Televised GAA

Dorcha

Re: Televised GAA

Postby Dorcha » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Very timely articles. While I have Sky, I can’t afford to subscribe to their sports channels, so I never see their GAA coverage.

A few extracts from the first article gets to the core of the issue.

“Ultimately, when you strip away the rhetoric of serving emigrants what you are left with is the provision of a service that was already available but is now fragmented, and now costs at least four times the previous price.”

“Once again a picture reveals more than any number of words. In the hours after Mayo defeated Donegal in last year’s All-Ireland SFC quarter-final, a photograph taken in the Mayo town of Balla was circulating all across social media.
It shows people crowded into a house and others gaping through the windows – all trying to see the Mayo-Donegal match which was exclusively live on Sky Sports. Similar photographs were taken of people crowding around radios in the 1930s.”

It is interesting that the Sky deal will be debated at Congress this year. This, hopefully, will see the end of it and TV3 getting a chance at it again.
How much was the Sky deal worth to the GAA in monetary terms? I never recall seeing even an estimated figure. No doubt it’s somewhere in the GAA’s yearly accounts, but it’s surprising that no reporter has ever picked up something that is of interest to all GAA supporters.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 pm

You wouldnt even know the NATIONAL leagues were starting up this weekend, its all Rugby talk over on RTE. Thanks the Lord God for TG4.

UPCOMING GAA COVERAGE ON TG4

Sunday 31 January

Allianz Football League, Round 1

Live: Cork v Mayo, Páirc Uí Rinn

Deferred: Roscommon v Monaghan, Hyde Park

Saturday 6 February

AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship Semi Finals

Live: Sarsfields (Galway) v Ruairí Óg (Antrim), Páirc Tailteann at 2pm

Live: Oulart-The Ballagh (Wexford) v Na Piarsaigh (Limerick), Semple Stadium at 3:45pm

Sunday 7 February

Allianz Football League, Round 2

Live: Kerry v Roscommon, Fitzgerald Stadium

Deferred: Donegal v Cork, Ballyshannon

Saturday 13 February

AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship Semi Finals

Live: Ballyboden St Endas (Dublin) v Clonmel Commercials (Tipperary), O’Moore Park at 4:30pm

Live: Castlebar Mitchels (Mayo) v Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh), Kingspan Breffni Park at 6:15pm

Sunday 14 February

Allianz Hurling League, Round 1

Live: Waterford v Kilkenny, Walsh Park

Deferred: Galway v Cork, Pearse Stadium

Saturday 20 February

Live: Sigerson Cup Final

Live from Ulster University Jordanstown at 2:30pm

Sunday 21 February

Allianz Hurling League, Round 2

Live: Kilkenny v Tipperary, Nowlan Park

Deferred: Wexford v Clare, Innovate Wexford Park

Saturday 27 February

Live: Fitzgibbon Cup Final

Live from Cork IT at 3pm

Sunday 28 February

Allianz Football League, Round 3

Live: Donegal v Mayo, Páirc Mhic Cumhaill, Ballybofey

Deferred: Down v Kerry, Páirc Esler

Sunday 6 March

Allianz Football League, Round 4

Allianz Hurling League, Round 3

Live & deferred match

Saturday 12 March
Saturday 21 March

O’Connor Cup Final (Ladies Football 3rd Level Colleges)

Sunday 13 March

Allianz Football League, Round 5

Allianz Hurling League, Round 4

Live & deferred coverage

Thursday 17 March

AIB All Ireland Club Football & Hurling Championship Finals

Sunday 20 March

Allianz Hurling League, Round 5

Live & deferred coverage

Sunday 27 March (Easter Sunday)

Allianz Football League, Round 6

Live & deferred coverage

Monday 28 March

Masita Post Primary Senior Hurling Finals (Semple Stadium, Thurles)

Saturday 2 April

Masita Post Primary Senior Football Finals (Páirc an Chrócaigh)

