Televised GAA

greatbleddyman

Re: Televised GAA

Postby greatbleddyman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:40 am

If Ryle can't get the Lions on RTE, he's sure to bother his hoop for GAA
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 am

The free to air is an argument that is hard to speak against when someone talks of the elderly person who can't travel to a game. As for someone my own age from the competing counties and you miss a game that is not sold out then I have less sympathy if I am honest.

However what I will say is the Sky production team do a good job, Jamesie O'Connor in my opinion is fine analyst and I enjoy listening and watching him. I think Donal Óg was a big loss to RTE in that regard.

But I accept the point about free to air and I for one was surprised that Sky got a new deal given the outrage and the fact that TV3 have really upped their sports coverage. The bulk of the GAA games will always be free to air and I think RTE should be more worried about TV3 than Sky on the GAA front.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Perhaps I've only just noticed it this year but RTE's coverage is slipping. I actually agree with Michael Duignan about our games being on terrestrial TV but the irony was that his comments came in the middle of what I considered a bad day for RTE GAA.

Was at the match on Sunday, thankfully but watching both TSG Live and TSG last night I was struck by how little analysis there was of the game.

Firstly TSG Live had very little chat at all before the game, mostly ads at half time and very little afterwards. There was hardly any analysis whatsoever as to tactics and I don't recall one insight which made me think "ok, I've learned something there". The whole point of experts is that we should be constantly learning from them, as we do when we buy a pint for and pull up a seat beside the wise ol' heads in our clubs.

There was also a blotting of TSG Live's copybook with the churlish comments from Henry Shefflin bout Donal Óg Cusack and his charts. Winning one Munster Senior yesterday doesn't erase 12 years without an All-Ireland and winning one Munster Minor doesn't erase decades of underage neglect, as welcome and as joyous as both were. It was foolish of Shefflin to reference that chat on TSG that he and Cusack had two years ago, and more foolish still to claim that somehow yesterday proved Shefflin right. Cusack's points were illustrated with facts and charts, Shefflin's counter argument was nonsensical and proved why he is a poor replacement for the Cloyne man.

Which brings us to TSG on Sunday night which, as it always is (particularly, admittedly, when your county wins), was far too short. The highlights were over in the blink of an eye, they only had time for some of the scores and didn't even include Coleman's stunning sideline, showed none of the great defending and were far too short to paint the picture of the game. Afterwards, the analysis rectified the omission of Coleman's sideline cut but bizzarely didn't include the man in the nominations for MOTM, as ever they spent most of the time talking about disciplinary issues - this time it was Horgan and gave the usually likeable Daly enough time to bring up Horgan's red card against Limerick "a few years back" but not enough time to mention that it was an unfair red card and then, before you knew it, the whole thing was over, having woken up our hunger without putting it back to bed again.

What rush is on them? This was the Munster Hurling Final. They only covered three games. We were in no rush to go to bed and could easily have put up with an hour of proper highlights and analysis presented by people who actually know their tactics and want to talk about tactics, not this towel-wringing "arra, they'll be disappointed" nonsense.

Where are the wise ol' heads that we want to share a pint and a chat with?
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Podsy wrote:Perhaps I've only just noticed it this year but RTE's coverage is slipping. I actually agree with Michael Duignan about our games being on terrestrial TV but the irony was that his comments came in the middle of what I considered a bad day for RTE GAA.

Was at the match on Sunday, thankfully but watching both TSG Live and TSG last night I was struck by how little analysis there was of the game.

?

Would agree with you Podsy, I think it's been slipping, I watched the latter stages of the hurling championship on Sky last summer because the analysis was simply better in my opinion. I could listen to Jamesie O'Connor or Donal Óg talk hurling all day long, RTE have lost Donal Óg now and as you said haven't really replaced him with a pundit of similar quality.

