Cork Minors 2017

Ranty

Re: Cork Minors 2017

Postby Ranty » Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 pm

tipp-ex wrote:This is the closest we'll get to a Kerry football team all year. Hope for the future, most encouraging

Very hard to beat an u17 football team when they have a 37yr old in a track suit constantly galloping into the field and
across the field and back across again..............all night long. Tommy Griffin was an absolute disgrace and if McCarthy
or one of his selectors did the same thing we might have an even game.
Oh, and I nearly forgot...........a lad about 5 stone overweight with a whistle who dished out YELLOW cards to Cork players
every time the sporting animals on the terrace shouted for blood. I counted four until I couldn't take any more and headed
for the Morris Minor.
I intended doing a bit of a match report but there really isn't anything to report when your best fielders were constantly pushed
in the back as they climbed and the free went the other way many many times.
It was comical in the end so the comfort of a Morris Minor was cherished and the road out of Tralee never felt sweeter than tonight.
The end of an era as far as Ranty is concerned because he really couldn't take any more.
Yerra sure 'twas good while it lasted anyway.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Ranty

Postby Ranty » Wed May 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Ya, that was a super report from egg head Murt. Why did he leave us wondering why this ugly stuff happened. Why didn't he tell us that not alone did Griffin repeatedly run into the pitch but he verbally abused at least one Cork player.
You can take it from me that Kerry stooped to a level lower than dirt last night and you can also rest assured that SFA will be done about it.
It really is sad to see such conduct in a sports arena but the GAA is littered with such unsporting stuff and despite a book full of rules with penalties to cover most eventualities they sweep every last horrible breach under the carpet or kick the can down the road.
Like I said already, I left halfway through the second half as I couldn't stomach any more. I was on the terrace under the broadcasting box so saw nothing of the half time rumpus mentioned in Murphy's sketchy report.
We wonder will his Kerry boss Leen publish the facts at some stage? Not bloody likely.
Will Kerry County Board censure Griffin and apologise to Cork? Not bloody likely.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the close to the bone reports, Ranty. You get the real reports on here that you don't get in the papers.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Please RANTY could you do a report ..I could not make the game on another sad night for Cork football ...in melee how could one team get NO card of any colour and Cork get 6 yellow , I black and 1 red ...Also Daire Cleary that came on for Kerry is Johns nephew ! his brother Denis son { cant believe Castlehaven did not get him} and the Cork full back Daniel O Mahony is Macho mans Aidan Nephew !
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

It’s not unusual for contrary supporters to have contrary viewpoints, but the following are lifted from the Kerry website’s thread on the match. Mind your blood pressure, Ranty.

“I just spoke to a parent one of the players & he told me that some of the antics on the pitch by the cork players towards the kerry lads was disgusting. I won't post what he said on here but let's say they brought it to another level lower than the gutter. 
I hope it was videoed & the ccc take the appropriate action, I know if it was my call that would be number 14s last appearance in a cork jersey.”

“Only full match videos, unedited, by sanctioned people (that is, having received prior permission) are allowed.
My understanding (unconfirmed) is that Kerry have supplied such a recording at the request of the Munster Council.
Personally, I hope so. I have always respected Cork as a great GAA county, but I felt that some individuals left them down very very badly last night.”

And from a poster who is usually very fair -

“I have been observing Cork football fora long time and generally speaking their approach has usually been a fair one. Last night seemed to be an exception to this rule. Obviously, I am looking at it from a Kerry standpoint but there appeared to be an undercurrent of nastiness in Cork's approach to the game. There were several instances of off the ball fouling, only some of which was picked up. As far as I can recall this attitude earned them four yellows, one black and one red. I am not sure if it was a straight red or two yellows. Most of these bookings resulted from the intervention of the linesman. It is most disappointing that this should happen at this level.”

