GAA Books

Lurker

Re: GAA Books

Postby Lurker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:50 am

Dorcha wrote:I got hold of Justin McCarthy’s book at last and just finished reading it.

I love your book reviews, Dorcha.

'Hooked'... what a brilliant name for a hurling book.

I've never particularly liked Tipp to be honest, albeit you can only admire some of the hurlers they've produced and they've generally played an attractive style in my time watching. I think that's why there's an almost 'snobby' affection for them in the city, "at least they're natural hurlers", kind of talk, which is probably a dig at your Waterford & Clare upstarts more than any genuine love for the Premier :D And of course in more recent times they've been the best bet to stall Kilkenny's dominance, we probably owe them one for preventing the five in-a-row (should have prevented the four in-a-row truth be told, but one of our own shafted them).

If anything, in recent times, Tipp have been a bit soft, that yellow streak across their jersey shining brightly when teams tear into them. They're the great underachievers really over the past 10-15 years I think. Sheedy could change that again.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am

Its a good few years since I read 'Hooked ' but it still stands out in my mind as probably the best hurling book I ever read.

My recollections of the book are the wonderful & deep insights Justin gave in relation to hurling in general, hurling skills, tactics, Cork, and life in general. Always meant to read it again but no idea where my original copy is gone to.

Always felt too that in his coaching prime Justin was a huge loss to Cork, for whatever reasons, in the 90's & 00's.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:19 pm

Going back to the Davy Fitzgerald's book, "At all costs", I'm waiting for the price to drop before buying a copy. 22,99 is a bit pricey for me, and I am waiting for the price to drop. In the meantime, I went to look on Amazon for a cheaper copy and found several there, also a very excellent review by one reader, as follows -

"I wish to stress that I am totally neutral when it comes to Davy Fitz, and not being from Clare allows me to read the book as I see it. I consider it to be a superb read. He gives his side of the story on almost every controversial matter that has arisen since his last book in 2005.

Bearing in mind that this is his side of the story, and that I am neutral, it certainly made excellent reading. I am sure that non-neutrals will have their own views on each episode discussed in the book but as a read for an outsider it was fantastic. A number of people come under scrutiny in the book, and Davy being Davy does not shy back. Within both Clare and Waterford and perhaps even Sixmilebridge, there are personalities that might not warmly welcome the book as a Christmas present, but if Davy sought to get matters off his chest, then he has succeeded."

Makes me want to read it, but I think I'll check the local price again, first.
DowchaBhoy!

Postby DowchaBhoy! » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Reading Jimmy Doyle's The Boy Wonder atm

A couple of pts
- played minor for 4 yrs with Tipp winning 3 All Irelands
- whilst in primary school he was promoted to the secondary school to play Harty Cup
- he was dyslexic and never took part in class work in school but was handed a few papers to read in the morning
- played senior with Tipp when U -17
- was Tipp minor captain in his last yr underage but wasnt allowed to play by the senior selectors but Cork were giving Tipp a good beating in the Munster final and he came in during the 2nd half and turned the game in Tipps favour.
- trained obsessively in Semple Stadium as a boy
- idolised Ring
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 pm

DowchaBhoy! wrote:Reading Jimmy Doyle's The Boy Wonder atm

A couple of pts
- whilst in primary school he was promoted to the secondary school to play Harty Cup
- he was dyslexic and never took part in class work in school but was handed a few papers to read in the morning
- was Tipp minor captain in his last yr underage but wasnt allowed to play by the senior selectors but Cork were giving Tipp a good beating in the Munster final and he came in during the 2nd half and turned the game in Tipps favour.
- idolised Ring

I checked it up on Amazon. Still pretty pricey at 29.99! I see Diarmuid O'Flynn was the ghost writer. I haven't heard any news of Diarmuid since those Bank Debt protests.

Thanks for posting up. I'll put it on my list.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 pm

A couple of pts
- idolised Ring

Is it a good book, Dowcha?
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Dorcha wrote:

A couple of pts
- idolised Ring

I checked it up on Amazon. Still pretty pricey at 29.99! I see Diarmuid O'Flynn was the ghost writer. I haven't heard any news of Diarmuid since those Bank Debt protests.

Thanks for posting up. I'll put it on my list.

True, he's gone very quiet. Nice writer, had his own style. That sounds like damning with feint praise, but it's not. I always enjoyed his pieces.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:55 pm

A couple of pts
- idolised Ring

Sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than another dose of Davy Fitz. I mean is there anything we don't know, or would want to know, about Davy at this stage?

Whereas the likes of the legend of Jimmy Doyle could be easily lost to the younger generations ( I include myself in that and I'm young enough to have seen our last 3 in a row!)
DowchaBhoy!

Postby DowchaBhoy! » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Podsy wrote:

A couple of pts
- idolised Ring

Is it a good book, Dowcha?

If you have an interest in Ring and hurling in general its fascinating look into the character of a genius. Doyle was utterly obsessed with hurling probably to the detriment to other parts of his life.

Cant understand anyone buying books when the local library is free. I order the books on the library country wide online catalogue and have them sent into my local library and get text telling me to collect them.

Two other books I liked where Brendan Cummin's autobiography and Jackie Tyrell's honest account of KK. Tony Doran and Billy Rackard's books are great look back a past era. Most GAA books tend to utter scutter tbh.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 am

DowchaBhoy! wrote:Cant understand anyone buying books when the local library is free. I order the books on the library country wide online catalogue and have them sent into my local library and get text telling me to collect them.

My local Library was never free. You always had to pay a yearly membership fee - and that's going back over sixty years!

Besides I always like to have the books at hand for reference!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”