Whether Sky should have the GAA at all, well that's another debate.
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Rte's policy with regards to gaa is to deny it to other stations and simply that. They know people will watch and therefore don't give a fuck about quality of analysis etc
How any credible TV station could have Carr or Carney as cork commentators or an 'analyst'like brolly or O'Rourke or mulcahy for example.
I'd say ryle and dee just about tolerate gaa
jbm1

Postby jbm1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm

TG4 is your only man...Just brilliant
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Quite right, JBM1 - give all the games to TG4, and it might help the country to learn Irish as well!
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Eir Sport List of fixtures

27/01 5pm Dublin v Offaly (H) eir sport 1

27/01 5pm Cork v Tipperary (F) eir sport 2

27/01 7pm Dublin v Kildare (F) eir sport 2

27/01 7pm Cork v Kilkenny (H) eir sport 1

03/02 Deferred Mayo v Kerry (F) eir sport 2

03/02 7pm Tyrone v Dublin (F)(DEFERRED) eir sport 2

03/02 7pm Tipperary v Waterford (H) eir sport 1

10/02 7pm Dublin v Donegal (F) eir sport 2

10/02 7pm Cavan v Meath (F) eir sport 1

17/02 7pm Tipperary v Wexford (H) eir sport 2

17/02 7pm Limerick v Dublin (H) eir sport 1

24/02 7pm Mayo v Dublin (F) eir sport 2

24/02 7pm Monaghan v Tyrone (F) eir sport 1

03/03 7pm Dublin v Kerry (F) eir sport 2

03/03 7pm Tyrone v Donegal (F) eir sport 1

17/03 7pm Kerry v Kildare (F) eir sport 2

17/03 7pm Cork v Clare (F) eir sport 1

TG4 List of Fixtures
Sunday 21 January
1:45pm GAA Beo coverage begins on TG4 - Live from O'Moore Park, Portlaoise
2:00pm An Ghaeltacht (Kerry) v Moy Tír na nÓg (Tyrone), AIB All-Ireland Intermediate Club Football Championship Semi-Final
4:00pm Westmeath v Meath, Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup Football Final

Sunday 28 January
12:40pm GAA Beo Coverage begins
Live match: Clare v Tipperary, Live from Cusack Park, Ennis (Allianz Hurling League, Round 1) 2pm throw-in
Deferred match: Kerry v Donegal from Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney

Sunday 4 February
1:30pm GAA Beo Coverage begins
Live: Wexford v Cork, Live from Innovate Wexford Park
Deferred: Donegal v Galway from Letterkenny
Deferred: Kilkenny v Clare from Nowlan Park

Saturday 10 February
1:30pm GAA Beo Coverage begins
Live coverage from the AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship Semi-Finals
Na Piarsaigh v Slaughtneil from Parnell Park (2pm throw-in)
Cuala v Liam Mellows from Semple Stadium (4pm throw-in)

Sunday 11 February
11:50am GAA Beo coverage begins
Live: Lidl Ladies National Football League Division 1 - Galway v Mayo, Live from Pearse Stadium (12pm throw-in)
Live: Galway v Mayo, Allianz Football League, Round 3, Live from Pearse Stadium (2pm throw-in)
Deferred: Monaghan v Kerry from Iniskeen
Deferred: Kildare v Tyrone from Newbridge

Saturday 17 February
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship Semi-Final
Live: Moorefield v Corofin or Fulham Gaels

Sunday 18 February
Live and deferred coverage of three matches from the third round of the Allianz Hurling League
Clare v Cork, Waterford v Kilkenny and Galway v Offaly.

Saturday 24 February
4pm Coverage begins on GAA Beo
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship Semi-Final
Live: Slaughtneil v Nemo Rangers, Live from O'Moore Park, Portlaoise (4:30pm throw-in)

Sunday 25 February
Live and deferred coverage of three matches:
Allianz Hurling League Round 4
Allianz Football League Round 4

Sunday 4 March
Allianz Football League, Round 5
Allianz Hurling League, Round 5

Sunday 11 March
Allianz Hurling League Quarter-Finals (Division 1)

Saturday 17 March
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Football and Hurling Finals, Live from Croke Park

Sunday 18 March
Allianz Football League, Round 6
Allianz Hurling League Semi-Finals (Division 1)

Saturday 24 March
Allianz Hurling League Final (Division 1)

Sunday 25 March
Allianz Football League Round 7

Saturday 31 March
Allianz Football League Finals (Division 3 & 4)

Sunday 1 April
Allianz Football League Finals (Division 1 & 2)

Plenty to keep us going for the Spring months
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Plenty for the poor auld fellas living in top of mountains to watch before sky impose a magic forcefield around the roads and railways of Ireland in summer
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:40 am

Oh, yes - I'm all right, Jack. Pay-per-view is wrong in an organisation like the GAA, none the less.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”