Cork Footballers 2017

bronxrebe;

Re: Cork Footballers 2017

Postby bronxrebe; » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 pm

NorthExile wrote:
Twohands wrote:Cue two months of the West Cork v Nemo rubbish that has us where we are and has the top table exactly where it wants to be. For the love of the Devine could we not bury the bullsh1t and get the best people for the job and get them working together regardless of where they are from.

Brian Hurley has the raw talent to be one of the best forwards in the country. He tends to suffer a little from tunnel vision on the ball and, with all due respects, it seems from his tweet that that problem may have spread to off the ball as well. Powter was magnificent throughout this campaign. If his teammates consistnetly matched his enthusiasm for the fight there would be no criticism from anyone. Brian has probably gone through hell trying to get himself back fit and in the frame and I have nothing but respect for that. But he and the other players need to realise that it's not players v supporters. It's all of us in Cork who want the respect the footballers deserve back on Leeside v all of those (inside and outside the county) who don't. That starts with consistent performance in competitive matches, though, and it also requires people who want high standards to call it as it is - just like people like Kavanagh and Kelly and others have been willing to do this year.

100% agree. I was at the Kildare league game this year and if there was more than 5 Cork supporters I'd be surprised. It was a bitter day in a terrible ground and only I was local enough myself at the time in question, I wouldn't have gone. It's a game we could have won and would have if we were at home. The Kildare crowd were ferocious in their support and our fellas wilted with every cheer, you could actually see it happening in front of your eyes. At one stage an O’Driscoll (or perhaps a Clancy) was tossed out over the line by a Kildare forward in front of the Kildare dugout and the place went wild. I’ve hardly seen that passion here in club games never mind an IC game!!

I believe we are all to blame for this including the CCB, players, management and US the supporters. There are a myriad of reasons which make it harder for football fans. Like long away days to places like Down and Monaghan or got forbid Cavan while our hurling compadres get to Galway for the weekend at worst. I’ve done my time in Ulster and I’ve seen fellas in there 20’s organize buses to Kerry for the weekend for a game. I haven’t seen that here in Cork even for hurling except for All Ireland Semi’s or Finals. Maybe we aren’t good supporters (stereotype alert!)….

I didn’t go Saturday to Limerick or PUC. I just didn’t have the will to go to Limerick on the basis of what I had seen before. And it’s not a case of needing to win or see attractive football but it’s to see a bit of passion and a few hits, some pride and to see perhaps this attitude of FU and the world (RE Brian Hurley’s comments) but far too often I’ve turned up to see a damp squib and to be honest a little embarrassed as a supporter to be associated with a gutless team of crybabies. Saturday though gives you hope like reaching into old jeans for a tenner you knew you had yesterday. Hope is fragile.

Good honest post. By the way why "God forbid Cavan"?
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Dorcha wrote:Is Billy Keane something to John B? Is he the fellow who used to do those outrageous skits for RTE, like festooning Larry Tompkins' pub with the Kerry colours?

I presume this http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/billy-keane-lazarus-rose-only-once-mayo-do-it-nearly-every-week-35959929.html is the article you're talking about.

Can't see much in it to be honest, except for the usual Kerry buffoonery. A slightly less deranged version of Paudie Palmer. On the other hand, I think Tomas O'Shea is a straight talker and I would definitely listen to or read his comments.

He's his son. John B lite.

Loves rugby & Jonny Sexton( he's his godson I believe) and does a good bit of crawthumping when it comes to Kerry football.

Likeable fella all the same, good with words.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 pm

greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 am

Coach not a manager?

Was Peadar not a coach? He coached a team to an all Ireland. As manager he chose not to coach this time.

I assume the point of appointing a coach not a manager is to have a say in tactics. Fair enough.

But if you appoint a coach who will manage? By Jesus in a county where a team can't get a pitch or a gym you need a strong manager to hold it all together. Does the coach appoint some kind of logistics manager?

Genuine question, I actually have no idea. Would Kingston spend much time on the pitch, running drills?

I understand the thinking but not sure I agree
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 55613.html

Two worrying things here:-

1) Why a coach and not a manager? Surely a manager combined with coaches is the ideal, a proper fully-resourced staff. So why this emphasis on not appointing a manager unless the Executive intend to manager the team? That way, you can control pesky spending on, y'know, gyms and the like.

