The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Podsy

Re: The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Postby Podsy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Exile,

I have little time for Shane Ross. Very little. I must say, though, that by my reading of the situation Cork GAA received the €30m EU money on the proviso that the grounds could and would be made open to other sports on a fee basis and to local voluntary organisations for free. Not permanently open gates, but open on occasions. I would imagine that the Liam Miller charity match is a perfect example of the above.

The thread on the Liam Miller match on PROC is hideous to read, so please believe me I'm not arguing with you here and I don't want this forum to go down the PROC route. I fully understand that this is complex and I'm not trying to browbeat anyone.
exile67

Postby exile67 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:01 pm

1) It's the absolutely cynical treatment of this issue by cretin politicians (MM, SC locally) that is particularly galling. They try to read Joe Soap's mind and try to use it to their own gain.
2) Wouldn't it be much better if money was not appropriated by the State in the first place, in the form of taxes, to be later re-distributed back to the same people (in this case, GAA members) but subject to the whims of politicians and what ever takes their fancy.

Some of the wisest words I ever heard were from Jack Boothman, spoken in the context of Rule 42: "You should be friendly with your neighbour, but that doesn't mean you have to invite him into bed with your wife." Voluntary, not compelled, engagement.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:07 am

The thread on PROC (and the new one opened to take the fight into the next room out of ‘respect for the feelings of the Millers’) are depressing reminders of the levels of bigotry, zealotry and ignorance in both codes in Ireland. When the level of debate gets to ‘my mickey is bigger than your mickey and more people prefer my mickey and you’re just jealous’ then it’s time to let it rest and hope that those involved will resolve it quickly and move on to focus on the event itself.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:42 am

exile67 wrote:1) It's the absolutely cynical treatment of this issue by cretin politicians (MM, SC locally) that is particularly galling. They try to read Joe Soap's mind and try to use it to their own gain.
2) Wouldn't it be much better if money was not appropriated by the State in the first place, in the form of taxes, to be later re-distributed back to the same people (in this case, GAA members) but subject to the whims of politicians and what ever takes their fancy.

Some of the wisest words I ever heard were from Jack Boothman, spoken in the context of Rule 42: "You should be friendly with your neighbour, but that doesn't mean you have to invite him into bed with your wife." Voluntary, not compelled, engagement.

Fair points, exile.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:47 am

Twohands wrote:The thread on PROC (and the new one opened to take the fight into the next room out of ‘respect for the feelings of the Millers’) are depressing reminders of the levels of bigotry, zealotry and ignorance in both codes in Ireland. When the level of debate gets to ‘my mickey is bigger than your mickey and more people prefer my mickey and you’re just jealous’ then it’s time to let it rest and hope that those involved will resolve it quickly and move on to focus on the event itself.

Haven't had the pleasure of encountering the new thread. The first one was unbelievably thoughtless considering that members of Liam Miller's family might have wanted to read that thread and expected, y'know, maybe some nice words and tributes. Instead.... filth, selfishness and total insensitivity.

Anyway, back to the subject....
exile67

Postby exile67 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:22 pm

John Horan is on the button here: the likes of Ross and Coveney, with sweet f-all interest in GAA, telling the GAA how to conduct its affairs. And then, notional GAA men, Buttimer and Martin, saying the same thing while underlining their "understanding" and "insight" into the GAA personae. The GAA is the only sporting organisation outside Dublin with an ability to accommodate large attendances - and that has provided a reason to bash it in the eyes of the aforementioned politicians.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0728/98166 ... ller-govt/
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am

There is no hypocrite like a politician. Coveney, a landlord, saw no conflict of interest when he was minister for housing.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 am

Having criticised them for both their stance and their insensitive and unwise handling of this, I am at least glad that the correct decision was finally made.

Damien Duff was right, though - the damage is done, to many (including myself) it looks like we were brought to the right decision kicking and screaming. We have damaged ourselves badly here and Cork GAA, for its part, needs to think long and hard about what it stands for and how it presents itself.
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 pm

The right thing was done eventually, once again gaa administrators in particular the professional staff in croke park find themselves way way out of touch with the reality of the majority of their membership. It sticks in the craw however to see appalling elected representatives like coveney, shatter, varadkar and the worst of the lot shane ross being on the right side of giving the gaa a kicking.....hopefully wesley colleges new artificial floodlit hockey pitch will be available to other community groups also. However I have a big issue with duff a man who comes from a part of tallaght where gaa is viewed as a disease...any irish man that refers to gaa members as 'gaelic people' should have a think about things.
The gaa needs to learn to be more reflective of the members, have less stupid rules and be much fucking better at communicating and actually using social media, despite what people think some asshole on twitter with the right hashtag can cause serious difficulty. The gaa also needs to learn that it has a lot of real enemies, people who continue to see the association as some sort of culchie match making and view it and its members with contempt.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Croke Park running the stadium now. Ryan gone during the summer. CP running it smells of something bad that happened imo

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”