Senior Football Club Championship 2017

tipp-ex

Re: Senior Football Club Championship 2017

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 pm

CIT team that beat Douglas - they had a grand total of 3 players from Cork on the starting 15
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 am

I believe Douglas are labouring under the dual senior mandate. It's something else they have to overcome
Voice of P ui C

Postby Voice of P ui C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Unfortunately it's the price clubs (particularly dual )have to pay when they have inter country players in their panels. Clubs like Nemo can manage it better when its one code. Douglas are victims of their own success.
redinsf

Postby redinsf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

The criticism of College teams for having a majority of non-Cork players is getting tired at this point. They both have students from, at the very least , all over Munster and they are entitled to pick the best 15 available to them . I went to college in Limerick so I have no dog in this fight but, without access to any stats , I would guess that at least a half dozen of C.I.T.'s 1st choice players already played in the Championship with their home club or division.
I know some will say that these teams do nothing for the development of Cork football , but the reality is that they are in the Championship and have been for a long time.
Keyboard_warrior

Postby Keyboard_warrior » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:34 am

redinsf wrote:The criticism of College teams for having a majority of non-Cork players is getting tired at this point. They both have students from, at the very least , all over Munster and they are entitled to pick the best 15 available to them . I went to college in Limerick so I have no dog in this fight but, without access to any stats , I would guess that at least a half dozen of C.I.T.'s 1st choice players already played in the Championship with their home club or division.
I know some will say that these teams do nothing for the development of Cork football , but the reality is that they are in the Championship and have been for a long time.

There is definitely a valid argument here with College teams playing in our SFC that there should be a quota for the number of non-Cork players you are allowed field OR some similar system.
I think it's fundamentally wrong to have a team of 10-13 Kerry fellas playing in Cork SFC. UCC have been more guilty of this than CIT in fairness. I can imagine it's hard for UCC NOT to pick superstars from Kerry, Dr Con is currently manager of UCC for SFC and he's hardly looking to damage Cork football. This is where a quota of say 5 players starting from outside Cork and 7 total used during any one game would immediately improve both the fairness of the situation AND the benefit to Cork overall. Another rule people may not be aware of is that colleges can only take 5 players max from any 1 division each year in Cork. For the larger football divisions who have loads of footballers and plenty of them in college, this creates problems. I think that rule should be at least extended to 7/8 players per division..if we want to improve the college teams to OUR benefit.

On CIT they had a great comeback win the other night, bit light in Cork representation but this was due to injuries and players away on J1 mainly I believe. There were 5 Cork players named to start but ended up with only 3. To be fair I went to the Haven v CIT game in round 1 and CIT had 9 or 10 players from Cork starting and another 2/3 came on. They played well enough that day too and I was saying to myself "fair play to them for giving game time to so many Cork lads from Intermediate and Junior clubs and still remaining very competitive". If that sort of team were the norm I think no one could say there wasn't a fair benefit for Cork football. Part of the problem I think is that UCC particularly attracts a lot of top class Kerry players and Cork players from SENIOR clubs. These Cork lads then play with Nemo, Ballincollig, Carbery Rangers etc leaving the next strongest possible UCC team containing upwards of a dozen Kerry lads.

As I said, I think people go overboard when it comes to colleges (and divisions also) but I think the quota system I mentioned would benefit the whole thing immediately. No need to get rid of them at all and in fact it can be of benefit. Guy who would NEVER make a Carbery or Duhallow team gets to play SFC and can take that experience back to his club and maybe later on improve to playing with home division.
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 pm

redinsf wrote:The criticism of College teams for having a majority of non-Cork players is getting tired at this point. They both have students from, at the very least , all over Munster and they are entitled to pick the best 15 available to them . I went to college in Limerick so I have no dog in this fight but, without access to any stats , I would guess that at least a half dozen of C.I.T.'s 1st choice players already played in the Championship with their home club or division.

A great win for ucc tonight beating clyda, a grand total of 2 cork men on the team. Unfortunately when they last this long they will be hard to beat as their globetrotters return. If they win the first county in Frank's palace it will be great to see the cup paraded in waterville, listowel and dingle serious hotbeds for cork football
Keyboard_warrior

Postby Keyboard_warrior » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 am

stfrancis wrote:

A great win for ucc tonight beating clyda, a grand total of 2 cork men on the team. Unfortunately when they last this long they will be hard to beat as their globetrotters return. If they win the first county in Frank's palace it will be great to see the cup paraded in waterville, listowel and dingle serious hotbeds for cork football

3 Cork lads started. Dylan Fenton (Vincents), Ronan O'Toole (Eire Og) and Liam O'Sullivan (St Michaels). Eoin Sheehan from Piarsaighs came on aswell.

Your tone is absolute correct though St F. I've said it above already, 11 Kerry fellas starting on the team - what does that do for Cork football? And as you say, now that Colleges are back they will only get stronger as they may actually train collectively. My own opinion is colleges teams should be allowed in the competition but only with a limit on the number of non-Cork players taking the field. I can understand people getting angry reading a report of a team of 11 Kerry players winning Cork SFC games though and maybe demanding they be turfed out.

CIT play the Barrs Tuesday night, so will be interesting to see what composition of CIT team is like.

Great win by Valleys again today. 7 down to Avondhu at one stage and pipped them by 1 in the end. Having a great run this year and won't be easily beat by anyone.
Nemo, Carbery Rangers and Ballincollig are 3 strongest placed teams left in it to me, but a shock or 2 are never far away.
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

CIT1-4 The Barrs 3-6 ft
redinsf

Postby redinsf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:02 pm

westcorkrebel wrote:CIT1-4 The Barrs 3-6 ft

Was the weather a factor ? Very low tally of points .
Bluebell

Postby Bluebell » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Just 8 teams left and Nemo (surprising?) favourites with Mr Power --> https://media.paddypower.com/redirect.a ... _ids=85226

Any value there on Bcollig at 11/2?

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”