Cork Ladies Football

Dorcha

Re: Cork Ladies Football

Postby Dorcha » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks for the eye-witness accounts, fellows.

I have an interest in it, because my brother used to referee ladies football club games back in the early days of the sport in Cork, and I once got roped in as an umpire!
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Lurker wrote:
langerinexile wrote:Thought the officials had a few boo-boos, they missed in the lead up to a 45 that a Dublin player handled the ball on the ground, 45 lead to a point (but perhaps after 2016 we should let this one go).

Aren't the ladies allowed handle the ball on the ground?

I watched it on Eir Sport & agree completely with your analysis. Dublin had eleven of the side that started the All Ireland final, whereas we were more experimental, so I think we can be reasonably satisfied with our night's work. The defence looked very open alright but we looked the fitter team as the game went on, as we always have done against Dublin in Croke Park.

Have they done away with the hooter? The referee played injury time in the first half (in which Dublin scored a point) and blew up fifteen seconds from the end of full time. Maybe it was the Eir Sport clock that was out of sync?

The Ladies are allowed to pick the ball off the ground but as far as I am aware (and I welcome correction on this) you can't play the ball on the ground which is what happened here.

there was no hooter in the ground and the stadium screens showed the time elapsed in the game as opposed to a countdown. Which is pity if it has been done away with, I always thought the Ladies Football were ahead of the curve on this one and should be adopted by the mens' games (always wonder about the hurling in 2013 if the time keeping was done like this!)
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

langerinexile wrote:The Ladies are allowed to pick the ball off the ground but as far as I am aware (and I welcome correction on this) you can't play the ball on the ground which is what happened here.

I consulted the rule book here - http://ladiesgaelic.ie/club/playing-rules/

PLAYING RULES
1. A player may pick the ball off the ground with the toe,
or with one or both hands, providing she is in standing position.
2. A player while on the ground may play the ball away from her, but cannot bring it into her possession.

I never knew they weren't allowed to shower either!
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Lurker wrote:
langerinexile wrote:The Ladies are allowed to pick the ball off the ground but as far as I am aware (and I welcome correction on this) you can't play the ball on the ground which is what happened here.

I consulted the rule book here - http://ladiesgaelic.ie/club/playing-rules/

PLAYING RULES
1. A player may pick the ball off the ground with the toe,
or with one or both hands, providing she is in standing position.
2. A player while on the ground may play the ball away from her, but cannot bring it into her possession.

I never knew they weren't allowed to shower either!

Cheers Lurker
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Oops, I meant 'shoulder', not 'shower'. :D
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Division 1, Round 4
Cork 2-13; Westmeath 1-6
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Mon May 21, 2018 2:34 pm

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0521/ ... m=facebook

The greatest of them all steps down from Inter-County.

Laoch.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Indeed. A happy retirement to her.
redinsf

Postby redinsf » Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Podsy wrote:https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0521/965045-rena-buckley-calls-time-on-stunning-cork-career/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The greatest of them all steps down from Inter-County.

Laoch.

What a truly astonishing career she had. She was guest of honour at the GAA dinner here in San Francisco and I was struck by her gentle, unassuming nature.
An absolutely brilliant ambassador for Cork. Her victory speech last year, delivered exclusively in Irish, is one of the more memorable ones we have heard in Croke Park.
The very best of luck in future endeavours Rena, you were and are a shining star.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”