Other GAA

Ranty

Re: Other GAA

Postby Ranty » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 am

tipp-ex wrote:Some ending to the St Lomans v Moorefield game

Amazing stuff. End to end. NO referee. Back to the good old tribal stuff when they kicked the sh1te out of each other
from one end of the parish to the other end. No wonder rugby and soccer are flourishing on this fair isle.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Did you enjoy the game then Ranty?
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 am

Spongebob wrote:Did you enjoy the game then Ranty?

That's a very good question Sponge.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:51 pm

As the year draws to a close this is an attempt to beat the bookmakers and predict how the 2018 hurling and football championships will pan out...
Early in the new year, as concerns grow about having to play 4 matches in 5 weeks, the Cork hurling panel continues to expand with more names from the past being added. Having shown good footwork in finishing runner-up on Dancing with the Stars, Tomas O Leary is the latest recruit.
Rumours of discontent among the players with training methods are quickly dispelled when Dancing with the Stars winner, Anna Geary, is also added to the set-up as Yoga Instructor. The mood in the panel is said to have lifted instantly.
After a torturous campaign Cork reach the Munster final but only a handful of the panel are now left standing. The County Board introduces conscription and numerous veteran players are brought out of retirement.
The final, against Tipp, is fixed for Thurles but under a directive from new GAA Director General, Michael O' Leary, it is actually played 9 miles away in Templemore. A tight contest is eventually decided when Gerald McCarthy instinctively pulls overhead on a looping Sean Og O h-Ailpin handpass and JBM finishes the ball to the net. From the premium section in Heaven the departed legends of Cork hurling look on approvingly. "It's high time Cork hurling moves forward together," they agree.
The Munster campaign has taken a severe toll though, and the panel is decimated. A visibly shaken Frank announces that the only option left is to give hurleys to the football team and let them play Galway in the semi-final.
The footballers who have surprisingly reached their own semi-final are withdrawn from the race for Sam, giving Dublin a bye to the final. On hearing this news Jim Gavin coolly states, " It's all part of the process". Meanwhile after 5 replays Mayo see off Kerry by a point in the other semi.
Even though the final is fixed for Croke Park Michael O' Leary orders that it is played 40 miles away in Navan as small, low-cost, provincial venues that are rarely used are the way to go. In a flash sale tickets for the final are sold at €4.99 each which horrifies the GAA hierarchy but O' Leary re-assures them that with add-ons they will eventually cost more than €500 each.
On the day of the final, not knowing where Navan, is the Dublin team gets lost and ends up in the Wicklow Mountains. Minutes before throw-in a Dublin 15 is hastily picked from the crowd present. Following numerous Mayo own-goals and red cards Dublin actually lead at half-time. Colm O' Rourke states, " This is further proof that Dublin needs to be split into at least 100 teams".
However, in the second half an Aidan O' Shea tour-de-force inspires a Mayo comeback and Sam is finally heading west amid ecstatic scenes of sheep, cow and car-painting.
Bernard Flynn chases O' Shea around Navan looking for a selfie.
Joe Brolly claims, " Anyone with an understanding of football could foretell the inevitability of this Mayo team winning Sam. Och, it was self-evident all along, an immutable fact".
Pat Spillane claims," It is actually a victory for Kerry football as the influence of Donie Buckley is obvious all over the field".
However, the joy of the nation turns to shock that night when the Sunday Game begins with Michael Lyster broadcasting from the winners' hotel. While Jack McCaffrey does handstands and somersaults in the background Lyster explains that a after the game it was discovered that a Mayo player had a slight asthma attack at half-time and not wanting to use his inhaler he instead covered himself from head to toe in Vick. Unfortunately the player was unaware that Vick also contains a banned substance and so Sam was now being awarded to Dublin.
Jim Gavin coolly states, "It's all part of the process." Gavin is later seen in celebratory mood having an extra custard cream with his tea.
Bernard Flynn immediately blames Aidan O Shea for the loss claiming he spends too much time taking selfies. Joe Brolly claims, " Anyone with an understanding of football could foretell the inevitability of this Mayo team not winning Sam. Och, it was self-evident all along, an immutable fact".
Pat Spillane claims," This was actually a victory for Kerry football as we ran Mayo closer than Dublin did." Colm O' Rourke cries.
The GPA threatens a player strike over the harsh way Mayo are treated but Michael O' Leary immediately disbands them and the CPA, saying he is fed up with unions, much to the delight of the GAA hierarchy. Colm O' Rourke cheers up.
Meanwhile after a Ciaran Sheehan inspired performance the Cork footballers dethrone Galway in the hurling semi-final. Thankfully, after weeks spent in cryotherapy chambers most of the hurlers have recovered from the Munster campaign and along with some veterans of the 3-in-a-row team they defeat Wexford in the final thanks to a goal from Seanie Leary.
This win, along with events in the Pairc like an open-air Mass celebrated by the Pope and a sell-out concert by the Wolfe Tones make Frank believe that the glory days of the 1970's have returned. As "The Banks" rings out on Pana he duly announces he is postponing his retirement for another 40 years!
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:54 am

