Cork Hurlers 2017

Dorcha

Re: Cork Hurlers 2017

Postby Dorcha » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Perhaps Pat Ryan for the same of a bit of continuity and he has plenty of experience with Sars.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:39 am

First, thanks to Kieran Kingston for his selfless devotion to a cause not many were queuing up to be associated with two years ago. He leaves a team in far better shape than he found it, although not as close to the cusp of All Ireland glory as some people would like to believe. He did all he could and had an excellent year this year both in terms of his handling of the team and his handling of the press.

The problem we face now is that even someone as dedicated and successful as him took a year to get really under the hood of the job. His opening salvo two years ago that we didn't care about the league was ill judged and he arguably was too faithful to players who weren't performing in that first year (although he didn't have too many options to replace them). He tried to adopt a sweeper system and it looked like the players either didn't understand it or weren't suited to it. This year he went for youth where he could, was more assured in his public statements and got the set up right on the pitch. Arguably his one mistake was in the reaction to the sending off in the semi final but that was a collective issue and another sign that sometimes you have to be given the time to learn. So with two years good learning and some important lessons under his belt (and a chorus of 'there was never anything wrong with Cork hurling' ringing in the background) he moves on. Now we end up back at square one again, albeit with a better panel than two years ago and more good young players on the horizon thanks to the work of the development squad system opposed by the top table for so many years.

This issue (if some reliable people are to be believed), the issues around the footballers having to raise funds outside the CCB, the stuff about rushing to appoint a football 'coach' rather than a manager, the ongoing failure to update the clubs about the spend on PUC, the appointment of one of the gang to the stadium director's position at a time when the stadium doesn't seem to be as advanced as it should be all strongly hint of deeper problems. Thank God it's such a democratic organisation that the answers are only a delegate's question away. In the meantime what odds on John Meyler inviting another generation of Cork seniors to take a look around the new Pairc (if they can get the lights working)?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:01 am

Great post as usual Twohands, deeper problems is right. I presume your being highly sarcastic when you mention a delegates question away!
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:09 pm

I know a man who knows a man and from what I'n led to believe it was simply a case of not enough hours in the day. Don't think is this particular case there is anything mor sinistre
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Who gets to pick the new manager?
donal66

Postby donal66 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:41 am

Frank
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am

I think the priorities for appointing a replacement are:-

1) Find time to appoint the right people to the appointment committee, the absolute priority being ex-managers or ex-players who've won All-Irelands and know what it takes to win All-Irelands. This is the process that got us Kieran Kingston and should be replicated.

2) For these people to interview four of five credible candidates to discover what they consider to be best practice, to gauge their level of interest in the top job, and to gauge their level of interest in being part of a management team,

3) To meet with experts from outside the county to discover how others are succeeding and how we can improve,

4) To discuss with complete honesty why Kieran Kingston left, what should have been done differently, what will be done differently and to transmit that to both possible candidates and the clubs,

5) And to decide what is achievable in the short-term and the medium-term and to discuss this with the possible candidates and the clubs.

All this can be done quite quickly if the will is there.

Interestingly, the issue of Kingston's replacement is not on tonight's agenda for the CCB meeting, and has not been added even informally. Can we then presume that this issue will go back to the Cork GAA clubs and members for their consideration and perhaps another meeting convened next Tuesday?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:57 am

Ha ha, great post Podsy but was any of the above adhered to in the appointment of Ronan Mac?
The club's will be given absolutely zero say
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm

I would just like to put on record my appreciation of the service given to Cork hurling by Kieran Kingston and his team. I have been fortunate to see Cork win many Munster titles and I think this year in my opinion was the greatest for a number of reasons. The introduction of the younger players has given me hope for the coming seasons where there was none. I wish them well in whatever they do going forward. Corcaigh Abú.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”