Other GAA

Ranty

Re: Other GAA

Postby Ranty » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:57 pm

exile67 wrote:A quick and dirty (i.e. the No. 2 shirt) selection (based on following football since the late-1980s):

S. Cluxton (Dublin)

T. O'Sullivan (Kerry)
C. Deegan (Down)
K. Higgins (Mayo)

G. Ryan (Kildare)
K. McGeeney (Armagh)
M. O'Connell (Meath)

A. Tohill (Derry)
S. Cavanagh (Tyrone)

L. Tompkins (Cork)
E. O'Hara (Sligo)
P. Joyce (Galway)

M. Forde (Wexford)
M. Murphy (Donegal)
D. Browne (Tipp)

My team has four of your selections but not all in similar positions. Good shout though and fast off the mark too. Be interesting to see if we can get more of our regular posters to rack their bored brains while we wait for light at the end of the tunnel.
exile67

Postby exile67 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Ranty,

Not an all-time 15 as I would have been a garsun pre-mid 1980s and wouldn't have seen players before that on the field of play. So, for example, my father remembers another Sligo player from the 1970s as an all-time great (and a well-known ref to boot) but I couldn't comment. O'Hara was an immense player in his day, e.g. in the matches against Armagh in 2002 (the year the Orchard County won the AI) and scored a great goal with his left peg to set up Sligo in their Connacht victory a few years later by which stage he was past his best but still delivered when needed. On the basis that the best players rise to the occasion when the chips are down for their county, alas, I couldn't spare a spot for he whom Brolly deemed the greatest first-half footballer in the history of the GAA!
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Unfortunately or otherwise I can go back to the 60s and I agree with you on O Hara. He turned 'kinda' nasty at the end of his playing days
so I didn't include him. Did think about it though.
My No 11 is Greg Blaney from Down but would have put Tomkins there if I hadn't already picked a REAL Rebel further back the field.
I even thought of including Larry as a Kildare man but that would be stretching it a bit ?????
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:22 am

https://gaacork.ie/2020/04/18/cork-gaa-online-easter-camps-hailed-as-a-major-success/

Sounds like a good idea. anyone here with children young enough to take part in this? Any drawbacks?
breweryboy

Postby breweryboy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:07 pm

that's a tough one Ranty and a bit of craic. Here's my stab at it:

1. S Cluxton (Dublin)
2. Seamus Moynihan (that crowd)
3. Mick Lyons (Meath)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Glenn Ryan (Kildare)
6. K. McGeeney (Armagh)
7. Sean Og de Paor (Galway)
8. A. Tohill (Derry)
9. Dermot Earley (Roscommon)
10. Kevin O'Brien (Wicklow)
11. L. Tompkins (God's country)
12. Mickey Linden (Down)
13. Peter Canavan (Tyrone)
14. Michael Murphy (Donegal)
15. Matt Connor (Offaly)
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Couldn't argue too much with your team Brewery and I'm with you on 6 of your picks.
Here's my team to beat any team...lol

1. Cluxton Dublin ( Simply the best) Deprives Jack McCaffrey or Con O Callaghan of the Dublin spot)
2 Robbie O Malley Meath ( Would have picked Seamus Murphy 'That Crowd' only I think Clifford is a freak.
3 Neil McGee Donegal
4 Brian Murphy Cork ( Nemo just in case there's confusion with the Crosshaven/Bantry man)
5 Colin Walshe Monaghan
6 Kieran McGeeney Armagh
7 Sean Og De Paor Galway
8 Dermot Early Roscommon ( Jacko 'That crowd only for Clifford)
9 Anthony Tohill Derry ( Fenton if I cudda picked 2 Dubs)
10 Declan Browne Tipperary
11 Greg Blaney Down ( Larry would have this spot if he was a real rebel)
12 Sean Cavanagh Tyrone
13 David Clifford That Crowd lol ( Will probably take Cillian O Connors record if he's not shot)
14 Matt Connor Offaly ( I watch that 1982 final every chance I get LOL)
15 Cillian O Connor Mayo ( Top scorer of all time by miles. Had to pick him)
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun May 03, 2020 11:11 am

Ranty, I wouldn't even attempt this, way to hard for me.
However, I will point out that your wish at no 14 comes true today - Kerrys 5 in a row, I mean Offaly depriving Kerry of 5 in a row, RTE 2, 5pm
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun May 03, 2020 6:17 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Ranty, I wouldn't even attempt this, way to hard for me.
However, I will point out that your wish at no 14 comes true today - Kerrys 5 in a row, I mean Offaly depriving Kerry of 5 in a row, RTE 2, 5pm

Yerra g'wan Tipp. Won't it pass the time for you.
Am sending you a PM
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon May 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Ranty wrote:
tipp-ex wrote:Ranty, I wouldn't even attempt this, way to hard for me.

Yerra g'wan Tipp. Won't it pass the time for you.
Am sending you a PM

I didn't watch it this time, but I saw it a few times over the years and did Matt give the Kerry back a little push from behind as the ball was coming in. Technically it was a free out, but the referee missed it.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon May 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Course he did, guaranteed free out nowadays but we here don't care, Seamus Darby became the most famous man in Ireland (except Kerry) for a while cause of that push :lol:

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”