The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Dorcha

The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Postby Dorcha » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03 pm

I'll re-start this thread with the last update in the Irish Examiner.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/pairc-ui-chaoimh-redevelopment-cost-to-top-78m-365832.html

"On Tuesday night, county board delegates assembled for a special meeting where they were appraised of updates regarding the project, including the appointment of John Sisk & Son (Holdings) Ltd as main contactors.

A presentation detailed the remaining work, with each stand to be treated as a separate site so as to allow progress in tandem with each other. Cork hope the stadium will be finished on June 2, 2017 with a total capacity of 45,000 — 13,000 in the south (formerly covered) stand, 8,000 in the north stand and 12,000 on each of the terraces.

The rise in cost from the originally projected €70m was put down to increased construction costs after a prolonged recession, extra piling, the relocation of floodlights, and the implementation of a sprinkler system."
Dorcha

Re: The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Postby Dorcha » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Originally it was proposed to simply move the roof of the covered stand across to the uncovered one. Now, apparently the uncovered stand is also going to be demolished as are the terraces (which were originally supposed to be converted into stands before a change of plans). The extra costs seem to come from someone not planning properly in the first place and then changing their minds.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:15 pm

I hear the pitch will change angle a bit as well, meaning that the terraces will have to go as well.
So it'll be like a blank canvas, ready for a new, innovative, futuristic, exciting design which will be the envy of all other counties.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Serious problems with the piling on the uncovered stand site, piling depth is now over 30 meters. That is a lot of concrete.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:42 pm

tipp-ex wrote:So it'll be like a blank canvas, ready for a new, innovative, futuristic, exciting design which will be the envy of all other counties.

That is what should have happened but it can't now with the contract with Sisks signed.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Corkhurlinglove wrote:Serious problems with the piling on the uncovered stand site, piling depth is now over 30 meters. That is a lot of concrete.

So more expence i presume?
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:21 pm

tipp-ex wrote:
Corkhurlinglove wrote:Serious problems with the piling on the uncovered stand site, piling depth is now over 30 meters. That is a lot of concrete.

So more expence i presume?

Yes, it is the uncovered stand which was never in the original plans either. There seems to no mention of these costs anywhere including demolition, engineers , design etc. The only mention is the money being paid to Sisks.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Wait now. The 78.4 million that was revealed at the "delegates only" meeting the other night. Is this extra cost included in this?
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Wait now. The 78.4 million that was revealed at the "delegates only" meeting the other night. Is this extra cost included in this?

Okay, I checked again. Sisks are getting 70 million, I thought they were getting the the 78.4.

So the 8.4 million is covering the everything else, lets just hope the pilers find bedrock soon
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:17 am

Limerick secretary Mike O’Riordan has expressed his deep concern over the viability of the county’s flagship GAA venue.

In his report to next Monday’s annual convention, O’Riordan reveals that the Gaelic Grounds is becoming a financial “burden” due to the lack of significant championship games at the Ennis Road venue.

A crowd of 31,488 filed through the turnstiles for the Limerick-Tipperary Munster SHC semi-final in June, but no other game at the venue in 2015 recorded an attendance of over 10,000.

Adding to his concern is next year’s Munster SHC draw which does not guarantee the Limerick hurlers a home fixture.

With efforts to present the Gaelic Grounds as a music venue bearing little fruit, the challenge for the county board executive, according to O’Riordan, is to make the stadium “self-sufficient”. It is little over 10 years now since the Gaelic Grounds reopened it doors after a major €12m redevelopment.

“The lack of games and events at the Gaelic Grounds is a major concern again this year,” he remarks.

“Having explored the idea of concerts being held there and no real appetite from promoters to utilise the venue, we will now have to explore other areas of revenue to maintain the facility.

“The hosting of certain National Hurling and Football League games at the venue is not viable.

"The burden of the facility is becoming a financial issue for the board and even though the commercial activities have increased, it is still not enough to make it self-sufficient.”

Despite the commercial difficulties surrounding the venue, O’Riordan has hinted at a possible redevelopment of the county’s premier grounds which would include putting a roof on the presently uncovered North Stand and redesigning the Mackey Stand.

“The one area in need of attention in particular is the Mackey Stand and I feel that there will have to be a major review of the future of the venue once the Mick Neville Park project is completed.

“Everyone would love to see the North Stand covered and the Mackey Stand replaced with a stand with the same gradient as its counterpart.

“Whether there is an appetite within the county to progress with a project of that scale will remain to be seen. With any project in the short and long-term, it will have to be self-sufficient.”

The Limerick secretary is also heavily alarmed by decreasing gate receipts at club level set against the increased costs of catering for the county’s flagship teams.

“With the continued high level of team preparation in both hurling and football rising year on year, the pressure of maintaining these required improvements is reaching breaking point.

“Club gates are decreasing. When you look at three or four years ago, the county SHC final generated €40,000 and you see this year’s final reaching just over €20,000.

"The county FC final was also back on last year, but on a positive note, the increases in the junior hurling and football championship is promising.

“I am of the view it is ridiculous the county board giving the four divisional committees a financial contribution at the end of the playing season from the intermediate gates when you look at the money it takes to run our county teams, facilities and coaching initiatives.

"I would ask the clubs to reverse this in the new year when it comes up for discussion.”

Elsewhere in his report, O’Riordan hit out at the abuse which club referees in Limerick are subjected to.

“I would like to thank all our referees, linesmen and umpires for their continued efforts this year. The number of referees joining the present group is in decline and is reaching levels of concern.

I would urge clubs to show tolerance, in particular, to up and coming referees. The abuse some of the referees received from some clubs this season is totally unacceptable.

“I would ask all clubs to provide at least one referee to the club refereeing panel in 2016.”

He also requested clubs to be far quicker off the mark next year in paying into the various insurance schemes demanded by Croke Park and the county board — player injury, public liability and property.

“This year, to safeguard clubs from potential liabilities, on the instruction from Croke Park, clubs were prevented from playing games as some of these [insurance] payments were not paid on time.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/gaelic-grounds-now-a-burden-warns-limerick-secretary-mike-oriordan-370981.html

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”