GAA Books

tipp-ex

Re: GAA Books

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Didn't know where to put this but here goes

I cant seem to find the Cork GAA app on Android Play Store. Any ideas?
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 am

I had it at one stage but it was totally crap and not kept up-to-date. They probably just got rid of it.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 am

The Choice
by Philly McMahon
with Niall Kelly
Publisher: Gill Books

This was published last year, but just the other day someone gave it to me to read.

Generally I read books by GAA personalities to gain an insight into the GAA and its workings, its teams and the relationship of the players to them and to their managers, both inter-county and club. The personal lives of the individuals are not my cup of tea, but tastes differ, and I thought I'd do a review of it for those who might be interested.

McMahon was born in Ballymun, and into all the stigma associated with that place which had been built simply to house a lot of people as a quick fix solution without any thought of amenities. His oldest brother became a drug addict and died at the age of 31 (although not from an overdose). In his early days, he went by his mother's name of Caffrey (his parents not being married), but later felt compelled - for reasons which he explains in the book - to change it to his father's name of McMahon. One of those things which made him stand out from the rest of the community was that he was one of those rare people who never took to alcohol.

He is a smart man. He learned more from other people's mistakes than his own. In his twenties he redid his leaving cert to gain enough points to go to university and with dedication and a little luck became a conditioning and strength instructor, gaining enough clients to eventually run three gyms in the city.

Given that the selling point of the book is that he is a well-know GAA personality, the GAA surprisingly does not feature very prominently in the book. The only matches he describes in any detail (and then not a lot), are the matches played by his club Ballymun Kickhams during the 2012-2013 season on their way to winning the Dublin county title and later the Leinster club title, before losing out to St Bridget's in the All Ireland final.

I was disappointed to find that he thinks sledging is part of the psychology of the game and accepts it as long as it doesn't pass certain barriers he sets.

When he was trying to get back on the Dublin panel in 2013 after Ballymun had completed their season with that loss to St Bridget's, he needed to eat the appropriate food to get himself properly tuned up again. He didn't have time to cook it himself, so he hired a chef to do it for him, and out of that developed a fitness food take away business.

People who think sports books are much of a muchness might find something else in this, concentrating as it does to such a degree on drug addition, on solutions proposed and what has been done, including the author's own plans.

If I was to put this book in a category, it is basically a Poor Boy Done Good story.

I see in the papers recently that Sinn Fein is considering asking him to run as their candidate in the next General Election. I think I'll keep an eye on that one..
bronxrebe;

Postby bronxrebe; » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Does anyone give Clare much of a chance today?
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 am

The puss on him.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Lurker wrote:The puss on him.

Trying to do the Roy Keane stare, I presume.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Just....why??
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Sinbin wrote:Just....why??

I think poor Davy fancies himself as a hard man.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”