Cork Footballers 2017

Lurker

Cork Footballers 2017

Postby Lurker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:14 am

Seeing as the 2016 thread appears to be locked maybe it's time to start looking forward rather than back. I was thinking a thread for the individual competitions might be less cluttered instead of one massive catch-all but admin can feel free to change the title to something more general if they prefer.

I see we're down to play Kerry in Mallow now, it had previously been Páirc Úi Rinn. Is anybody considering the midweek trip to Tipp for the opener?

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/mcgrath-cup-football/
Ranty

Re: Cork Footballers (McGrath Cup 2017)

Postby Ranty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Can't make it that night Lurker as I have a funeral that I simply must attend.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm

I might join you. ;)
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Itll probably be our B team in this competition. Should be interesting to see if any new players. Training continuing in Fermoy anyway
Nemo Ranger

Postby Nemo Ranger » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:12 am

Well it will be a chance to look at new talent if nothing else. Hard to know who's available. I'd like to Paul Shanahan (Carbery Rangers) get a look in goals. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig) Dylan Quinn (St.Finbarrs) Thomas O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers) Kevin Flahive (Douglas) and Alan O'Donovan (Nemo Rangers) in the backs. Sean White (Clonakilty) and Sean Kiely (Ballincollig) in midfield. Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers) Cian Dorgan (Ballincollig) Sean Powter (Douglas) Sean O'Donoghue (inniscarra) Brian Coakley (Carrigaline). Thwy would some players. James Fitzpatrick Kevin Fulignati Michael Hurley also.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:36 am

Ranty wrote:Can't make it that night Lurker as I have a funeral that I simply must attend.

I am doing the eulogy :-)
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 am

Thank God for the McGrath cup - closest we'll see to playing the top teams
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Joe McGrath set it up originally to provide early season games for the weaker counties in Munster.
Oh the ironing
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Dear Santa,
Seeing as you are a world-renowned blood and bandage wearer would you please include the following gifts for 2017:
1. A very good job in Cork for Ciaran Sheehan. If not that, Eire Og getting up to senior will do, so he is tempted back for 2018.
2. A happy retirement for Daniel Goulding and Fintan Gould and if reports are correct Paddy Kelly. Three very talented ball-players who played their part in some memorable days for Cork. Thanks lads.
3. Martin Breheny to convince Dublin and Kerry to lose the run of themselves and do a 'Mayo' on it and start airing their dirty laundry in public!
4. Cork to have four centre-fielders capable of doing a good job in the middle. In 89/90 we had Fahy, Culloty, Tompkins and Teddy Mac who each did stints there. In 2010 we had Walsh, O' Connor, Murphy and Kavanagh.
5. Cork playing in August! In either code! At any age level! Maybe even a return to the newspaper stories which used to bemoan the cost for Cork fans of making trips to Dublin on consecutive August weekends to support the hurlers and footballers. Happy days!
6. A new woolly hat for Peadar for the McGrath Cup. Having said that when he wore the odd looking one last year it was the only competition we won so maybe he should wear it all year!
7. A victory over Kerry in the Munster Final. Next year is the 10th anniversary of the first All-Ireland Final loss to them; a harrowing day. A bit like Nelson's pillar being blown up in 1966 to mark the 50th anniversary of 1916 some retribution against our 'oppressors' is needed!
8. I know you are magic Santa but I don't know if even you can bring Sam to Leeside in 2017. Now in the depths of winter I'd take a battling semi-final loss whereby pride would be restored and the seeds of hope would be sown and we would be contenders again. (that's an All-Ireland semi-final Santa...not Munster semi..I know things are bad but..)
Yours sincerely,
Mossy.
PS. Be good to all the contributors on this site. Their posts make great reading throughout the year!
Happy Christmas to all. UP THE REBELS!
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Mighty stuff Maurice ! I think its vital that we get promoted back to Div. 1 ....no team from div.2 does anything great in the championship anymore top flight we HAVE got to get back there ..it wont be easy the Galway and Kildare away games will tell everything ...in fairness the lads are training very hard and have had numerous sessions already ...before the hammering against Roscommon last year they only had 7 training sessions ...that of course was because they had no pitch to train on unreal stuff ...but no doubt the Leauge is 100% vital this year .

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”