Other GAA

jbm1

Re: Other GAA

Postby jbm1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Leesider, they played in Portlaoise V Carlow....To be fair, the Dubs never have any difficulty
travelling to another venue outside the Capital...1983 as an example.
5 All Ireland in 7 years..Well if that's not a magnificent achievement, I don't know what is.
The great Kerry Team had only 2 games to play and 3 when they were meeting the Leinster Champions every third year.
I know you cant stand the Dubs, but we spent €85 million on a f.ing white elephant..Have they spent that sort of money.
They have in their holes..It's you should be getting a grip!!!
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 am

jbm1 wrote:Leesider, they played in Portlaoise V Carlow....To be fair, the Dubs never have any difficulty
travelling to another venue outside the Capital...1983 as an example.
5 All Ireland in 7 years..Well if that's not a magnificent achievement, I don't know what is.
The great Kerry Team had only 2 games to play and 3 when they were meeting the Leinster Champions every third year.
I know you cant stand the Dubs, but we spent €85 million on a f.ing white elephant..Have they spent that sort of money.
They have in their holes..It's you should be getting a grip!!!

They never had to spend €85 million becuase the GAA/government spent far more than €85 million on a de facto homeground for them called Croke Park. They even built them a €12m centre of excellence in Abbotstown (with valuable land also given free by Joe Public) which they are careful not to use too much presently to keep up the laughable pretnce of it being a 'national' facility. Going once every few years outside Dublin to play a onesided glorified challenge game against some jokeshop Leinster team ? Don't make me laugh. The current Leinster football championship is weaker than the Munster football championship not just now but probably even back in the 1980s too. When will we ever even see a Meath or Kildare win it again, let alone a Westmeath or Laois? Kerry, Kilkenny, us and everybody else never had access to the the AIG money, the Vodafone money or the public money diverted by Bertie Ahern. On top of that they get more money than any other county and in some cases more than the rest of the country combined from the GAA. The GAA have spent two decades trying to buy a hurling All Ireland for them (failing, thankfully)and a support base for Dublin hurlers (failing there too) whilst hurling is allowed to wither on the vine in traditional hurling areas and no great effort put into spreading in other non-traditional areas other than Dublin. This thing is out of control in football and they wanted to do the same in hurling and we are supposed to be delighted for them?
jbm1

Postby jbm1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

1) Is it their fault the Leinster Championship is a joke
2) Half the population now live in Dublin
3) Our own C.B had €18 million in the coffers, which they've blown away on a f.ing pitch
4) They hadn't won a AI from 95 to 2011 - These things come in cycles - They just have a very good group at present - I have no doubt they will fall sooner rather than later.
5) It isn't their fault that Vaughan had a rush of blood to the head
6) They got their house in order Corcaigh and fair play to them..We have a pitch which is still not open - Which CB would you like to have
7) I have no doubt, if we had the same vision as Dublin, we would be up there with them competing every year
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm

jbm1 wrote:1) Is it their fault the Leinster Championship is a joke
2) Half the population now live in Dublin
3) Our own C.B had €18 million in the coffers, which they've blown away on a f.ing pitch
4) They hadn't won a AI from 95 to 2011 - These things come in cycles - They just have a very good group at present - I have no doubt they will fall sooner rather than later.
5) It isn't their fault that Vaughan had a rush of blood to the head
6) They got their house in order Corcaigh and fair play to them..We have a pitch which is still not open - Which CB would you like to have
7) I have no doubt, if we had the same vision as Dublin, we would be up there with them competing every year

You referenced Kerry only having to win 2/3 games to win All Irelands back in the day. Dublin seemingly only have to play 1 or 2 to win it nowadays.

I don't think we should be looking at this just from a Cork perspective, but from a national one. The financial doping of Dublin which the GAA as a national body and the State through diversion of public funds have both been complicit in affects not just us but 30 other counties and so has nothing to do with management and administration at individual county level whether that be good, bad or indifferent. I'd blame Frank and his cronies for a lot but for Dublin's financial doping is stretching it.

I really don't think this is cyclical. Dublin don't have, or need, any all time greats in their ranks that all other counties - even Kerry- had to rely on to help them win All Irelands . But they probably have enough players to field 6 teams that would be in the top 10 in the country - a production line never seen before. Dubs always ,weakly,point out that Kerry and Kilkenny didn't get this attention when they were hoovering up All Irelands - completely ignoring the massive differences in population, infrastructure, economy and funding between Dublin and them. Thank Christ they haven't (yet) been able to do to hurling what they have done to football but they'll keep on trying to.

