Televised GAA

Dorcha

Re: Televised GAA

Postby Dorcha » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 pm

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/rise-of-pay-tv-will-show-money-gaas-future-priority-466925.html

According to Paul Rouse, six of the twelve matches in this year's football Super 8 will be exclusive to Sky Sports.

Mind you, I think he shows a lack of awareness when he says that "there are currently club and league matches being broadcasted on Eir Sports whose showing would not happen otherwise." Has he never heard of TG4 (a channel he neglects to mention in the article)? TG4 fairly regularly broadcast club and inter-county league games live, but, of courser they can't cover them all and those may be the ones he has in mind. TG4 broadcasted the first Saturday night league match under lights (in Pairc Ui Roinn) and has done a lot more to popularise GAA games than Sky ever will.

He also mentions Croke Park's dismissal of this year's motions by Clare, Roscommon and Leitrim on the grounds that a similar motion from Dublin failed last year. I wonder is that actually a rule, or simply a convenient excuse by the Powers-that-be, who seem to be pursuing their own agenda, regardless of what most members want.

A timely article.
Jack Spratt

Postby Jack Spratt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Interesting conundrum here.
The Examiner allowing someone to moan about a pay wall.
But you cannot get past the Examiner wall unless you register.
Wonder why they want you to be registered.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Please note that it is not the Examiner which is highlighting the hypocrisy of the GAA; it is Paul Rouse. He is simply giving his own opinion and is not a mouthpiece for the Examiner. What is being examined here is the policy of the GAA as regards television coverage of its games, not the policy of the Examiner on pay-per-view for news. First time, I've seen this pop up, though. Pretty soon, there will be few people reading them, as pretty soon the GAA audience will decline.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Well, I've registered, Jack, and the only catch I can see at the moment is when you try to comment on the article, before you can post it, you are required to sign in with your Twitter or Facebook account. If you do so, you are informed that the Examiner will receive your public profile, friend list and email address. You are allowed to deselect the friend list and the email address but not your profile, so basically they will become possessed of any information you have put up on yourself. If you pass on that, as I have, you can still read their online articles. A bit of a nuisance, though, that I can't any longer link to an article, because others may not be registered.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Two Cork County Senior Hurling Championship games on TG4 on Sunday afternoon, Midleton v Bishopstown and Carrigtwohill v Blackrock.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/live-sport/gaa-beo/

God bless TG4.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”