2) Why the rush to have a process in place before the next County Board Meeting. Surely the clubs have to have an input???
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 am

The dust has almost settled and we are back once more to our lowly place in Division 2.
Peadar and his sidekicks are gone and the slate is clean.
A decent man no doubt, but once again this past weekend he showed how 'strange' his thinking is.
He publishes a team at 8 pm on Friday night, lest than 24 hours before throw in and has O Halloran as keeper.
Sky come on and 10 minutes before the start they hit us with 'breaking news', Ryan Price is on instead of O Halloran.
What is all that about?. Why wasn't Price on in Killarney when our then keeper continued to gift ball to Kerry.
Back to Saturday's game and more crazy naievity..........1st period of extra time and 3 minutes in Sean Powter goes down
and immediately signals to the sideline that he is goosed. He is still hobbling and totally useless to the effort until eventually
replaced by a returning Colm O Driscoll just before the whistle blew for the end of that 12 minute period.
What management team even at Junior level would allow that to happen at such a vital time with Mayo lads getting tired?
I wish him well in his future but tactics and team management is not his forte whatever other qualities he possesses.

The game itself illustrates once more that you cannot win a game if you select players that can't think on their feet. I won't
name them but we had three or four and that's too many. Magnificent effort by the team of no hopers who clearly decided to
throw off the shackles of poor management and led by 19 year old Powter they almost pulled off a miracle.
Mayo beat them because over close to 100 minutes they only shot 5 wides against our 16 and lost possession needlessly just twice
against our 15. One of our lads accounted for 6 of them horrible turnovers and wasn't replaced at any stage.
In spite of all the above, we would have won if ref Brannagan was a bit more balanced in his interpretation of the rules 'sic'.
At least three glaring back pushes by Mayo were ignored or as the Sky analyst from Roscommon called them 'shepherding moves'
while Mayo scored from a dubious '45' and Cadogan was penalised for a 50/50 tussle with a Mayo forward.
Colm O Neill was clearly 'shepherded' to the ground at a vital time near the end but the last thing Croke Park wanted was a replay
as this would totally fcuk up next weekend and create a fixture backlog.
Hard to know where Mayo now stand but their luck seems to have turned and with Aidan O Shea, Cillian O Connor and Andy Moran
plus young lads Durkan and Loftus they might reach the holy grain soon.

As to our future, who knows? Gaelic football isn't going to become a priority in Cork anytime soon. It is important in a few clubs
and there are pockets of football only, but in general the clubs are more interested in their own rankings and County Cork Senior Football
team is more of a hindrance than something to be cherished. The exact opposite to neighbours Kerry, where the clubs are looked on by
both themselves and the County Board as feeders for the county team in the pursuit of Sam.
I think the best we can hope for is the appointment of a coach who will imbue future county players with two simple game thoughts after
fitness and S&C are sorted.
1...Do not give away hard won possession easily.
2...Under pain of death, stop shooting on sight and give the ball to a man in a better position.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 am

Podsy wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/ger-lane-replacing-peadar-healy-is-top-priority-455613.html

Two worrying things here:-

1) Why a coach and not a manager? Surely a manager combined with coaches is the ideal, a proper fully-resourced staff. So why this emphasis on not appointing a manager unless the Executive intend to manager the team? That way, you can control pesky spending on, y'know, gyms and the like.

2) Why the rush to have a process in place before the next County Board Meeting. Surely the clubs have to have an input???

Agreed. More rubbish outta Lane, unfortunately hes talking shit the past few weeks.
Where is he getting this coach/manager notion from? John Meyler and Considine hardly add up to Jim Gavin and Brian Cody and thousands more around the country. Is he thinking Billy Sheehan? How did that work out?
Lane obviously is not I touch with the modern situation. Appoint a manager who'll delegate responsibilities and coaching.
Lane already is on stage 1 of my predictions "priority" etc
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 am

bit late now for clubs to try and regain some form of control here, especially football club who have sat on their hands and allowed this farcical situation happen over the last 4 years......no wonder lane is all Ozymandias about this. The ccb will appoint who they want and the clubs will shut the fuck up.
I would advise that so called senior players should have zero input either this time as many of these fellas who were central to healy's appointment weren't in the Gaelic grounds Saturday night
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 am

