Cork u20 football 2019

Dorcha

Re: Cork u20 football 2019

Postby Dorcha » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Never seen anything like it. Nine points down in the first 10 minutes, two up at half time, going 1 point down again after 5 minutes of the second half and win by 8 points.

Cork kick-outs were always a nervy time. Getting possession was a problem for a lot of the game, but once they had it and got moving, they were magic.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 am

Incredible but heart warming is the only way to describe these U20 footballers.
Cathal O Mahony got MOTM from TG4 and few could argue, but I would have given it to No13 Mark Cronin.
He scored 1-4 (2F) but his goal and that final score a point from way out were worth the admission fee. Nemo have
another star.
11minutes and the game was apparently over, playing against a stiff wind.
Dublin 1-6 Cork 0-0
12 " " 1-6 " 1-0 thanks to Cronins pass across to Blake Murphy on the run.
16 " " 1-7 " 2-1 Cronin's fantastic finish from a tight angle when surrounded by Dubs.
17 " " 1-7 " 3-1 Colm O Callaghan after a patient buildup led by Hartnett. We are level.
20 " " 1-8 " 3-2 Still level but tails are up and the Cork supporters gone balistic in the stand.
25 " " 1-9 " 3-3 Getting on top everywhere with Hartnett and O Connell bossing mid field.
HT Cork 3-6 Dublin 1-10 Ahead by 2 and the wind to our backs in the 2nd half.

40 mins " 3-7 " 1-12 Ahead by 1 as the Dubs get 2 early points
45 " " 3-10 " 1-13 Ahead by 3 with sub Jack Murphy playing a blinder on the right wing.
49 " " 3-13 " 1-13 Ahead by 6 with super sub Fionn Herlihy from Donenys killing em with pace and power.
55 " " 3-15 " 1-14 The Dubs are on the rack and Cork football back with a bang.
60 " " 3-16 " 1-14 Ahead by 8 which was the final score of an amazing football game.

Yes, keeper O Keefe sold a pup to captain O Driscoll for Dublins goal after 10 minutes but both of them redeemed themselves many times
over during the next 50 odd minutes. Brian Hartnett is a future senior No 8 and O Connell isn't far behind either. Hartnett is so composed
on the ball that we could be excused for thinking he's old.
Have to give Damien Gore a mention as he was again outstanding and scored 4 classy points and all from play. In all that full forward
line scored 1-11 and the half forward line scored 2-2 but all three were replaced well before the end having given their all for the cause.

Again Ricken used his bench when the need arose and all the subs made good contributions.
Well done and thanks to Keith, Colm, Maurice,Micheal and Pat.
Last edited by Ranty on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Superb. Ranty I also would have given it to Mark Cronin, he was involved in everything good. Despite being small in stature (like his brothers), he knows where the posts are and more importantly doesn't waste possession, hes a clever player. Having said all that, any number of players could have won MOM yesterday.
What I liked about it was the way they played, they way they hounded Dublin and played it up the field FAST into the scoring forwards, the way they ran at Dublin, the way they never panicked, the way they have 2 free takers for either side of the pitch. All that and more amounts to a well coached and well drilled team. Well done the sideline and the backroom team. A great day for Cork GAA, we could do with more like them!
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm

What a day in Portlaoise yesterday! A great team doing Cork football proud! When they went 1.6 to no score down I was hoping to they would get a score just to settle the nerves, I never expected them to bang in 3 goals so quickly. A great never say die attitude and completely bossed the game. Some outstanding individual performances but overall a great team effort. Congrats to Ricken, seems like a decent fella and made substitutions at the correct time! Well done to all involved!
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Ricken and his backroom team deserve lots of credit for the way they trawled the county for talent.
The team and subs of 24 players that wore the jersey yesterday were selected from a panel who
made the cut after the 1st game v Kerry on May 29th in Clonakilty in the John Kearns tournament.
The following players failed to make the cut but I'm sure are not discarded and we will see them in red again.

Jack Kelliher Canovee
Conor Smith Ahabullogue
Rory Maguire Castlehaven
Liam Grainger St. Michaels
Mike Kelly Castlemartyr
David Buckley Newcestown
James O Donovan Nemo
Darragh Moynihan Ballydesmond
Daniel Lucey Mayfield

David Buckley from the above group is an outstanding footballer and I don't know why he isn't involved now. He's probably
his own worst enemy in that he can play anywhere and apart from the No12 jersey there doesn't seem to be any vacancies on
that team. Perhaps he's injured?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Is this Mark Keanes age group?
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 am

tipp-ex wrote:Is this Mark Keanes age group?

Yeah it is and what an addition hed be if he was around mind you hes underage again next year....Saturday was one of the great days for Cork one of the great All-Irelands the supporters unreal and the players responded it as very special...well done to the manager Keith Ricken and all his team I said when I saw Colm O Neill involved we would do well I think Colm has this way about him in a away its like having the great JBM in the dressing room Colm would have been an idol to all those lads with his comebacks from injurys etc...what a day ..
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:29 am

Ranty wrote:Ricken and his backroom team deserve lots of credit for the way they trawled the county for talent.
The team and subs of 24 players that wore the jersey yesterday were selected from a panel who
made the cut after the 1st game v Kerry on May 29th in Clonakilty in the John Kearns tournament.
The following players failed to make the cut but I'm sure are not discarded and we will see them in red again.

Jack Kelliher Canovee
Conor Smith Ahabullogue
Rory Maguire Castlehaven
Liam Grainger St. Michaels
Mike Kelly Castlemartyr
David Buckley Newcestown
James O Donovan Nemo
Darragh Moynihan Ballydesmond
Daniel Lucey Mayfield

David Buckley from the above group is an outstanding footballer and I don't know why he isn't involved now. He's probably
his own worst enemy in that he can play anywhere and apart from the No12 jersey there doesn't seem to be any vacancies on
that team. Perhaps he's injured?

Don't think Buckley is injured. He's been a regular sub. He has two more years at this grade and a great attitude.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Most enjoyable day supporting Cork since 2010 I would say.

Speaking of Buckley's, what's become of Mark from Dohenys? He was arguably the biggest prospect from the 2016 Minor team who lost to Donegal, I thought anyway.
northcorklad

Postby northcorklad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Lurker wrote:Most enjoyable day supporting Cork since 2010 I would say.

Speaking of Buckley's, what's become of Mark from Dohenys? He was arguably the biggest prospect from the 2016 Minor team who lost to Donegal, I thought anyway.

Agreed, that day at times he looked as if he could kick points in a telephone box. Chris Óg Jones was also on that team and looked the most potent forward on the U20 team last year, was surprised he saw no action with the seniors this year unless he had injuries?

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”