Televised GAA

langerinexile

Re: Televised GAA

Postby langerinexile » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:43 am

Podsy wrote: Strides were made with Donal Óg and Eddie Brennan on TSG but too many of the pundits are ill-prepared, poorly researched and devoid of insight. .

I would agree, I have to say I found Jamise O'Connor very good on Sky so much so I watched the latter stages of the hurling championship 'live' on Sky as Donal Óg and Eddie Brennan were always on the Sunday evening highlights show. The football analysis on both stations could in my opinion do with a revamp. There's too much soundbites from alot of them and not enough proper unbiased intelligent analysis.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:02 am

OK off topic a bit but this can be extended to the print media too. So many of the GAA pundits give the impression they hate football. Handpassing is blight on the game, Soloing is blight on the game defending is a blight on the game. They seem to just not enjoy football. What other sport is so self hating? It drives me mad.

The one that drives me to distraction, is "All this hand passing - they should call it handball not football". Do you think American Football and Rugby Football are beating themselves up that their sport dosn't do what it says on the tin.

Sports evolve, go in cycles. Either embrace the game for what it is or piss off.

Auld lads harking back to some sort of halcyion past that incidentally GAA gold on TG4 suggests to me didn't exist.

Days when lads would hop down off their tractor/factory/trawler/pulpit/cement mixer Saturday afternoon, cycle to Dublin, drink 8 pints of porter (and by God there was ating and drinking in the stuff them times). Get mass twice the next morning, have their boots and flat cap blessed by Canon Murphy (togging out at wing forward).

The object of the game to my eyes, was first and foremost to break your opponent's jaw. After that it was to stop your opponent touching the ball. If by any chance you ended up with the ball in your possession it seems from TG4 that it was either heated or infused with the smallpox bacillus because the object of the exercise was to ballon it as far an high and far from yourself as you could. In an ideal world this was in the general direction of the opponents goal. I gather that the point of this was to use the cold climes of the upper atmosphere to either extinguish the fire or kill the small pox germs. In no circumstances were you to pass to your team mates. It was unmanly to do so, it inferred a certain effiminacy in your team mates, as if you suggested that he could not fight for the ball himself and needed your good graces to hand it to him.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:53 am

greatbleddyman wrote:OK off topic a bit but this can be extended to the print media too. So many of the GAA pundits give the impression they hate football. Handpassing is blight on the game, Soloing is blight on the game defending is a blight on the game. They seem to just not enjoy football. What other sport is so self hating? It drives me mad.

The one that drives me to distraction, is "All this hand passing - they should call it handball not football". Do you think American Football and Rugby Football are beating themselves up that their sport dosn't do what it says on the tin.

Sports evolve, go in cycles. Either embrace the game for what it is or piss off.

Auld lads harking back to some sort of halcyion past that incidentally GAA gold on TG4 suggests to me didn't exist.

Days when lads would hop down off their tractor/factory/trawler/pulpit/cement mixer Saturday afternoon, cycle to Dublin, drink 8 pints of porter (and by God there was ating and drinking in the stuff them times). Get mass twice the next morning, have their boots and flat cap blessed by Canon Murphy (togging out at wing forward).

The object of the game to my eyes, was first and foremost to break your opponent's jaw. After that it was to stop your opponent touching the ball. If by any chance you ended up with the ball in your possession it seems from TG4 that it was either heated or infused with the smallpox bacillus because the object of the exercise was to ballon it as far an high and far from yourself as you could. In an ideal world this was in the general direction of the opponents goal. I gather that the point of this was to use the cold climes of the upper atmosphere to either extinguish the fire or kill the small pox germs. In no circumstances were you to pass to your team mates. It was unmanly to do so, it inferred a certain effiminacy in your team mates, as if you suggested that he could not fight for the ball himself and needed your good graces to hand it to him.

There's a man of 90-odd who sits at the end of the bar in our local and it's like you taped him. Generations have kneeled in front of him to listen to his heroic tales. I'm that biteen older now so I smile and hold the tongue. I can't help noticing, though, that there seems to have been vast improvements in the quality of the football he played since he stopped playing it. He seems to have won an ungodly amount of games with a beguiling craft that one deity alone could not have bestowed upon a mortal, the type of craft that - alas - is nary to be found in these mundane, unenlightened times. It's confusing to me as my Grandfather, God rest him, in the nearest swerve he ever made towards a foul blow once told me that the same Laoch was "faith, a mighty man to have on the bench".
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:35 am

Podsy wrote:
It's lazy, puerile, infantile powder-puff crap aimed at people with IQ's of 12. RTE would never treat rugby fans with such patronising disdain.

You never watched George Hook in full flow then? They actually boasted last year that they deliberately dumbed down their analysis for years because the average viewer wasn't interested in the technical stuff. Watch the look on Ronan O'Gara's face when some of the older analysts start talking. It's worth the license fee on its own.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:26 am

True, Dhá Lámh, rugby has Hook to put up with. No disputing that. I wouldn't wish it on a Kerryman.
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30 am

Podsy wrote:I wouldn't wish it on a Kerryman.

Then you are a greater man than I ever could be :)
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:27 pm

langerinexile wrote:
Podsy wrote:I wouldn't wish it on a Kerryman.

Then you are a greater man than I ever could be :)

:D
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:18 am

[quote="Podsy"]

Strides were made with Donal Óg and Eddie Brennan on TSG but too many of the pundits are ill-prepared, poorly researched and devoid of insight. [ /quote]

You think? DOC analysis, I thought was very good but for me he ruined with his off tangent rants/sound bites similarly to what Brolly does. As for Brennan, the most KK biased pundit since Duignan :-)

I know a lot of folks don't like Brolly but I find him honest and he calls it as he sees it regardless, like last year he said we were un expectedly superb in Killarney the first day and absolutely brutal against Killdara.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 am

Corkhurlinglove wrote:
Podsy wrote:
Strides were made with Donal Óg and Eddie Brennan on TSG but too many of the pundits are ill-prepared, poorly researched and devoid of insight. [ /quote]

You think? DOC analysis, I thought was very good but for me he ruined with his off tangent rants/sound bites similarly to what Brolly does. As for Brennan, the most KK biased pundit since Duignan :-)

I know a lot of folks don't like Brolly but I find him honest and he calls it as he sees it regardless, like last year he said we were un expectedly superb in Killarney the first day and absolutely brutal against Killdara.

I think you/re right in that, CHL, but some of his stuff is unnecessarily sensationalist - "true Gaels everywhere should be hoping Cork lose" as an example.
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 pm

two games on tg4 today senior club hurling semi finals and irish tv has the junior and intermediate finals football finals aswell

and irish tv have the junior and intermediate hurling finals tomorrow

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”