Cork Hurlers 2016

Twohands

Re: Cork Hurlers 2016

Postby Twohands » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:44 pm

With the possible exception of yesterday (?), I doubt we went out to lose any game during the league. Sometimes if you have been doing heavy training, no matter how much your mind wants to run faster and do better your body just can't react. It looks like we prioritised getting to fitness in time for summer and are doing hard training now. Whether that is a good plan or a bad plan only time will tell. But there is no doubt we were way behind other counties and we weren't going to get closer to them by doing the same thing we've been doing.

KK may have only gone back collectively since January but you can be sure that they have been working on individual programmes and that anyone who turned up at training too far behind would have been sent off to get fitter on his own. When is the last time KK were beaten physically by any team? Galway 2005?

In Cork, we are so desperate for lads who can control and strike a ball at pace under pressure that I'd say if one of them pitched up to training with no work done we'd send out a search party for two big fellas to put alongside him to mind him and win ball for him.

We are not good enough at the moment. We can be better than we are but we need to be realistic. The problems in Cork hurling weren't created by the current management. In many ways they are just the innocents drawing the anger and abuse away from where it belongs. They can do better but they can only work with what we have.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Interesting topic of discussion on Sport at 7 earlier. Mark Landers was on. All in agreement we are well off the pace Strength and Conditioning wise. And that our club championship system is in need of repair.
hurlerontheditch!

Postby hurlerontheditch! » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Twohands wrote:With the possible exception of yesterday (?), I doubt we went out to lose any game during the league. Sometimes if you have been doing heavy training, no matter how much your mind wants to run faster and do better your body just can't react. It looks like we prioritised getting to fitness in time for summer and are doing hard training now. Whether that is a good plan or a bad plan only time will tell. But there is no doubt we were way behind other counties and we weren't going to get closer to them by doing the same thing we've been doing.

KK may have only gone back collectively since January but you can be sure that they have been working on individual programmes and that anyone who turned up at training too far behind would have been sent off to get fitter on his own. When is the last time KK were beaten physically by any team? Galway 2005?

In Cork, we are so desperate for lads who can control and strike a ball at pace under pressure that I'd say if one of them pitched up to training with no work done we'd send out a search party for two big fellas to put alongside him to mind him and win ball for him.

We are not good enough at the moment. We can be better than we are but we need to be realistic. The problems in Cork hurling weren't created by the current management. In many ways they are just the innocents drawing the anger and abuse away from where it belongs. They can do better but they can only work with what we have.

I agree with all of that.
Obviously us supporters are hugely frustrated with where Cork hurling is currently. Bit it ain't the players fault and it ain't Kingston's fault.
I do think they are gearing everything towards championship which has impacted on League performances. The downside is that 1B is staring us in the face and it most definitely is not where we want to be.
I think management need to adjust their championship prep a little with a view towards putting in a huge performance vs Galway. Going to be really difficult to win up there but I give us a chance. Galway will rightly be favourites but if we get in their faces like we did against KK there won't be much in it.
Bottom line though is that our expectations over the next few years (at least) have to very moderately realistic. We are most likely going to have to continue paying the price for years of neglect.
hurlerontheditch!

Postby hurlerontheditch! » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:
over40hurler wrote:
On another note. What do people make of Collins puck outs? I do think hes better than Nash and should be no 1. he is more accurate with the low shorter pucks but he didn't hit any long ones at all yesterday. Teams will cop on to that as well and push up on our mid fielders. I'm just thinking does he have the strength in his puc to change it up with a few long ones. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.

Imo he should be our No 1 going into championship. His accuracy is just too good to ignore
And I wouldn't worry in the slightest about his ability to go long when the need arises.
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:22 am

I think most people are realistic about where Cork hurling is and that is not the problem.The attitude of the players however is,it is one thing to be limited as a team but there is no excuse for not giving your all when you do play.This is not just this league campaign because successive management teams have publicly stated that the league is of no consequence which is fine if you can all of a sudden get players to up it for championship.The current crop of players clearly dont appear to be able to manage this,or the management team cant manage it.You cannot simply hope to be able to turn it on and off as you see fit,that is why kk are competitive in every game because they have been taught that every game counts not just the championship ones.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:32 am

There is no doubt that players' attitude is a problem too. When then league panel was announced I was disappointed that there wasn't more of a clear out (or even a little bit of a clear out). What went on over the last few years in terms of players just giving up was not acceptable. The fact that there wasn't more change suggests that either the players aren't there or that some of the management team bought into the line that if we just had better tactics we'd be up among the big boys. It was probably a mixture of both.

There should be a clear message that anyone who doesn't show a willingness to get stuck in for 70 minutes and cover every blade of grass no matter how far behind we are has no place wearing a Cork jersey. I'd prefer to see a more limited trier than a skilful lad lying down. If every forward who isn't inclined to tackle was replaced the first time he gave up on the chase we wouldn't be long seeing a few more of them continuing to chase and tackle.

People quote Cody all the time about how he doesnt do tactics. The other thing he constantly says is that 7 or 8 points is nothing in hurling. The game can change in an instant. Do many of the Cork players actually believe that? Because it was clear in Pairc Ui Rinn that all the KK ones do.
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:53 am

It's too soon to be writing this year off yet. A win against Galway in Salthill and the rest of the league campaign is irrelevant. We gave chances to some players in the league, admittedly not all but if we lose to Galway next week then there will be plenty of runs outs for fringe/young players in 1b.

We may surprise people yet. Collins is a great addition to the team, John Cronin is able to physically mix it up at midfield and with Harnedy fit we are a threat to any defense. We haven't much strength in depth but that is just where Cork hurling is at the moment and not managements fault.

It's all coming to a head in the next few months and may be the last chance for a lot of first-team regulars but they deserve this season under new management at least. Lose to Galway and Tipp and we will have to go with a very new look team in 2017.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Interesting interview with Pat Mulcahey. He gave out about the lack of training facilities the cork team have and how it's hindering their performance. He also spoke about how Cork defenders cant defend properly.

It's clear some lads can't tackle properly and give away too many soft frees. They tend to put their arm to high up around the attacker and that is always going to be a fee and a card too on many occasions. KK are masters in using the spare arm to stop or slow down the attacker and seem to get away with it. Cork seem to leave it in there too long and then gives the free.

Mulcahey thinks the management will get it right by May. I hope he's right but can't see it.
over40hurler

Postby over40hurler » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:Interesting interview with Pat Mulcahey. He gave out about the lack of training facilities the cork team have and how it's hindering their performance. He also spoke about how Cork defenders cant defend properly.

It's clear some lads can't tackle properly and give away too many soft frees. They tend to put their arm to high up around the attacker and that is always going to be a fee and a card too on many occasions. KK are masters in using the spare arm to stop or slow down the attacker and seem to get away with it. Cork seem to leave it in there too long and then gives the free.

Mulcahey thinks the management will get it right by May. I hope he's right but can't see it.

So we cant foul properly,I thought Sully was working on that.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:48 pm

What I can't get my head around is this.
Why are our preparations behind everyone else? Kingston was appointed in October was it? So what's the story there? And why do other counties have pitch availability? Do they have a different climate in Tipp and KK?
And are we the only county running the shite outta players at this time of year? So no other county is doing physical work?
Stop the lights. Why are Cork training in Mallows FOURTH pitch, no disrespect to Mallow, lovely set up, was there 3 weeks ago. I also heard they've been down in Minane Bridge, home club of Kingston (originally). Why would that be?

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”