Televised GAA

Dorcha

Re: Televised GAA

Postby Dorcha » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm

The unpalatable truth which refuses to go away for the GAA.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/dark-clouds-still-surround-skys-deal-with-the-gaa-435490.html

A few extracts from the Paul Rouse article -

“When it comes to TV, however, there is one basic measure of success around which everything else revolves — that is, of course, the number of people who watch.

“We know that this matters to the GAA because its Director General Pádraic Duffy has said it does: “With us, we start from this point — how can we best promote the games and make them available to the maximum number of people?”

“Now, over the past three years the average number of people who watch GAA matches on Sky Sports is less than one-10th of those who previously watched games on TV3 (who Sky Sports displaced).

“Of course, the interview in which Duffy made those comments on maximising audiences is the same interview where he said the GAA was constrained from selling its games to Sky Sports and that this was “rightly” the case. He said then that the reason for such constraints was that there was “a sense that the GAA belonged to everybody in Ireland, that it’s in every parish and village”, and because of that, no sale of games to Sky Sports could be tolerated.

“In the months after that interview was published, the GAA did its first Sky deal in 2014. The Director General must now feel an acute sense of embarrassment as he reviews his words. But he shouldn’t. They were in line with words spoken and written by GAA officials for more than two decades. And they are sentiments held by many GAA members across the country.”

“What the Sky deal actually did was significantly increase the costs for Irish emigrants in Britain who wish to watch Gaelic Games.

“This remains the case for the new Sky deal — and, worse again, the online GAAGO which broadcasts Gaelic Games all over the world will not be allowed show the matches that Sky Sports have in Britain. Why should Irish emigrants in Britain be discriminated against in this way?

“It is a pity that the GAA hierarchy did not address these issues (and a range of other questions) in announcing their new Sky deal.”
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Looks like another good programme on tg4 this evening "An Fhuil & an Bindealán", The Blood and Bandage!
The history of the Cork jersey
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:18 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Looks like another good programme on tg4 this evening "An Fhuil & an Bindealán", The Blood and Bandage!
The history of the Cork jersey

Let's hope Peadar and Kieran make it compulsive viewing for their troops.
I wouldn't be at all sure that there is the same pride in the jersey as of yore.
More of that stuff in the 'Monster Jersey' these days due in no small measure to the media hype.
Not a typo, just trying to imitate the accent of the dickheads who never kicked a ball. :lol:
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Was a great watch
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Just catching up this now.

The state of Barrack Street in it, everything looks closed and run down

Anyone know where those old offices of the CCB are, with the sign above the door? Is it Cook St by any chance.
And i see fellas having a pop at O Grady's Irish on Proc. What rubbish, they've a lot to worry about
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:24 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Just catching up this now.

The state of Barrack Street in it, everything looks closed and run down

Anyone know where those old offices of the CCB are, with the sign above the door? Is it Cook St by any chance.
And i see fellas having a pop at O Grady's Irish on Proc. What rubbish, they've a lot to worry about

To be fair, Barrack Street is an awful sight anyway, 'twould be hard to make it look any better on TV. I think the old CCB offices from where the jerseys were taken was on Maylor Street. I'd pay no heed to PROC, a dominant clique have destroyed it and turned it into an echo chamber and it's primarily an English soccer site anyway.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

My dad told me it is indeed Cook street. They were there to when they moved out to the new old pairc in the 70s.
He also told me an interesting fact- they the CCB never acknowledged the name as Cook St as it was a name given onto Cork at the time of the War of Independence by the Brits so they said screw that.
Anyone confirm this?
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Corcaigh Abú wrote:I'd pay no heed to PROC, a dominant clique have destroyed it and turned it into an echo chamber and it's primarily an English soccer site anyway.

Very true.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 pm

tipp-ex wrote:My dad told me it is indeed Cook street.

Spoke to a old fella yesterday and told me he had to go there after being spotted at a soccer match in Flower Lodge and he got suspended, ah the good old days :-)
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:17 pm

Eir (Setanta) are expanding their league coverage this year, covering sixteen football games and seven hurling, including in the hurling Cork and Clare and Cork and Dublin. I wonder are they taking some of TG4's matches; there are hardly thirty-three weeks in the leagues.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265422

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”