We've had a collection of Dublin parish-pumpers in government from Haughey and Ahern up to the present day Varadker and his sidekick Donohoe making Ireland one of the most capital-centralised economies in the wetern world. The current fella doesn't give a toss about GAA but neither does he give a toss about anything that happenss beyond the M50. But even this collection of parochial Dubcentrists didn't spend more PER CAPITA of State funds on Dublin than on any other county and in some cases more PER CAPITA than the rest of the country combined than the supposedly egalitarian organisation that is the GAA. Saying, erroneously, that half the country live in Dublin is a complete cop out. Might as well just say something as nonsensical like Dublin deserve the money more because they are Dubs. Whatever way you look at it, Dublin are getting a hugely unfair share of the pie from private, GAA and public funds. Something has to be done sooner rather than later.
leesider

Postby leesider » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Strange coincidence isn't it that Dublin's period of success has coincided with a huge investment of money in them by their buddies in Croke Park? I'm sure it's only a coincidence, all those All-Ireland's would have been won on the same budget that Louth have I am sure. The attitude seems to be:
1. We shouldn't say anything about the money because it's sour grapes or jealously.
2. OK they got loads of money from the GAA but boy did they spend it well so well done to them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By the way all the proud Corkmen coming on here posting defending Dublin Saint-Germain and praising them; why don't ye go off and support them instead so if ye think they are so great?
jbm1

Postby jbm1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Corcaigh & Lee
We got €30 mil from the Government and what the f. did we do with it.
I really don't care what Dublin do..All I'm interested is in Cork GAA and as Kevin O'Donovan correctly pointed out,
" Cork GAA has only scraped the surface of its potential". So, lets put our own house in order.
And the Dublin St German jibe, belittles the very fine men who won their 5th AI last Sunday...Most of these guys
are probably back at work today. They do it for the love of the game and not the money!!!
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Spent the grant money on what it was given for, what else were we to do with it? The only reason they gave it anyway is because we (Ireland) wouldn't get the Rugby World Cup in the first place if every game was played in Dublin. How much government money was given for Croke Park, Dublin's de facto home ground? Again, you are making this about Cork and the inadequacies of the county board when it is a national issue affecting 31 counties. We are all being cheated.
leesider

Postby leesider » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Wasn't going to bother replying but couldn't let this go

jbm1 wrote:Corcaigh & Lee
We got €30 mil from the Government and what the f. did we do with it.

We weren't allowed spend that €30 mill on player development, it was earmarked for the stadium.
jbm1 wrote:I really don't care what Dublin do..All I'm interested is in Cork GAA and as Kevin O'Donovan correctly pointed out,
" Cork GAA has only scraped the surface of its potential". So, lets put our own house in order.
And the Dublin St German jibe, belittles the very fine men who won their 5th AI last Sunday...Most of these guys
are probably back at work today. They do it for the love of the game and not the money!!!

Part-time work you mean.
Like I say, if you admire these "fine men" so much, go and buy a Dublin jersey and support them and don't bother with Cork . Most of their supporters can't stand us and constantly devalue our 2010 AI win. OK we only won one but at least we did it off our own backs.
exile67

Postby exile67 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:13 am

The Dublin players have had their three daily meals sent out to them by courier in recent months. This is but one facet of how their squad and their setup is pampered beyond any notion of what an amateur sport should be. It should be about a level-playing field. That is difficult to regulate but what we see with Dublin is extremely skewed with no other county able to compete. The be-all of the GAA top brass should not be the promience of our games in Dublin. It should be evenly spread throughout the country. Why, for example, is not more being done to counter rugby in Limerick, or Cork, as it is in Dublin? The GAA will batter the tradition of knockout competition in next year's football championship (hurling to follow soon after) and no September finals. All of the above is not good for our national sports.

Re the pampering of the Dublin team, how many of their players over the past six years could be singled out as "all-time greats" (accepting that reputations golden with the passing of time)? Any Sean Cavanagh or Tomas O'Se to mention two? Or a Jack O'Shea or Mikey Sheehy from a previous generation? I don't rate Gooch Cooper as an all-time great but his record is much better than Bernard Brogan. Dublin is a well-oiled and financed machine which with a sheer mass of numbers to call on (look at the bench) and the football poverty of its province means it needs to win only two matches per season to claim an AI. Tyrone or Kerry of the 2000s would hockey them.
jbm1

Postby jbm1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:34 am

My last post on this:

1) The Dublin team do not get their meals delivered to them..This is refuted time and time again
2) One could argue that the Kerry of the Noughties won their AIs' by default also, as they only bate Mayo & Cork in the finals..The greatest underachievers of them all
3) Its not Croke Park who should be sorting out Limerick or Cork..Its their County Boards...One also could argue that JP is bankrolling Limerick, like AIG in Dublin
4) Sometimes the sum of the parts are as successful as the one or two marquee players suggested in ye're previous posts
5) I'm letting this go now..Honestly, I really dont care about Dublin. All I want is Cork to be competing in both codes and winning..Let the rest of the other 30 counties worry about their houses!!!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”