Other GAA

tipp-ex

Re: Other GAA

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Spongebob wrote:Most Dubs that I work with, should read this forum. They would love it. They too utterly despise Dublin team, every GAA team in fact. They think the whole thing is just for uncouth culchies. Give them Cyrus Christie, Jon Walters, Dricko every day of the week.

Thankfully for them, Rte, the Indo and Times won't be poisoning them with anymore bog all for the rest of the year. The serious business of premiership begins in earnest.

Jaysus, what kinda place do you work in?
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:08 pm

A bank. In Cork but in contact with Dublin team daily.
I should say that the people in Cork don't have much love for Gaelic games either but might engage in conversation two or three times a year.

Most people refer to 'we' as being Man Utd or Liverpool.

My Dublin colleagues openly despise it. It is not unusual if you read Eamon Dunphy talk about the likes of Liam Brady or John Giles or anything that Brian Kerr, Richard Sadler, Roddy Doyle might say
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 am

If it's not the stench of filthy lucre and financial doping that follows this Dublin team around like a bad smell, it's the spectre of eye-gouging and biting that they are similarly almost uniquely associated with. Eoin O'Gara, who has all the look and bearing and menace of a common Dublin street thug, at it for them yesterday again to cement his place in the rogue's gallery. Not the first time he's been associated with eye-gouging either and James McCarthy and Philly McMahon have been involved in it before too. Will anything be done about it? Like f*** it will.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am

Twohands wrote:I have a lot of respect for this Dublin team. They generally play great football and the ones I've met are sound lads. But I think to say they were the better team today and that the ref didn't influence it is pushing it a bit. O Gara gouged a player after a free was awarded against him and didn't even get booked. Vaughan stupidly ran into Small's back (in the same way most subs do when they come on the pitch) and got a straight red. O shea should have been black carded at the start of the second half for a pull down. Dublin players were hand tripping during the first half.

People are questioning Mayo's bottle but they needed to be six or seven points better than Dublin to win by a point today.

For the love of God, he 'clotheslined' a guy straight in front of the ref, where are you getting this 'he ran into Small's back' from?? It was the most nailed on straight red you will ever see in your life. Look at Roachford's reaction behind Vaughan as it happened.
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 am

Corcaigh Abú wrote: O'Gara, who has all the look and bearing and menace of a common Dublin street thug,

As an exile, in the home of the Sam Maguire, I have as a result of being active in a club in these parts met O'Gara at medal presentations for the underage section, himself and Kevin McManamon have always without fail turned up for these things and always been great with the kids and stayed long after the time that they were asked to show for. I certainly wouldn't describe the guy as a thug.

That said his actions yesterday were without a doubt worthy of a red card and I certainly won't defend him on that.

Dublin certainly seemed to get every break going yesterday. You would have to have a heart of stone not to feel sorry for Mayo at this stage. I used to always compare them with our 2010 side but while I and many here think 'ifs and buts' that our side could have had more I ask how many in Mayo would settle for one at this stage. Sport can be cruel and this Mayo side has gotten more than it's fair share. As I said to a Dub last night, it could get worse for them too, How so? said my friend, I said picture the scene 12 months from now, Mayo having beaten Dublin in the semi (that's where they could/should clash next year) face Kerry (the 3rd best side in the country) and 'well' I said, 'you know the rest', 'Yeah' he said 'that'd be typical alright wouldn't it'
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am

langerinexile wrote:
Corcaigh Abú wrote: O'Gara, who has all the look and bearing and menace of a common Dublin street thug,

I certainly wouldn't describe the guy as a thug.

'

I would. O'Gara has form in this, remember another eyegouging incident against Meath in Croke Park a couple of years ago . No team has been associated with possibly the two most disgusting things that can be done on a pitch - eyegouging and biting - as this Dublin team. Their fans see nothing wrong with eyegouging and biting of course , sure they've probably been raised with it. But pull on Connolly's jersey or try to put Rock off his frees and it's the worst crime since the Holocaust.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 pm

It was scumbaggery but it wasn't a gouge - no way. It was a closed fist in nose and gob.

Ref was under pressure to "let it flow" and use common sense. He ended up leaving blatant pushing a shoving go. Then when he does blow something up players get frustrated because he's let 5 of the same thing go and now he's picking on me.

Forget common sense and letting it flow. Apply the rules
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Common sense and referees are moving further apart every year.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Oisin McConville losing the run of himself re Diarmuid Connolly being the best Gaelic Footballer "on the planet" in today's Examiner. Like what exactly did he do yesterday to merit this accolade? All I remember was he throwing himself to the ground for the winning free
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm

It's laughable to describe this Dublin team as one of the greatest of all time. They have these advantages over everyone else:
Never have to play a championship game outside of Croke Park and get ten times the funding of every other county. Get a grip people.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”