Senior Football Club Championship 2017

Spongebob

Re: Senior Football Club Championship 2017

Postby Spongebob » Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Big game in this weeks county championship: Valley Rovers v Ballincollig. Undoubtedly the game of round 2B. Ballincollig are unbeaten all year long and Valleys had a very impressive win over Bears themselves and are doing well in the league - with a notable win over Nemo Rangers. They managed a win over county semi final sides Avondhu as well last year (luckily it must be said). This game won't be a stroll in the park for Ballincollig. I expect a close game. Hopefully it will be a good one.

Odd in this day and age that a senior club championship game is going ahead within a week of an intercounty match. I think it is a good thing. Players should play games and seven days is ample recovery time. Of course the real reason why this one is going ahead is that two of the better Cork club football teams (as these two are) don't a representative on our senior intercounty squad. Not good for Cork but at least it means we can enjoy a good game on Saturday evening.
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Delighted to see gamea going ahead but mysterious to me how there isnt a single player from collig on the panel considering somw of the players who are on it
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:16 am

Valley Rovers were full value for their win last night. The score flattered Ballincollig if anything (who did well to limit Valleys to just two goals).

Valleys were outstanding throughout. They were able to turn the ball over and break at speed. Their movement was excellent and they opened up Ballincollig numerous times throughout out the game. When not running at them they were able to deliver the ball long into their full forward line who were towering over the Ballincollig full back line. Fiachra Lynch, Chris O'Leary, Jack Walsh and sub Delaney (I think) won all the high balls that were going in and converted a few of them.

Kevin Canty and Darragh Murphy were outstanding at midfield and dominated (Sean Kiely got a few very good scores for Collig it should be said).

This is a set back for Collig but I would not write them off. Sometimes you can learn more from defeat. This is the first time they have lost. To me they didn't do piles wrong. They tried to vary their play. Their movements in their forward line was quite good. Often it was a case of a dropped ball or a delay of a second due to mistake (as a result of pressure from Valley backs who were brilliant) which cost them. They were forced into taking harder chances. The result was some spectacular points from Paddy Kelly, Sean Kiely but equally spectacular wides as is to be expected. Valleys had no such diffuses creating chances. They did get the best score of the night when the result was sealed. Fiachra Lynch scored fro a sideline. Sublime score at the end of a fine game.

Valleys now must be taken seriously by all. When Ballincollig get Ciaran O'Sullivan, John Miskella back and when they reshuffle their team a little bit, they too will have a big say.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks for that excellent report Spongebob.
Wasn't Darragh Murphy on the Cork extended panel in recent times?
Is he good enough in your opinion?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Valley Rovers ding serious work the past few years, in particular at u21. This result has been coming. Nobody will fancy playing them
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Ranty wrote:Thanks for that excellent report Spongebob.
Wasn't Darragh Murphy on the Cork extended panel in recent times?
Is he good enough in your opinion?

Hard to say. He is a fine talent. He is playing at the highest level of club football in this county and he is doing well. That is an argument for giving him a go. I am not sure if that counts for anything at all though. I have no clue how some guys appear, disappear, reappear on this panel.

How did that Leitrim lad get on?

How did Coakley just emerge from the darker reaches of Dublin County leagues? Then once on, what did he do to warrant being tossed aside?

Kieran Histon remerged last year for the Donegal game. It could not have been for his average performance against Ballyhooly in the county junior B football final the week before.

Nothing at all against those lads (all fine players) but the point is (regarding Murphy of Valleys), playing well at the highest level in our championships means nothing when you see guys playing average at the lowest level, not playing at any level in the county or playing in another county or does Ger you on.

If any of the Cork selectors were there last night, they might well ask Paddy Kelly to tog out and put him straight on to our starting 15. He wasn't the best player last night but was probably Collig's best. He was brilliant in round 1 as well. We know what he can do. Putting him from the start on Saturday is as close to risk free as you could get. Won't happen of course.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks Sponge.
We sure are a mixed up lot when it comes to gaelic football.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Kiskeam beat Aghada by a point. Things not going well for Aghada. They are a struggling division 3 league side. Looks like they put up a fight here to be fair. Kiskeam doing well and deserve a shot at senior level given some of the other teams in there.

Bigger game tomorrow night in MourneAbbey. Avondhu v UCC is my only chance in the immediate future to see a Cork football team beat a Kerry one..

I hope it will give Colm O'Neill the chance to get over last night. He is a great sports man who has battled to overcome three serious injuries. All credit is due to him. However he is not playing well. I think we all want him to do well. I hope he can put on a show tomorrow.. Give him a shot of confidence.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Very disappointing from Avondhu. Very well beaten in the end by a team with a lot of non Cork players. Can't say exactly how many as a good five or six UCC players were not even on the program. I recognized Briain O Beaglaoi who was outstanding. His goal was incredible. He was the standout player on view tonight. From a Cork perspective (on UCC side) Ronan O Toole had a fine game at midfield. There was a young lad from St Michaels at corner forward who saw a lot of ball and kicked very nice scores. Overall, UCC didn't have a lot of Cork players so the result does nothing.

On the other side, very hard to take the positives. Tomas Clancy scored 1-3 from play from wing back on team that were demoralized. Michael Sheehan and Matthew Taylor battled to the end. However there other big players like Harkin, Beston, O'Hanlon, O'Hagan and O'Riordan just didn't contribute enough on the night. Not a lack of effort for sure. UCC were just better. No James Loughrey and Colm O'Neill either. Perhaps it was a bit soon after the Tipp game. Perhaps they had injuries. I don't know. Disappointing given that they played last year. Pity as they could do with some games. Anyway, no Cork victory tonight either.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Muskerry 1-12 Clonakilty 0-12

No surprise here for me. Cill Na Martra, Macroom and Ballingeary are doing well. Throw in Peter Kelleher, Daniel Goulding and you have a team that should be competing for honors. Clonakilty not out yet.

Clyda 0-12 O'Donovan Rossa 0-10

Is this a bit of a shock?

Duhallow 4-15 Seandun 1-11

Massive shock here. Seandun scored 12 times! Hang your heads in collective shame people of Duhallow.

Nemo 0-16 Bishoptown 2-4

A very, very poor game. Nemo were 20 points better B'town. They hit about 12 wides with the intercounty players accounting for most of them. Still suffering from last weeks affliction. Both goals should have been free-outs. This was not championship.

Looking at the Cork players, Luke Connolly stood out He played well, got some fine scores but hit some really bad wides. I would say 7/10.

Paul Kerrigan - had a share of the ball. Worked hard enough. Played in lots of positions. Only scored once. It should have been more. Had some bad wides. 6/10

Barry O'Driscoll - went off injured. A bit of a concern. His frees were excellent. Scored three but none from play. Played around half forward but didn't see loads of the ball and definitely didn't stand out. That is not to say he played poorly. No Nemo player played poorly.

Stephen Cronin - Nemo backs were brilliant. They kept Town to one legitimate score from play in the first 55 minutes. They defended brilliantly. He played well. Alan Cronin and Aidan O Reilly were better but all were good.

Jamie O'Sullivan - not his best game.
Ken O'Halloran - they didn't score goals, they didn't need to and didn't try to. Hard to comment.
Conor Dorman - made no impact on game.

Denis O'Donovan and Dan Crowley caused Nemo minor irritation. This game is about as easy as it gets in a championship game. In fact, we need to start getting real with our championship. Bishoptown are bottom of Division 2 of the league. They lost all their games. You can see why. We need a cull.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”