”Perhaps, what I have just detailed my have something to do with the melee which developed in front of the dugouts at the final whistle when mentors, players and subs became involved in an ugly scene. It is uncertain what ignited this confrontation. It was totally pointless. The game had been decisively won. When everyone piles in it is impossible to point a finger but Cork's number fourteen, who had earlier been replaced , seemed very eager to make the impression he had failed to do when the game is in progress. Perhaps, somebody should tell him that between the white lines when the game is in progress is the time to create your reputation. Either way, it is very likely that there will be severe repercussions for both counties, as it should. It is regrettable that a fine contest was overshadowed by this shameful conduct, particularly one involving such young players.”
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

The truth, I think, is somewhere in the middle.

We engaged in some pulling and dragging off the ball, more than Kerry did I would have to admit from my viewpoint. O'Mullane from Kilmurry was easily the biggest culprit here, he should have been carded at least twenty minutes before he eventually was. It did get the Kerry crowd on that terrace side baying for blood early on, not that they ever need any encouragement. I had my fill of them by half time and moved myself over to the stand for the second half, where there was a greater Cork presence. Like Ranty and probably everybody else, I didn't know about any commotion in the tunnel until later on that night.

As for the card count - the black was unquestionable, O'Mullane deserved his and the full back O'Mahony got full value for his also, body checking his opponent and stopping him in his tracks on halfway, his uncle would have been proud. I can't remember the others specifically but there was nothing overly offensive. Neither can I really think of instances where Kerry players should have picked up cards but didn't, they were disciplined in their tackling. All-in-all, I think this so called nasty undercurrent is being overstated, the match was free flowing for the most part.

Griffin was in and out of the field all evening, I didn't see him verbally abuse anybody, to be honest, not saying it didn't happen, but he should have have been told in no uncertain terms that he had no business out there in any case. I'd imagine this riled our sideline somewhat and things eventually heated over.

As for the game itself, we competed well throughout but just seemed to lack real penetration. Our backs were tenacious, as were theirs, midfield had periods of real dominance and we seemed to have some individual talent in the full forward line but they never got any consistent level of supply. Our half forward line didn't really provide the necessary link we needed. Blake Murphy was classy and accurate though to be fair.

I was reasonably impressed with Conor Russell also, who was heavily involved in the extracurricular activities afterwards by all accounts. We didn't get him on enough ball but on the rare occasions he dropped deep he look very capable of getting his head up and delivering excellent passes and also got one of the scores of the game during our purple patch in the second half.

As was the case in the minor match, I was expecting a bit more from Nemo's Cronin overall, there's clearly talent there but I was hoping for more of a constant threat. I'm probably being harsh as supply was limited.

Keane started well again, just as he had the week before, and drifted in and out. The other midfielder, O'Sullivan, performed well also but Kerry also had some joy in this area with O'Sullivan and the erratic but effective Sauerland.

A two point deficit against a strong breeze wasn't the end of the world at half time, given we went nineteen minutes without scoring after our mini-blitz at the start. That said, it could have been so much better had Conor McMahon's brilliant attempt at goal not rattled the crossbar.

In the final analysis, the more efficient team won, regardless of the referee or any other factors. They ran at us from deep in the second half and caused a lot of problems, our backs did well to limit the damage but they just didn't get the respite that the scoreboard ticking over at the other end would have provided, and it certainly wasn't for the want of chances. As reported elsewhere, we missed three very good chances to erase the arrears midway through the second half but each trailed agonisingly off target. We had total dominance during that period after Kerry had come out of the blocks quicker in the second half, and could easily have had a goal or two instead of the three points they accumulated.

The referee had even seemed to turn in our favour, momentarily at least, as often seems to happen when the momentum swings. He penalised their goalkeeper for time wasting and gave a couple of frees against Kerry backs for overcarrying. We just didn't capitalise and, yet again, went home licking our wounds.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu May 18, 2017 2:52 pm

I appreciate the report, Lurker. Thanks to you and Ranty for taking the time and trouble.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks for that Lurker
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Lurker wrote:The truth, I think, is somewhere in the middle.

