Cork Ladies Football

donal66

Re: Cork Ladies Football

Postby donal66 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 am

Breige Corkery badly missed
RebelRising

Postby RebelRising » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 am

Well this was waiting to happen with the current team...agree midfield a huge loss without corkery....think a few a been carried in this team...coppinger, farmer, o shea, cotter, duggan, meaney not a 6.

Did well to stay in the game, but serious decline in pace in last quarter and very narrow in their play.
The striking thing for me was taking a player off and reintroducing her sends an awful message to the girls on bench been developed. I think he may have lost the dressing room right there.

A bit of building to do looking further a field in the county needed with a plan over 5yrs to include fixing the decline at under age as well.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 am

Ladies Football semi-final

Mayo 3-11 Cork 0-18

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0902/901791-mayo-beat-cork/

While the goals did it, I felt Cork took too much out of the ball at times, running into unnecessary trouble through over passing instead of taking on the shot when the chance presented itself.

In fairness Cora Staunton showed how to do it by shooting on sight and not thinking twice about it.

With this particular monkey off their backs, I expect Cork to learn from this defeat today and come back stronger next season.

I hope Mayo go on to win it now. Like their male counterparts, it must have been frustrating at times over the past few years to be so close with no reward.
RebelRising

Postby RebelRising » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Big ask tomorrow in knocknagoshel....big ask this year with a few still hanging around the team. Big plus with Beatrice casey at 6, well deserved call up..... other players out there with 6 all Ireland medals in pocket (U14, U16, minor)still waiting for call up..... let's hope he makes that transition soon.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Big win for Cork over Kerry in the league.

Lidl National Football League Division 1 Round 1

Kerry 0-9 Cork 2-17

http://www.hoganstand.com/Kilkenny/Article/Index/280461
RebelRising

Postby RebelRising » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 pm

Good win but wouldnt read too much in January. Good display by Finn again.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Ladies Football League 2018

Division 1, Round 2

Cork 4-14; Monaghan 1-7

Keep it up, girls.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Division 1, Round 3,

Dublin 3-9; Cork 1-14

Hard luck, Cork. It was certainly the goals which won this one.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/281085
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Headed over to Croker on Saturday with the young fella to see the game.

Cork started very well and thought we might beat them out the gap, Cork missed a few goal chances before Dublin found the net themselves and they (Dublin) were in the driving seat them, at one stage, we looked like shipping a hammering but the team rallied to be fair, had the game gone on for another 5 minutes then Cork would have probably won, Dublin failed to register a score in the last 10/15 minutes.

Thought the officials had a few boo-boos, they missed in the lead up to a 45 that a Dublin player handled the ball on the ground, 45 lead to a point (but perhaps after 2016 we should let this one go). Also the ref blew Martina O'Brien up for playing a free backwards thinking it was a kick out, small error maybe when the keeper is taking a free but he was the one that awarded it in the first place. He did to be fair realise his mistake but it did cost Cork.

It was an entertaining game of football and delighted that Eir Sports are following TG4's lead in giving the game more exposure.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 pm

langerinexile wrote:Thought the officials had a few boo-boos, they missed in the lead up to a 45 that a Dublin player handled the ball on the ground, 45 lead to a point (but perhaps after 2016 we should let this one go).

Aren't the ladies allowed handle the ball on the ground?

I watched it on Eir Sport & agree completely with your analysis. Dublin had eleven of the side that started the All Ireland final, whereas we were more experimental, so I think we can be reasonably satisfied with our night's work. The defence looked very open alright but we looked the fitter team as the game went on, as we always have done against Dublin in Croke Park.

Have they done away with the hooter? The referee played injury time in the first half (in which Dublin scored a point) and blew up fifteen seconds from the end of full time. Maybe it was the Eir Sport clock that was out of sync?

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”