Senior Football Club Championship 2017

tipp-ex

Re: Senior Football Club Championship 2017

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:51 pm

It'll be an all city final Barrs v Nemo after comfortable enough victories today
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Two lop sided games with little intensity but nice football played by both winners.
Hard to say which of them will win it, but my money would be on Nemo because they have Luke Connolly.
His running and kicking in addition to other assets make him one of the best around.
Duhallow had no answer to Nemo's quick passing and lethal forwards where Kerrigan was a passenger and was
replaced at half time. He didn't like it one bit.
Thomás was cuteness personified, didn't mark anybody but held the centre when Cronin ventured forward.
Of their two midfielders I though Jack Horgan shaded it, but Alan Donovan is a strong player and makes few mistakes.
Apart from Connolly up front, their Cavan man Gumley at NO 14 is no slouch and a great asset.
For Duhallow No4 Dermot Hickey Cullen looked good as did Mark Ellis before he retired with a back injury. Ml Vaughan
looked good against Valley Rovers but I'm afraid he isn't county standard after today. Might have just had an off day but
left at least two decent kick passes slip through his hands.
Carbery Rangers are a shadow of last years team. The Barrs hit them for 1-6 to 0-1 after 10 minutes and they struggled after that.
Their best players, the two Hayes's and John O Rourke were well held by the Barr's defenders .
Shields at No11 will give the Nemo backs plenty to think about. He seems to be enjoying his football in that new role. Won't score
much but that's not his role either I'm guessing.
From a Cork point of view their full back Jamie Burns will surely get a call from Ronan McCarthy if he performs well in the final and
Stephen Sherlock up front is a shoe in for a senior red jersey soon.
I don't know if it's a good or bad thing to see two city teams in the final but they can both play good football and it should be a top class
final. A 3rd city team St. Michaels in the premier final against Mallow should bring a decent crowd to the new Pairc for a double header
and hopefully Ronan McCarthy with unearth a few players for the new Cork senior football team.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:47 am

Agree with most of that Ranty, although I thought it was much later Kerrigan was replaced? He definitely played some part of the second half. He was a passenger though, as was Barry O'Drsicoll I thought even before he limped off. He will be unavailable for the final it seems. Gumley is a strong, effective player alright, well able to win his own ball and score. Connolly was a class apart.

Duhallow were always up against it with their most prominent clubs all having big matches the day before. They needed a huge performance from Donncha to have any chance but it never really happened for him. I agree on Vaughan, doesn't have the pace for intercounty, despite being able to kick a score. He's a bit on the greedy side too I think.

I was very impressed with the Barrs, particularly in the first half. Sherlock definitely worth a look.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Lurker wrote:Agree with most of that Ranty, although I thought it was much later Kerrigan was replaced? He definitely played some part of the second half. He was a passenger though, as was Barry O'Drsicoll I thought even before he limped off. He will be unavailable for the final it seems. Gumley is a strong, effective player alright, well able to win his own ball and score. Connolly was a class apart.

Duhallow were always up against it with their most prominent clubs all having big matches the day before. They needed a huge performance from Donncha to have any chance but it never really happened for him. I agree on Vaughan, doesn't have the pace for intercounty, despite being able to kick a score. He's a bit on the greedy side too I think.

I was very impressed with the Barrs, particularly in the first half. Sherlock definitely worth a look.

You are right of course. Meant to say 'after' half time. He took the gloves off in a foul mood. In hindsight, the game passed him by as the outfield boys looked for Connolly a lot where in other years Kerrigan was the 'go to' guy.
Anybody know Gerry O Riordan the Ross corner back. Looked comfortable on the ball and made a few eye catching runs.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Ya Connolly definitely the go to guy for Nemo now. I thought both midfielders had fine games as
well.

I too was impressed with Jamie Burns. I know he also plays senior hurling with the Barrs. I am trying to remember if he played football when the hurlers were still in it.

Stephen Sherlock is definitely worth a run with Cork. Immediately. He may need some refining to be a top intercounty player. However, he has loads of confidence. He is not afraid to take on a shot. Perhaps he might be best advised at times to pass but that will come. Would rather have a young lad oozing with confidence. He is certainly that. He, Connolly and Cian Doran are good young forwards in form. They would make a fine full forward line and are mostly free of scars of the last few years.

What did people think of Kevin Crowley? Duhallow barely laid a glove on Nemo. Many of them had an excuse in that they played the day before. He wasn't one of them. While he did OK, I suppose, in that he scored a few points from play from wing back he didn't inspire in terms of overall contribution. I expected him to be more dominant or more aggressive in the game. Didn't happen yesterday anyway.

Two very poor games. Expected the second one to be closer. It was awful. Far too many scores from frees. Far too many frees full stop. Really dull game.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Jerry O Riordan played with the Cork u21s this year....Jamie Burns was midfield mostly.. with Damien Cahalane on the Cork minor team that reached the All-Ireland minor final in 2010...county sound were praising Kevin Crowley during the game scored 3 points from play ?
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:44 pm

CORKFAN wrote:Jerry O Riordan played with the Cork u21s this year....Jamie Burns was midfield mostly.. with Damien Cahalane on the Cork minor team that reached the All-Ireland minor final in 2010...county sound were praising Kevin Crowley during the game scored 3 points from play ?

Thanks for that "C F",
Crowley did score 3 good points and is a classy footballer as we know. No match for Connolly though and probably not robust enough for defence. Wouldn't be out of place in the half forward line. O Riordan was impressive as was Burns so we might see them both in red next year.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Final ended in a draw
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

reply next sunday before the hurling final
Ageless

Postby Ageless » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Some second half from the barrs