We engaged in some pulling and dragging off the ball, more than Kerry did I would have to admit from my viewpoint. O'Mullane from Kilmurry was easily the biggest culprit here, he should have been carded at least twenty minutes before he eventually was. It did get the Kerry crowd on that terrace side baying for blood early on, not that they ever need any encouragement. I had my fill of them by half time and moved myself over to the stand for the second half, where there was a greater Cork presence. Like Ranty and probably everybody else, I didn't know about any commotion in the tunnel until later on that night.

As for the card count - the black was unquestionable, O'Mullane deserved his and the full back O'Mahony got full value for his also, body checking his opponent and stopping him in his tracks on halfway, his uncle would have been proud. I can't remember the others specifically but there was nothing overly offensive. Neither can I really think of instances where Kerry players should have picked up cards but didn't, they were disciplined in their tackling. All-in-all, I think this so called nasty undercurrent is being overstated, the match was free flowing for the most part.

Griffin was in and out of the field all evening, I didn't see him verbally abuse anybody, to be honest, not saying it didn't happen, but he should have have been told in no uncertain terms that he had no business out there in any case. I'd imagine this riled our sideline somewhat and things eventually heated over.

As for the game itself, we competed well throughout but just seemed to lack real penetration. Our backs were tenacious, as were theirs, midfield had periods of real dominance and we seemed to have some individual talent in the full forward line but they never got any consistent level of supply. Our half forward line didn't really provide the necessary link we needed. Blake Murphy was classy and accurate though to be fair.

I was reasonably impressed with Conor Russell also, who was heavily involved in the extracurricular activities afterwards by all accounts. We didn't get him on enough ball but on the rare occasions he dropped deep he look very capable of getting his head up and delivering excellent passes and also got one of the scores of the game during our purple patch in the second half.

As was the case in the minor match, I was expecting a bit more from Nemo's Cronin overall, there's clearly talent there but I was hoping for more of a constant threat. I'm probably being harsh as supply was limited.

Keane started well again, just as he had the week before, and drifted in and out. The other midfielder, O'Sullivan, performed well also but Kerry also had some joy in this area with O'Sullivan and the erratic but effective Sauerland.

A two point deficit against a strong breeze wasn't the end of the world at half time, given we went nineteen minutes without scoring after our mini-blitz at the start. That said, it could have been so much better had Conor McMahon's brilliant attempt at goal not rattled the crossbar.

In the final analysis, the more efficient team won, regardless of the referee or any other factors. They ran at us from deep in the second half and caused a lot of problems, our backs did well to limit the damage but they just didn't get the respite that the scoreboard ticking over at the other end would have provided, and it certainly wasn't for the want of chances. As reported elsewhere, we missed three very good chances to erase the arrears midway through the second half but each trailed agonisingly off target. We had total dominance during that period after Kerry had come out of the blocks quicker in the second half, and could easily have had a goal or two instead of the three points they accumulated.

The referee had even seemed to turn in our favour, momentarily at least, as often seems to happen when the momentum swings. He penalised their goalkeeper for time wasting and gave a couple of frees against Kerry backs for overcarrying. We just didn't capitalise and, yet again, went home licking our wounds.

That paragraph in black sums it up Lurker. It's difficult to describe Griffin's antics to those who didn't witness it first hand.
Lane's statement to the Examiner today is another example of Cork rolling over when the GAA family is threatened.
For those of you reading and believing what you read on a Kerry forum, you have little knowledge of the lengths they will go to
to win at football. Those of us who know them well also know they are colour blind and unsporting.
On young Mullane from Kilmurry, look again if you can. His man in green & gold started it and never stopped pulling at him and
niggling him.
Lastly, does anybody believe that a team of 17 year old boys would arrive into the heart of Kerry and start trouble?
Referee..............what referee. A joke.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”