weeks ago about the modern day 'rucks' and Cork's inability to win any clean ball from a now primary source of possession is chronic..you'd have to ask do they even work on this aspect of the game in training? Every time a Tipp fella emerged with the ball, and not even in the heaviest of rucks, in almost every fight for possession in the tight, one on ones, Cork seldom won possession. Lost count of how many Tipp scores came from such situations. And I'm guessing they hit 20 scores without a Cork player being within 5 meters, not a hand laid on them.

I could go on and on about misplaced handpasses, balls into touch, players drawn to ball and huge gaps being left, barely able to scutter a ground ball a few metres both in open play and from sideline cuts but enough is enough.

Anyway Tipp didn't show their hand either, they didn't have to...it was a picnic for them, they've had tougher team meetings never mind training sessions.

Jesus Christ, it can't get any worse can it??

Yes it can and it will. The next county board meeting if and when a delegate takes drugs beforehand and dares to bring up the subject under "games played", he or she will be met with " there's great work going on " and our u21 had great victories in football against Clare and Waterford. Move along, nothing to discuss. And it'll be the usual apes into bat to defend.

NEXT
leesider

Postby leesider » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:54 pm

I think we could beat Galway if we get a home draw but if we have to go up there then we have no chance I'd say.I think it's tomorrow morning the draw is being made?
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Maybe the U21 footballers should play against Galway,Its one thing to to be a a poor team but the lack of effort is inexcusable.People are paying good money to see hurlers and they dont even have the decency to look as if they even care.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:12 pm

I see the Cork GAA website hasnt updated yet. We'll get the usual 42.ie report tomorrow morning.
Cmon Donal, this is what we elected you for boy!
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Im not on PROC, maybe i should but id love to give Blue and Red a box.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Sickend and annoyed at the waste of money and time spent travelling to the game today. We are simply not good enough, and the kk game was a typical once off performance that we've become used to in the last number of years. Can't add much to want people already said here as we all know what a shambles we are at this stage. One thing tho, why do they keep putting on the same subs who offer nothing. The game was dead and gone and they bring on Cronin, moylan and paudie. Granted paudie got a goal but why not give somebody else a run. Today was soul destroying. I'm glad I was growing up during the last good cork team of the naughties coz kids today won't have any good memories with the current crop of cork players.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”