Rebel Og

Cork Bhoy

Re: Rebel Og

Postby Cork Bhoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 pm

That's great spongebob but all those sports u named are at the weekend. In Gaa U -16 play Mon. U-14 wend and Minor play Thurs. Parents will have to take time off work every week to travel over an hour to a match. E.g. Bride Rovers v Charleville. Match on a Monday @ 7. Arrive 1:2 hour before game travel an hour. So parents must leave at 5-30. Not Fair
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Cork Bhoy wrote:That's great spongebob but all those sports u named are at the weekend. In Gaa U -16 play Mon. U-14 wend and Minor play Thurs. Parents will have to take time off work every week to travel over an hour to a match. E.g. Bride Rovers v Charleville. Match on a Monday @ 7. Arrive 1:2 hour before game travel an hour. So parents must leave at 5-30. Not Fair

You have reduced the argument to overly simplistic terms. For example, is the Bride Rovers v Charleville fixture indicative of every fixture for every club in terms of distance and time travelled? Or is it an outlier? For, example Douglas to Glanmire is only 9km. It could take an hour to travel that in the evening if you left at 5.30. This is an outlier. Though, there are other such examples.

In the current divisional structure, Carrignavar to Youghal is further than Rathcormac to Charleville. It is an outlier though. How far is it from Alihies to Glengarriffe?

Must all parents take time off to go to matches? To drop their kids off? I don't see this happening at my club. I see some parents going and organizing with others to collect their offspring. Is this not possible elsewhere?

Does everybody work 9-5? There are lots of different work arrangements are there not? Shift, flexi-time etc.

Does everybody work in the location that they live in? Parents will be working in many random parts of the county, country and world even. For those working far away, Watergrasshill could prove as difficult to get to as Charleville for Bride Rovers people. Depending on the circumstance.

In the Charleville, Bride Rovers example - one of those teams is at home. Stating the obvious here but clearly needs to be stated. If the Charleville/Bride Rovers example was indicative of every fixture, then how often would you be doing it? 10 times a year.. Max!! Name one team that has been forced to do this traveling 5 times or more.. Possibly Castletownbere but what is Rebel Og supposed to do?

Soccer, Rugby play mostly at weekends. They are winter sports. There is little option. Can Charleville not organize a Saturday game?

If Charleville and Bride Rovers are evenly matched teams, then it is a benefit to both of them to play each other. It is fair.
Cork Bhoy

Postby Cork Bhoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:21 pm

If u look at U-16 A hurling. Bride Rovers and Watergrashill both clubs playing in The North region for the first time because there was only 6 clubs playing there. Whereas there was 12 in the East. It will be great to play other teams but all this was done without consulting the clubs and both these teams are playin in the East football.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:01 pm

The new idea is that the regions are flexible, the boundaries are flexible. Where would Bride Rovers and Watergrasshill players go to school? Most I imagine head to Fermoy (from Rathcormac anyway). Traditionally, they have always been in Imokily though they can also be considered North. I know a few involved with Watergrasshill (not at underage). I must ask their opinion.

For years, teams have entered other division leagues to get more games. I can remember Kilmoyley of Kerry entering the city division minor hurling league one year!! They were given NO home games! They entered because they wanted better games for their players and they realized they needed to travel to do this. As mentioned, it has also been happening in other sports for years.

The key here is that we all get good games. We need to be flexible and open minded. Not rigid. We are all seeking answers as to why Cork has fallen from a position of dominance in recent years? There are lots of theories but no absolute reasons or answers. To fix our problems, we need to start using our natural strengths and not copy others. Our biggest advantage is our size. Kilkenny will never be able to produce 70 under 16 hurling teams because of its size. We can though. We should make each of those teams as good as we can make them. We should expose those players to the best most competitive games that we can provide. Rebel Og Central started that. The flexible boundaries is another step. A step in the right direction.

Just give it a go. It also needs to be said that one of the biggest proponents and loudest voices behind all of this is Kevin O'Donovan. He is considered a demi-God on here by some. I am not sure of Frank stance on it. But if you thinking he is f**King the clubs on this issue, the alternatives are all pro flexibility too. It is the buzz word.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Where Is the website gone?
Cork Bhoy

Postby Cork Bhoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 pm

You are missing my point. Or maybe I wasn't clear. Bride Rovers traditionally Imokilly. We have players on the U-16 Imokilly team and yet we are playing in the Avondhu region. Our Football team are playing East and all our other teams are playing East apart from our U-13 who are Prem 1. So why just our U-16 Hurling team playing North. Also we were not consulted on this.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 pm

East/North is not relevant. You are too hung up on the names of the groups. My club are in the same boat. Call Na Martra are east also. It is practically in Kerry - as 'un-East' as you can get.

As far as being consulted about it, of course it would be nice. Ideal in fact. However, there is a grading committee in place and they must make choices based on submissions as best they can. They will of course make some mistakes. It was extremely difficult to get gradings right under the old divisional system. I can remember a case a few years ago, where Barrs first team were in the same hurling league as Ballyphehane, Whitechurch and Mayfield. Teams from all different strata of the Gaa caste system flung together because of the imposed geographic limits. Naturally, that league had some farcical games.

Now we are moving toward removing these barriers. We have Rebel Og central. This is for the whole county. There are three separate sections (which probably should be renamed to prevent a malaise of hysteria) also.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 pm

http://rebelog.ie/news-detail/10019845/
On Sunday morning Cork will send four different teams to Abbotstown to participate in a one day tournament.
Teams along with their mentors and GDA Sean Crowley.
Cork's four teams will be made up of players from Cork City, Cork North, Cork East and Cork West. Each player will represent the area that they are from.
The games will commence at 12 noon with three teams in a group. Two Cork teams and a team from Dublin.
The top team in each group will go direct to the 'Cup' final and the runners up will play in a shield final at 3.30pm.
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 am

Spongebob wrote:East/North is not relevant. You are too hung up on the names of the groups. My club are in the same boat. Call Na Martra are east also. It is practically in Kerry - as 'un-East' as you can get.

as you say, it doesn't make much of a difference. Cill na Martra are in the east. Canovee are in the west, having to go to Urhan for minor football.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Corkhurlinglove wrote:http://rebelog.ie/news-detail/10019845/
On Sunday morning Cork will send four different teams to Abbotstown to participate in a one day tournament.
Teams along with their mentors and GDA Sean Crowley.
Cork's four teams will be made up of players from Cork City, Cork North, Cork East and Cork West. Each player will represent the area that they are from.
The games will commence at 12 noon with three teams in a group. Two Cork teams and a team from Dublin.
The top team in each group will go direct to the 'Cup' final and the runners up will play in a shield final at 3.30pm.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”