Cork Hurlers 2016

tipp-ex

Re: Cork Hurlers 2016

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I hear we're away to Galway anyway in the relegation playoff.
Things are so bad, we even lost the toss. Or won it and picked the wrong venue.

Also, i cant even bring myself to watch the recording. Things are bad, real bad if thats the case.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Pat Hartnett says "We went out to win the game and play as well as possible. but it was part of an overall plan in terms of physical fitness and hurling and so on. So we are abiding by that."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/cork-selector-pat-hartnett-says-time-will-tell-on-tactical-ploys-388579.html
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:10 pm

I’d just like to make another point about the basic skills of blocking and hooking. To Christy Ring it was simple: “You put your hurley where the ball is.”

I tried it long ago and it works; it’s self -evident that it should. So it annoys me to see to see fellows raising the hurley and bringing it down as the other player strikes. Sometimes it works; more often it doesn't, because it’s a lottery done that way. Of course to do it properly you have to get close to your opponent. If you’re standing too far off, you haven’t a hope in hell of getting your hurley in where the ball is.
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Remember last year against Waterford we were not going to show our hand in the league and lost the game,so when Championship came around everybody thought it would be a different Cork team that came to play,and we all know how that went.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:41 pm

over40hurler wrote:Remember last year against Waterford we were not going to show our hand in the league and lost the game,so when Championship came around everybody thought it would be a different Cork team that came to play,and we all know how that went.

I was thinking that also. We all thought that was a phoney war and couldn't be further from the truth.

On another note. What do people make of Collins puck outs? I do think hes better than Nash and should be no 1. he is more accurate with the low shorter pucks but he didn't hit any long ones at all yesterday. Teams will cop on to that as well and push up on our mid fielders. I'm just thinking does he have the strength in his puc to change it up with a few long ones. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Dorcha wrote:Pat Hartnett says "We went out to win the game and play as well as possible. but it was part of an overall plan in terms of physical fitness and hurling and so on. So we are abiding by that."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/cork-selector-pat-hartnett-says-time-will-tell-on-tactical-ploys-388579.html

Whenever I see management coming out with "and so on" it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
DowchaBhoy!

Postby DowchaBhoy! » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Looks like the master plan of luring everyone into a sense of panic is working to perfection. :mrgreen:
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Conor Lehane making comments like "I wouldn't be worried at all" don't inspire me with confidence either. We lost 5 league games on the bounce by significant margins. Unless we are witnissing the greatest hoodwink since Houdini, then a prominent player shouldn't be coming out with that. Just don't say anything.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm no fan of watching Cork getting embarrassed and can see where people are coming from with the comparison to KK. But we need to be realistic too. KK players know that if they are on a losing team there will be changes and lads who are every bit as good as them will take their place. In Cork we can barely find 15, never mind replacements such has been the poverty of underage structures under we all know who.

To be fair to the management, Cork have had quite good leagues in the last few years but who remembers that? Two league finals reached and hammered out the gate in both a few weeks before championship. Cork were clearly behind other teams fitness wise the last few years too. It sounds like the management decided to prioritise fitness and S&C during the league. We'd have struggled to avoid the relegation play off anyway. If we can win it (a big if) we're where we would have been had we won one or two games during the league and hopefully fitter come championship time. At least I hope that's the thinking. Cos otherwise we are going to get the mother of all beatings more than once during this coming championship.
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Twohands wrote:I'm no fan of watching Cork getting embarrassed and can see where people are coming from with the comparison to KK. But we need to be realistic too. KK players know that if they are on a losing team there will be changes and lads who are every bit as good as them will take their place. In Cork we can barely find 15, never mind replacements such has been the poverty of underage structures under we all know who.

To be fair to the management, Cork have had quite good leagues in the last few years but who remembers that? Two league finals reached and hammered out the gate in both a few weeks before championship. Cork were clearly behind other teams fitness wise the last few years too. It sounds like the management decided to prioritise fitness and S&C during the league. We'd have struggled to avoid the relegation play off anyway. If we can win it (a big if) we're where we would have been had we won one or two games during the league and hopefully fitter come championship time. At least I hope that's the thinking. Cos otherwise we are going to get the mother of all beatings more than once during this coming championship.

Losing games can never be a good thing,I dont care what the reasoning.Its not like we are brimming with confidence as it is.KK only started training mid way through January according to Shefflin so Im not sure how they are so far ahead fitness wise,but he also claims that KK dont know what tactics are so I guess I should take anything he says under advisement!.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”