Cork Senior Hurling 2020

exile67

Re: Cork Senior Hurling 2020

Postby exile67 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:35 pm

She might have political ambition beyond her term as chair/chairwoman/chairperson. You'll note too that she describes herself on her Twitter account as a feminist and an educator. She might on the slate for the Social Democrats or a similar outfit soon.

https://twitter.com/Tracey_Cork?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:30 pm

She just umped on the bandwagon. Didn't Ger Lane ban it? But she'll get the credit
exile67

Postby exile67 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 am

Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Yer man from Sligo on the S'indo don't like Mitchell either.

That Kennedy wan is hard on the ear .................and eyes ;)
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:59 pm

Trouble ahead. Players acting up already

The Cork senior hurlers have met with county board officials to express their concerns about the proposed county championship format.

At a meeting earlier this week, a representative group from the county squad outlined concerns that the format would not allow them adequate time to prepare for intercounty games when those championships resume in the middle of October, particularly if - as expected - many of those same county panelists are involved in the latter stages of the county club championship.

While organising county championships is proving difficult for many counties, the sheer number of clubs and competitions in Cork make it particularly challenging.

The Cork County Board is not expected to make a final decision on the structure of the county championships until Croke Park publishes a master fixture schedule for the 2020 intercounty championships.

Intercounty activity is to resume no earlier than October 17, but if neither Cork team is involved on this weekend, then it is understood the Cork County Board may seek to extend their club championships beyond the October 11 deadline originally outlined in the GAA's return to action roadmap.

As this would truncate the preparation time for intercounty teams, representatives of the senior hurling panel put their concerns regarding this and other matters on the record with officials.

The disparity in preparation time for county teams has been the source of plenty of discussions this week.
Laois manager Eddie Brennan summed up the issue in this newspaper earlier this week, saying: “I think most managers would feel okay with not being allowed to train until a certain date - provided it’s the same for everybody.

"As things stand, Wexford would be finished its championship and all its county players would be available from the middle or end of August. In Laois county players wouldn’t be available until the last weekend in September.

"If Laois were playing Wexford in the Leinster championship which team would have the distinct advantage in terms of preparation? The GAA has to be very strong with this and proactive in acting.”

There is a good deal of variety in counties’ championship structures, but Wexford’s plans have been the focus of much attention in recent days. It has been reported their county board has planned to run the club hurling championship off in just over three weeks in August, while other counties have plans which stretch into late September.

Brennan’s concerns were echoed by Cork football manager Ronan McCarthy when speaking to local radio last week: “Since the announcement of the dates for returning to club and county action, that has become a bit more contentious because it now allows counties to find their own championship structure and dates. The worry there is, first of all, it’s going to create a poor experience for clubs in some counties and also disadvantage some county teams where some counties have eight weeks preparation and some only four.”
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 pm

It’ s like trying to take 4 from 2; you’re going to come up with a minus.

There is a genuine problem.

I think, myself, the inter-county championship should have been abandoned for this year – just as they abandoned the leagues. Let the counties play out their club championships without pressure and restart the inter-county again next year. By trying to run them all off, they’re putting everyone under pressure.
northcorklad

Postby northcorklad » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Dorcha wrote:It’ s like trying to take 4 from 2; you’re going to come up with a minus.

I think, myself, the inter-county championship should have been abandoned for this year – just as they abandoned the leagues. Let the counties play out their club championships without pressure and restart the inter-county again next year. By trying to run them all off, they’re putting everyone under pressure.

A non-runner, money will talk and I think what's being forgotten in this debate regarding time between club championships ending and inter-county starting is that the majority of players in any county panel don't make it to a county final in a given year, and these lads will have decent time to prepare. The year will be better for having an inter-county championship anyway, the novelty of a December all Ireland is quite enticing and a winter championship could throw up some surprises hopefully.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Dorcha wrote:It’ s like trying to take 4 from 2; you’re going to come up with a minus.

I don't think theve abandoned the leagues. They plan on squeezing in 2 rounds before the championship starts, in October
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 pm

Well said, give the rest of the year to the clubs and let them run off their championships as they want. We all know the real reason why the top table wants the championship played in Winter, you can't abandon the sacred golden calf and the money it generates. Personally I hate the thought of Winter championships, especially in hurling. Muck and shit hurling has never appealed to me and to be honest as a Cork supporter I would hold out little hope for us. God knows we can't get over the line during the height of Summer with the ground hard. I'd fear for us on heavy pitches in wind, rain and god knows what else in games where the physical element of the game will be increased substantially from what it would be in Summer
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Munster Quarter final - Limerick v Clare

Semi final - Limerick/Clare v Tipperary
Semi final - Cork v Waterford

While there's absolutely no guarantee that Cork will beat Waterford, that's the best possible draw for Cork in a straight knockout.
Games to be played in November. That sounds strange no matter how you look at it. AI final just before Christmas

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”