Cork Footballers 2017

breweryboy

Re: Cork Footballers 2017

Postby breweryboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Tomas doing his bit there on the SG for his adopted comrades. Billy for the Cork job with Steven O'Brien. Presumably he'd like to see Shea Fahy at midfield, with Dinny Allen, Colin Corkery and Ephie Fitzgerald making up the FF line :D
interesting though that he'd didn't say yay or nay to Des's question as to whether he would get involved himself given that his name has been mentioned. Let the fun and games begin.
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 pm

if billy gets it tomas o se would surely be with him
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 pm

breweryboy wrote:Tomas doing his bit there on the SG for his adopted comrades. Billy for the Cork job with Steven O'Brien. Presumably he'd like to see Shea Fahy at midfield, with Dinny Allen, Colin Corkery and Ephie Fitzgerald making up the FF line :D
interesting though that he'd didn't say yay or nay to Des's question as to whether he would get involved himself given that his name has been mentioned. Let the fun and games begin.

He didn't look too pleased and threw his eyes up to heaven at the thought that anyone might even consider him for the job. I couldn't see him being involved at all.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Cue two months of the West Cork v Nemo rubbish that has us where we are and has the top table exactly where it wants to be. For the love of the Devine could we not bury the bullsh1t and get the best people for the job and get them working together regardless of where they are from.

Brian Hurley has the raw talent to be one of the best forwards in the country. He tends to suffer a little from tunnel vision on the ball and, with all due respects, it seems from his tweet that that problem may have spread to off the ball as well. Powter was magnificent throughout this campaign. If his teammates consistnetly matched his enthusiasm for the fight there would be no criticism from anyone. Brian has probably gone through hell trying to get himself back fit and in the frame and I have nothing but respect for that. But he and the other players need to realise that it's not players v supporters. It's all of us in Cork who want the respect the footballers deserve back on Leeside v all of those (inside and outside the county) who don't. That starts with consistent performance in competitive matches, though, and it also requires people who want high standards to call it as it is - just like people like Kavanagh and Kelly and others have been willing to do this year.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Sunday game makes interesting viewing tonight!
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 am

A brillant piece by Billy Keane in todays Independent its exactly how i felt leaving Limerick on Saturday evening...
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:54 am

Is Billy Keane something to John B? Is he the fellow who used to do those outrageous skits for RTE, like festooning Larry Tompkins' pub with the Kerry colours?

I presume this http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/billy-keane-lazarus-rose-only-once-mayo-do-it-nearly-every-week-35959929.html is the article you're talking about.

Can't see much in it to be honest, except for the usual Kerry buffoonery. A slightly less deranged version of Paudie Palmer. On the other hand, I think Tomas O'Shea is a straight talker and I would definitely listen to or read his comments.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:00 am

Well said, Two Hands, although I think it's hard for the players not to feel occasionally bitter about their level of support. Even the Tipperary footballers get better support than ours do. But, as you say, the players must realise that the supporters are not against them. We're all Cork.
NorthExile

Postby NorthExile » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Twohands wrote:Cue two months of the West Cork v Nemo rubbish that has us where we are and has the top table exactly where it wants to be. For the love of the Devine could we not bury the bullsh1t and get the best people for the job and get them working together regardless of where they are from.

Brian Hurley has the raw talent to be one of the best forwards in the country. He tends to suffer a little from tunnel vision on the ball and, with all due respects, it seems from his tweet that that problem may have spread to off the ball as well. Powter was magnificent throughout this campaign. If his teammates consistnetly matched his enthusiasm for the fight there would be no criticism from anyone. Brian has probably gone through hell trying to get himself back fit and in the frame and I have nothing but respect for that. But he and the other players need to realise that it's not players v supporters. It's all of us in Cork who want the respect the footballers deserve back on Leeside v all of those (inside and outside the county) who don't. That starts with consistent performance in competitive matches, though, and it also requires people who want high standards to call it as it is - just like people like Kavanagh and Kelly and others have been willing to do this year.

100% agree. I was at the Kildare league game this year and if there was more than 5 Cork supporters I'd be surprised. It was a bitter day in a terrible ground and only I was local enough myself at the time in question, I wouldn't have gone. It's a game we could have won and would have if we were at home. The Kildare crowd were ferocious in their support and our fellas wilted with every cheer, you could actually see it happening in front of your eyes. At one stage an O’Driscoll (or perhaps a Clancy) was tossed out over the line by a Kildare forward in front of the Kildare dugout and the place went wild. I’ve hardly seen that passion here in club games never mind an IC game!!

I believe we are all to blame for this including the CCB, players, management and US the supporters. There are a myriad of reasons which make it harder for football fans. Like long away days to places like Down and Monaghan or got forbid Cavan while our hurling compadres get to Galway for the weekend at worst. I’ve done my time in Ulster and I’ve seen fellas in there 20’s organize buses to Kerry for the weekend for a game. I haven’t seen that here in Cork even for hurling except for All Ireland Semi’s or Finals. Maybe we aren’t good supporters (stereotype alert!)….

I didn’t go Saturday to Limerick or PUC. I just didn’t have the will to go to Limerick on the basis of what I had seen before. And it’s not a case of needing to win or see attractive football but it’s to see a bit of passion and a few hits, some pride and to see perhaps this attitude of FU and the world (RE Brian Hurley’s comments) but far too often I’ve turned up to see a damp squib and to be honest a little embarrassed as a supporter to be associated with a gutless team of crybabies. Saturday though gives you hope like reaching into old jeans for a tenner you knew you had yesterday. Hope is fragile.
redinsf

Postby redinsf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Dorcha wrote:Is Billy Keane something to John B? Is he the fellow who used to do those outrageous skits for RTE, like festooning Larry Tompkins' pub with the Kerry colours?

I presume this http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/billy-keane-lazarus-rose-only-once-mayo-do-it-nearly-every-week-35959929.html is the article you're talking about.

Can't see much in it to be honest, except for the usual Kerry buffoonery. A slightly less deranged version of Paudie Palmer. On the other hand, I think Tomas O'Shea is a straight talker and I would definitely listen to or read his comments.

He is John B's son I believe .

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”