Sunday 3 April

Allianz Football League, Round 7

Live & deferred coverage

Sunday 10 April

Allianz Football League Division 1 Semi-Finals

Saturday 16 April

Eirgrid All-Ireland U21 Football Semi-Finals

(Connacht v Leinster & Munster v Ulster)

Sunday 17 April

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Semi-Finals

Saturday 23 April

Allianz Football League Division 3 & 4 Finals

Sunday 24 April

Allianz Football League Division 1 & 2 Finals

Saturday 30 April

Lidl Ladies National Football League Division 4 Final

Eirgrid All-Ireland U21 Football Final

Sunday 1 May

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Final

Saturday 7 May

Lidl Ladies National Football League Finals – Division 1, 2 & 3
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:39 pm

tg4 are the best for covarege of the gaa
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Dorcha wrote:
It is interesting that the Sky deal will be debated at Congress this year. This, hopefully, will see the end of it and TV3 getting a chance at it again.
How much was the Sky deal worth to the GAA in monetary terms? I never recall seeing even an estimated figure. No doubt it’s somewhere in the GAA’s yearly accounts, but it’s surprising that no reporter has ever picked up something that is of interest to all GAA supporters.

At the time off the deal, it was said to be worth 1.5 mill to 2 million more than the existing previous deals although the GAA said the increase in media rights in their yearly accounts will be minimal.

I think the GAA brought SKY in to give the RTE a kick in hole and just letting them know who the boss is. The knicker twisting about the SKY deal is beyond me to be honest as you are talking about nine matches not free to air, just 9 like. If folks are that worried they are missing out they could always toddle along to the game, now there is a novel idea. New companies entering the market will only improve coverage in the long run, think Setanta 10 years ago showing league games for the first time now TG4 are showing them. Do you think if it was left in the hands of RTE we would have ever got to see a league game on TV?
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 pm

westcorkrebel wrote:tg4 are the best for covarege of the gaa

Define best for coverage ?
Their picture quality is horrendous.
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:39 pm

Corkhurlinglove wrote:
westcorkrebel wrote:tg4 are the best for covarege of the gaa

Define best for coverage ?
Their picture quality is horrendous.

the amount of games they show from intercounty and club and also the highlights show is an hour long worth of highlights of games that rte have no interest of showing
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 pm

westcorkrebel wrote:
the amount of games they show from intercounty and club and also the highlights show is an hour long worth of highlights of games that rte have no interest of showing

Totally agree, nearly 70 this year I believe including Colleges and Schools.
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Corkhurlinglove wrote:
Dorcha wrote:

At the time off the deal, it was said to be worth 1.5 mill to 2 million more than the existing previous deals although the GAA said the increase in media rights in their yearly accounts will be minimal.

I think the GAA brought SKY in to give the RTE a kick in hole and just letting them know who the boss is. The knicker twisting about the SKY deal is beyond me to be honest as you are talking about nine matches not free to air, just 9 like. If folks are that worried they are missing out they could always toddle along to the game, now there is a novel idea. New companies entering the market will only improve coverage in the long run, think Setanta 10 years ago showing league games for the first time now TG4 are showing them. Do you think if it was left in the hands of RTE we would have ever got to see a league game on TV?

Their are other free to air options other than RTE. TV3 were comparable to Sky. There are other options on Free Sat such as Irish Tv etc that could be explored if they are that worried about promoting the game across the water.

Surely if the GAA want more people going to the games the best option would be to televise less games. Giving your games to pay per view doesn't mean more spectators at games, it just means the select wealthy few get to watch while others do without or boost the profits of publicans.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Corkhurlinglove wrote:

You sound just like Padraic Duffy and just like him you think there is no experience outside your own.

I can just see myself "toddling along" to a Dublin and Donegal match in Croke Park or Ballyshannon, but just because Mr Duffy wants to give RTE "a kick up the hole", I am deprived of seeing them.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”