The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

greatbleddyman

Re: The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Postby greatbleddyman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 am

Ok, haven't been yet and would like to be part of a whinging moratorium for a week or two.

BUT...... The centre of excellence out the back :roll: maybe this is well known but until I saw in the paper I didn't know the pitch wasn't full size
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 am

I didn't know that either. Assumed it was full size, kind of looks it.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 am

Turenne wrote:New Casement Park already looks far superior.

In what way, Turenne?
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am

Scratch that... I just see this now - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40649732

Looks well alright.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Looks warmer anyway. :D
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 pm

In fairness Ranty, you always manage to raise a smile :) :)

I went along with a few others also last night for a nose, I hear what you're saying.

But to give the stewarding a bit of slack...it was first night and a lot of first night nerves at play. I'd say a lack of communication between the CCB & those charged with managing the event (no surprise there) was the main factor in the mayhem...the 'access all areas' policy sure wasn't communicated to the gatemen & stewards.

Understandable that a bit of confusion will reign until people become familiar with access points and layout, but a good starting point would be better & clearer signage, particularly in the early days. And the green/blue van situation was a pure joke with most people arriving to turnstiles and having to double back looking for a blue/green van...that bit was amateurish in the extreme.

Can't see the teething problems being any way resolved by the weekend,in terms of stewarding and access. Even the Gardai seemed nervous of traffic managing a 10.000 attendance of mainly local Cork people who would be some way familiar with access routes and parking...I wouldn't fancy trying to manage potential capacity crowds on consecutive days involving people not familiar with the local geography.

Look its a fine stadium and a huge upgrade on what was there but an observation (rather then a criticism) I would make is that it does appear a bit architecturally outdated when compared with other modern stadia design eg the Casement Park proposals. That's just a personal opinion.

The sod looked great from the stands and I didn't notice any abnormal cutting up or players slipping, it was a fine evening for hurling. Two high octane games on consecutive days will be the true test.

Another observation would be that the old scoreboards seem to have been retained and look totally out of proportion with the new surroundings, maybe the budget didn't stretch that far. Didn't appear to be any onsite big screen facilities either.

Ah look, we can all be critical of things..in general its is a massive upgrade and looks great in its own way, obviously the catering and hospitality areas are a huge plus and from what we know also the players facilities etc, and I'm sure once things settle down it will find its own identity and familiarity.

More importantly, I don't really care what it looks like as long as there's All-Ireland medals filling the place and hope its a lucky stadium for the future generations of Corkonians,
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:42 am

Good and generous post Sinbin but I can't find it in my heart to forgive Mr Bob for his offer of the freedom of the new stadium to all patrons only to discover access to my €10 seat restricted. I refuse to give anybody credit for providing seats that don't force me to pull my knees up to my jaw and I have a huge problem with anybody wearing a stewards jacket/uniform who doesn't know how to enter or exit a stadium.
Apart from that sure everything was grand and paying €5 for a pint of Murphys helped to damp down my frustration.

I will be very surprised if there isn't huge problems in and around that stadium this weekend and if 'tosach maith, leath na hoibre ' has any relevance, Bob and his amateur helpers will have lots of hen fruit to scrape off their mugs come Monday.

I was wrong once but that was ages ago.............. :D

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 55014.html
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:41 am

Lurker wrote:Scratch that... I just see this now - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40649732

Looks well alright.

Looks OK but it's nearly 10,000 less capacity.
"Its capacity would be 34,186 - down by almost 4,000 on the original plan."

I haven't been to the new stadium yet but I like the look of it.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”