Ranty wrote:The dust has almost settled and we are back once more to our lowly place in Division 2.
Peadar and his sidekicks are gone and the slate is clean.
A decent man no doubt, but once again this past weekend he showed how 'strange' his thinking is.
He publishes a team at 8 pm on Friday night, lest than 24 hours before throw in and has O Halloran as keeper.
Sky come on and 10 minutes before the start they hit us with 'breaking news', Ryan Price is on instead of O Halloran.
What is all that about?. Why wasn't Price on in Killarney when our then keeper continued to gift ball to Kerry.
Back to Saturday's game and more crazy naievity..........1st period of extra time and 3 minutes in Sean Powter goes down
and immediately signals to the sideline that he is goosed. He is still hobbling and totally useless to the effort until eventually
replaced by a returning Colm O Driscoll just before the whistle blew for the end of that 12 minute period.
What management team even at Junior level would allow that to happen at such a vital time with Mayo lads getting tired?
I wish him well in his future but tactics and team management is not his forte whatever other qualities he possesses.

The game itself illustrates once more that you cannot win a game if you select players that can't think on their feet. I won't
name them but we had three or four and that's too many. Magnificent effort by the team of no hopers who clearly decided to
throw off the shackles of poor management and led by 19 year old Powter they almost pulled off a miracle.
Mayo beat them because over close to 100 minutes they only shot 5 wides against our 16 and lost possession needlessly just twice
against our 15. One of our lads accounted for 6 of them horrible turnovers and wasn't replaced at any stage.
In spite of all the above, we would have won if ref Brannagan was a bit more balanced in his interpretation of the rules 'sic'.
At least three glaring back pushes by Mayo were ignored or as the Sky analyst from Roscommon called them 'shepherding moves'
while Mayo scored from a dubious '45' and Cadogan was penalised for a 50/50 tussle with a Mayo forward.
Colm O Neill was clearly 'shepherded' to the ground at a vital time near the end but the last thing Croke Park wanted was a replay
as this would totally fcuk up next weekend and create a fixture backlog.
Hard to know where Mayo now stand but their luck seems to have turned and with Aidan O Shea, Cillian O Connor and Andy Moran
plus young lads Durkan and Loftus they might reach the holy grain soon.

As to our future, who knows? Gaelic football isn't going to become a priority in Cork anytime soon. It is important in a few clubs
and there are pockets of football only, but in general the clubs are more interested in their own rankings and County Cork Senior Football
team is more of a hindrance than something to be cherished. The exact opposite to neighbours Kerry, where the clubs are looked on by
both themselves and the County Board as feeders for the county team in the pursuit of Sam.
I think the best we can hope for is the appointment of a coach who will imbue future county players with two simple game thoughts after
fitness and S&C are sorted.
1...Do not give away hard won possession easily.
2...Under pain of death, stop shooting on sight and give the ball to a man in a better position.

Good analysis Ranty,

I watched the game for the third time last night (once live and twice on playback). We will not count the many teams I've rewatched it in the cavernous cinema between my ears.

One other area the new man will have to work on is one-on-one defending. Mayo had three five wides and twenty-seven scores. They are being praised for their new-found accuracy and economy, concepts that have been alien to that poor County for decades. I was hugely impressed but with their movement and shooting and I thought that Doherty's movement and ball-winning opened up oceans of space for Moran and the two O' Connors. However, a huge part of their newfound accuracy was that all of our backs played from the back, allowing them to either claim, spin and shoot or claim and lay-off. Dublin wouldn't be caught at that lark.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am

stfrancis wrote:bit late now for clubs to try and regain some form of control here, especially football club who have sat on their hands and allowed this farcical situation happen over the last 4 years......no wonder lane is all Ozymandias about this. The ccb will appoint who they want and the clubs will shut the fuck up.
I would advise that so called senior players should have zero input either this time as many of these fellas who were central to healy's appointment weren't in the Gaelic grounds Saturday night

Nick Murphy? Great servant but shouldn't be involved in the next management process, no disrespect. Incidently, I heard he had to come out of retirement recently while on the bank at a junior A championship match, Carrigaline had only 13 players. Himself and a selector.
Last edited by tipp-ex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”