Cork Senior Hurling 2020

Matty Hislop

Re: Cork Senior Hurling 2020

Postby Matty Hislop » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:08 pm

Just seen the 'highlights' of the game, Anthony Daly compares Walsh's goal to that of Ray Cummins or Setanta.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:Just seen the 'highlights' of the game, Anthony Daly compares Walsh's goal to that of Ray Cummins or Setanta.

Just saw it myself now and Kingston got a few dirty belts as he was going in for his goal, including a whack across the back as he was scoring.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:43 am

It was just like watching most Cork games over the past decade. We've enough hurling to hang in games but not enough hurling to win the tight ones.

First half I thought was dire...think we scored 2 pts from play. Loose on and off the ball. No aggression, no anger,no urgency in our play...all too easy again.

If Nash was axed because of his puckouts is Collins to be jettisoned now too?? Be cause neither of them to be fair can be expected to hit static targets when the other team is waiting to pick them off. Really need to get away from this...if a short one isn't 100% on go fucking long...better to lose possession 30 meters from the opposition goal than 30 metrs from our own.

I can only see a Cooper/Fitz midfield come summer...nobody else is holding their hands up. If Downey is considered the long term prospect at FB play him there every game and let him makes his mistakes and learn on the job. Dalton looks up for putting in the hard graft but little ball went in to him today....surely we can utilise his skillset a bit better and get him comfortable at this level.

Why are we bringing on Lehane, Joyce, Walsh ( I know he scored a great goal), we know what these fellas can and can't do by now. Where are the newbies and how do they stake a claim?

To be honest I think the scoreboard flattered us a bit today - yes, we scored two great goals - but I think we only scored 2-5 from play, 7 scores from play wins you nothing. We were never in control of the game and Limerick always looked like they could up a few gears if they needed to. The gap between these two teams seems to be widening.

We'll no doubt hear "its only February" but its been "only February" for the last 10 years and nothing changes. Fucking Groundhog Day.

I couldn't take many positives out of that game. Bar the jerseys..the black jerseys are class.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:28 am

Was there somebody cut from the panel to make room for Lehane?
Turenne

Postby Turenne » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:37 am

I'd say we brought on Walsh due to our complete inability to win a puck-out. Not sure really though.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:17 pm

About the puckouts, I did notice in the second half that players were making runs into space towards the opposition goals to have the ball played down in front of them. It worked a few times.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Dorcha wrote:About the puckouts, I did notice in the second half that players were making runs into space towards the opposition goals to have the ball played down in front of them. It worked a few times.

Is this not something most teams do? Run to space to receive a puck out? Having the ball played in front of em to run onto, pick and throw over (Cooper I think got one such puck out but was blown by ref for taken too quickly) seems too difficult too pull off as a strategy. Fair enough once or twice a game.

Puck outs are becoming a huge problem. In the munster league final we had the same problem. Gifting LK points by hitting short puck outs too static men who by the time they turned had a man or men hounding them. This leads to the hand passing around the backs to try and get out of trouble and if the ball is not turned over its usually a blind clearance to get the ball out of the area. Seems like they haven't addressed this since that final. UCC were at the same. Now, they did go onto win the Fitz but realistically they were lucky in both semi and the final. Its clearly a style of play the Kingston bros favour but it coughs up too much scores. Its hard to know how to rectify this if they are insisting on players like, Meade, O'Flynn, Lehane and others who struggle to win puck outs. We go long we lose it, we go short we lose it. But I'd rather lose it on the opposition 45 than our own. I can't see anything changing at this stage now... Unless Kingston has a master plan under wraps it's what we are gonna see come championship. :roll:
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:19 pm

Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:Was there somebody cut from the panel to make room for Lehane?

Well he wasn't on the program and he was wearing jersey 21 when he came on, which was listed as Daire Connery.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:20 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:
Dorcha wrote:About the puckouts, I did notice in the second half that players were making runs into space towards the opposition goals to have the ball played down in front of them. It worked a few times.

Is this not something most teams do? Run to space to receive a puck out? Having the ball played in front of em to run onto, pick and throw over (Cooper I think got one such puck out but was blown by ref for taken too quickly) seems too difficult too pull off as a strategy. Fair enough once or twice a game.

Puck outs are becoming a huge problem. In the munster league final we had the same problem. Gifting LK points by hitting short puck outs too static men who by the time they turned had a man or men hounding them. This leads to the hand passing around the backs to try and get out of trouble and if the ball is not turned over its usually a blind clearance to get the ball out of the area. Seems like they haven't addressed this since that final. UCC were at the same. Now, they did go onto win the Fitz but realistically they were lucky in both semi and the final. Its clearly a style of play the Kingston bros favour but it coughs up too much scores. Its hard to know how to rectify this if they are insisting on players like, Meade, O'Flynn, Lehane and others who struggle to win puck outs. We go long we lose it, we go short we lose it. But I'd rather lose it on the opposition 45 than our own. I can't see anything changing at this stage now... Unless Kingston has a master plan under wraps it's what we are gonna see come championship. :roll:

Cooper was stationary when he received the puck-out (It was right in front of where I was). Running on to puck-outs heading towards opponents goals is different and is not common. It requires the ball to be hit over the player's head. Cork did generally have the 3 full backs available for puck-outs, but they were rarely used except in the case of a one,two with the goalkeeper.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”