Jasus Maurice, you have some imagination.
And here was me thinking you would find alternatives to Dublin and Galway.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:55 am

Ranty wrote:Jasus Maurice, you have some imagination.
And here was me thinking you would find alternatives to Dublin and Galway.

I had too much of the sherry trifle Ranty. Drove me pure daft!
Cadogan going hurling was what started me off and this talk of so many games coming together. If our footballers do get their act together and come through the super 8's they will have 4 games in a short time too. I feel an injury-free Cadogan would have more to offer the footballers at this stage but the footballers lose out again. Anyway best of luck to him. In Jackie Tyrell's book he gives great praise to Cadogan who he won a fitzgibbon with in 2007. He said he is in regular contact with him and he feels the best is yet to come for him. He must have had an idea that Cadogan was going back hurling before the book went to print.
As regards Michael O' Leary becoming Director General, I believe for the first time ever a business qualification is a requirement for the role. It shows the reality of sport in the 21st century. Money is playing a bigger and bigger part.
Finally, a Mayo man said to me in September "I'm not sure if Dublin are the greatest team ever but I think they might be the luckiest because they've beaten us in 3 finals and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot"
As for my real predictions for 2018..... I haven't a clue.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:33 pm

My prediction(s) for 2018, having thought long and hard about this over Christmas are as follows.
1.....Dublin, Kerry and Mayo will spend about €2 million each in search of Sam.
2.....Cork will spend more than that in search of the impossible double.
3.....Galway will spend about €1 million and have a reasonable chance of doing the double.
4.... Wouldn't surprise me if Croke Park appointed a woman to replace Duffy
5.... Referees will continue to drive us all nuts.
6.....Attendances will continue to drop except for the big ones in Croker.
7.... The SKY analysis and commentary will be just as boring and nonsensical as last year.
8.....We will have to suffer Spillane again on RTE, but at least we can detest that fecker with his Kerry jersey inside the Sunday shirt.
9....Brolly will continue to be judge and jury and O Rourke will again wear his smug smile as he gets the two jack russels 'at it'.
10.. Once again our girls will give us a reason to be proud of the jersey even if Rena retires.

Last but not least I don't give a fiddlers who wins Sam as long as 'them hoors' don't. :D
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Great stuff, Maurice and Ranty. The two of you are like a tonic after the sludge of Christmas!
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Michael Fennelly retired. Only the 8 All Ireland's for him. Was a great midfielder
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Ranty wrote:My prediction(s) for 2018, having thought long and hard about this over Christmas are as follows.
1.....Dublin, Kerry and Mayo will spend about €2 million each in search of Sam.
2.....Cork will spend more than that in search of the impossible double.
3.....Galway will spend about €1 million and have a reasonable chance of doing the double.
4.... Wouldn't surprise me if Croke Park appointed a woman to replace Duffy
5.... Referees will continue to drive us all nuts.
6.....Attendances will continue to drop except for the big ones in Croker.
7.... The SKY analysis and commentary will be just as boring and nonsensical as last year.
8.....We will have to suffer Spillane again on RTE, but at least we can detest that fecker with his Kerry jersey inside the Sunday shirt.
9....Brolly will continue to be judge and jury and O Rourke will again wear his smug smile as he gets the two jack russels 'at it'.
10.. Once again our girls will give us a reason to be proud of the jersey even if Rena retires.

Last but not least I don't give a fiddlers who wins Sam as long as 'them hoors' don't. :D

Very good. Agree with all them.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”