GAA Books

Podsy

Re: GAA Books

Postby Podsy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:17 am

Dorcha wrote:What was The Bloodied Field about Podsy? I don't think I've heard of that one.

Dorcha,

It's the build-up to and the day of Bloody Sunday by Michael Foley. Impeccably researched and superbly written. He's a fine writer.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:17 am

Dorcha wrote:Thanks for all the verdicts. I would be the sort of person who would be swayed by book reviews a lot. Any negative remarks about a book and I leave it be. On that score I will be avoiding Tomas!

Anything I have read on the various sites about Cody’s book has been bad, so I never even considered buying it.

“Last man standing” was a clever book, particularly as the last man turned out to be Donal Og! Good bit of insight into how inter-county players react with each other, such as the Galway goalkeeper of the time phoning Donal Og about short puck-outs!

I very much regret that I never bought Justin’s book. Over the years, and on various sites, again, I’ve heard nothing but praise of it.

I agree with you, Sinbin, that most sports autobiographies aren’t very good. Davy Fitz’s “Pride and Passion” is the only sports book I ever gave away (wish I hadn’t, now, really!); it’s main defect was that it was too narcissistic. He never mentioned that he had been bullied in school.

I really must go back to the library one of those days. Even if a book isn’t there, they will get it for you - just as long as it’s still in print! It was there I found Jack O’Connor’s book which people on Rebel GAA had recommended. Perhaps I’ll find Jim McGuinness.

At the risk of being excommunicated on here, would agree that Jack O'Connor's book ( the first one!) was also an interesting read.

A lot depends on the ability of the writer/ghost to articulate a good story and to capture the personality and spirit of the protagonist. Most books fail on the basis that there really wasn't that interesting a story in the first place that not even the greatest of scribes could embellish.

I guess another factor is that in the past we didn't know a whole lot about the real individual behind the hurley/football and any such book was interesting in revealing some insight into what made a guy tick. Nowadays, with saturation media coverage, interviews and players baring their souls on social media we know everything about them...their diet, taste in music, soccer team they support etc and a whole lot of superfluous stuff we really don't need to know. So, buying a book to read more of the same is no longer really of much interest to the average supporter.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:43 am

Dorcha wrote:What was The Bloodied Field about Podsy? I don't think I've heard of that one.

Bloody Sunday in Croker.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:45 am

Couchpotato wrote:John Leonard 9/10

O Se tells us nothing. Cute kerry hoorism at its finest.
Cummins and Shefflin no real depth either.
Leonards by far the best.

Have to agree about Leonard. Brutally honest and he goes to some very dark places.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks, Podsy, CHL. I've gone and googled it now. It's another one I'll look to read when I get hold of it.
breweryboy

Postby breweryboy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:03 pm

agree on Tomas O'Se's book. Hugely disappointing - a complete waste of money and time reading it.
McGuinness's book is excellent alright, well worth a read. I read Rory Kavanagh's book soon afterwards, and I thought it was very good as well. Similar insights into Donegal's approach as McGuinness's book but still an honest account eg about their games with Monagahan and Mayo, enjoyed it.
Just about to start 'Relentless' so looking forward to that. Watched the Laochra Gael programme on TG4 on Juliet Murphy - an amazing bunch, such a credit to our county.

A
DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:01 am

Oisin McConville's was a very good read.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:10 pm

There was a review of Kieran Donaghy’s book “What do You Think Of That?” in tonight’s Evening Echo.

Is he unhinged? Even in his basketball days with the Tralee Tygers “He always tore into UCC Demons’ Shane Coughlan and Niall O’Reilly” and he enjoyed goading the Demons’ support.

“For my whole career Cork have been a constant, a constant measure of where we were, a constant enemy. You could never befriend a Cork player the way you could one from Galway or Donegal, or even Tyrone.”

“Pearse O’Neill and myself hit it off well in those days with the Underdogs, but once we both broke into our respective county teams, there was no point in maintaining a friendship, when at least three times a year we’d be going to war with each other. That’s the difference between Cork and Kerry and every other rivalry in the GAA - there’s no avoiding them.”

And he feels upset when they do.

(Last year) “When the lads told me it was over and that Tipp had won, my immediate response was F*** ye anyway, Cork.”

Is that sort of obsession normal?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:18 am

Maybe it's why they own us
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:55 am

Kerry fellas are obsessed with Cork, and likewise I suppose. Dara O'Sé on Wednesdays, he could be talking about a quarter final or something totally unrelated to us and he'd manage to shoehorn in something about Cork every time. The fact that I'm looking out for it too maybe says something too :lol:

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”