Cork Senior Hurling 2020

Matty Hislop

Re: Cork Senior Hurling 2020

Postby Matty Hislop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:36 pm

youngbob wrote:We lost another match that was in the melting pot. Aidan Walsh's injury plus Rob O Flynns red card had a big bearing on the last 20mins. Most worrying for me is Harnedy. Like most of the league there's no questioning his effort but he hasn't shown any form at all. For the past 12 months he reminds me Lehane, you remember a spectacular score but then you remind yourself where were they for the rest of the game. The hand passing is killing us in the back line, with the wind at our backs we still won't hit quick ball into inside forward line where Kingston was dangerous anytime he got the ball.

I thought we might push on after O'Mahony's goal. I did feel like they upped the work rate a bit and went ahead for first time, but O'Flynns sending off scuppered it. Even with the man down they could of won but took wrong decisions as usual. I was baffled as to why a sub wasn't brought on for fresh legs at least. C Calahane looked enforced at HT coz Walsh picked up an injury. It looks like there is no plan B if we go a man down? Bringing on O'connor in injury time for Lehane who was being easily beaten by McInerney was madness. The lightest player on the team to pick up one of the toughest players out there. Wtf did they expect Jack to do?

I'm hoping there is some master plan behind all this. No interest in the league (not that we have any right for this attitude ) and purposely not selecting certain/new players only to spring them come champo. Otherwise this team is going nowhere.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Ya we're going around in circles while everyone else are making strides forward. At this rate we won't get out of munster.

I think there's possibly a coaching/managerial problem in Cork. We've talented players playing across all grades the past few years yet can't reach our potential, between minor 3 years ago up to u21 last year to the current senior team. There's a lack of direction and we're being completely out fought and horsed out of it.
Its gone completely flat and its meh performance after meh performance.

Cork are a nice hurling team that produce 2 good performances in one year, one normally in league and another in championship to knock somebody out before another flat performance the week after.
Round and around in circles
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:55 pm

A game we could have won....not because we were good or anything but we did show a bit of fight and Galway's wide tally, especially from frees, was keeping us in the game.

What O'Flynn did was stupid and unforgivable....at a time when we looked like we might be getting a bit of momentum to drive on and win the game. A ridiculous and totally unnecessary 'tackle' when what we needed most was composure and street smarts.

Couldn't believe how much cheap possession we gave away with sloppy, carless, handpassing & short passing...Coleman & TO'M were particularly guilty several times. Again, this contributed to Galway racking up a few scores which made all the difference in the end.

So that's it now til May and what have we learned?? Nothing that we didn't know already....seen all this before. And its a movie that doesn't end well.

Deja vu. Plus ca change...
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Another league over and are we any clearer about our starting 15. It was madness picking Cooper at CB and half way through putting Downey there after that, and then back to O Mahony today. I can see some logic if Bill started there today when management had to make a change to the starting line up but even then we're playing Bill out of position. He our best midfielder, end of story.
What we haven't addressed again is our softness for a battle. How management can bring Twomey and O Connor all around the country and not give them any gametime is shameful. Harnedy and Hoggie were only going through the motions in the league. I know people will say Hoggie put up an almighty score but most were from frees. Wouldn't it have been more beneficial to use new blood in this campaign and make them feel wanted than playing guys who you know come May\June will lstart. It happened under the last manager when we needed fresh legs in extra time in the AI semi he didn't trust them and continued with guys who had no more in the tank.
The positives from the league were Spillane got matches under his belt. OLH showed his credentials as did Dalton to be pushing for a place on the panel. Downey laid down a marker to start. Collins is breathing down Nash's neck for No1.
Negatives: again management show they are not ruthless at making changes(they're like the coach of an U12 match, when things are going pear shaped take off the corner forward).
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Ah but this is Cork hurling nowadays....we couldn't be arsed trying to win the league, its a winter competition...our stylish hurlers are only programmed to play on the hard grounds of summer....the league is all about finding out about new players etc etc etc.

So have Downey, Dalton, Conor Cahalane, Twomey, O'Connor, Turnbull, OLH, Connery, O'Regan, O'Connell really been given any chance to stake a claim during the league?

And have we learned anything new from Cadogan, D.Cahalane, Cooper, Hoggie, Lehane, Harnedy, Walsh that we didn't know before?

And have we seen anything new from Coleman, TOM, Fitz, Kingston, Spillane, O'Leary to indicate they are nailed on for certain positions?

And are we clearer now as to who will man the pivotal GK, FB,CB,MF,CF positions for championship hurling?

So we now have 11 weeks without a meaningful game to find the perfect mix and balance and it will be alright on the night come May??

I hate to say it but we will line up v Limerick with practically a re-arranged version of the 2019 team with at best 1 or 2 players from the first category above. And that team wasn't good enough in'17 or '18 or'19 and it won't be good enough in '20.

But hey, roll on the league 2021 and we'll start introducing all those promising youngfellas and all will be well again....I mean what have we got to complain about, its only 15 years since we won an All-Ireland.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:05 pm

It's a jokeashop at this stage. Interview in the echo after the game Kingston says we ran out of legs in last ten mins. Sher, maybe through on a sub or two there Tom, after them making the trip up. Nah, keep flogging Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane, Walsh and Cooper during the league.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:It's a jokeashop at this stage. Interview in the echo after the game Kingston says we ran out of legs in last ten mins. Sher, maybe through on a sub or two there Tom, after them making the trip up. Nah, keep flogging Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane, Walsh and Cooper during the league.

Kieran, even??? :)

But shit, did he really say that?? If he did its almost more worrying than the performance on the pitch.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Think we've defensive problems only?

We could argue that only ONE forward played well throughout the league, Shane Kingston with the odd cameo appearance from Aidan Walsh.
The rest of them are woefully off form. We ended the league with a pitiful - 2 scoring difference

Pa Horgan will be fine come summer but he played every minute of every game simply to take every free within 100 yards. We know what he can do. Try someone else ffs.

Cork scored 11-87 in the league and Hoggie scored exactly half of that, mostly from frees. We're one injury away from being totally fucked
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Sinbin wrote:
Matty Hislop wrote:It's a jokeashop at this stage. Interview in the echo after the game Kingston says we ran out of legs in last ten mins. Sher, maybe through on a sub or two there Tom, after them making the trip up. Nah, keep flogging Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane, Walsh and Cooper during the league.

Kieran, even??? :)

But shit, did he really say that?? If he did its almost more worrying than the performance on the pitch.

My bad! :roll: Getting all my Kingstons mixed up!

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/Kings ... d7eea89-ds
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 pm

If you want to see a team play with heart and grit just watch the Waterford display in the second half today vs Tipperary, done to 13 men it was outstanding, fought for everything and made Tipp warm every score.
Liam Cahill is some man to motivate a team, something that seems to be lacking from our own county where so many fellas just go through the motions.
Cork needed something from this league and we haven’t got it imo

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”