The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Dorcha

Re: The Re-Development of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Postby Dorcha » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:46 am

There are people in the GAA whose opinion I would respect, but Colm O'Rourke is certainly not one of them. A bitter, small-minded Meath man.

Other clubs will not suffer because of the fiasco in Cork. Also, outside of Dublin, Cork support provides quite a lot of the GAA's revenue stream
Last edited by Dorcha on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:33 pm

At the first stage of the development the county board sent to me, the plans for a new stadium, with costs of between €40 and €60 million or €67 million or €70 million.
At the second stage of the development the county board sent to me, the last Munster Final in the Park when a demolition crew from across the county bounds, began demolition work early, and left Cork football on the floor.
At the third stage of the development the county board sent to me, the actual demolition of the stadium, so we had to travel to Killarney for the next few Munster Finals.
At the fourth stage of the development the county board sent to me, reports of delays and overspends, so the stadium would now cost €78.4 million or €86 million.
At the fifth stage of the development the county board sent to me, news that the Rugby World Cup Committee didn't think the stadium was up to scratch, and also rumours that there were big problems with the electrics.
At the sixth stage of the development the county board sent to me, an Opening Ceremony that would fit in perfectly on Reeling in the Years from 1976.
At the seventh stage of the development the county board sent to me, a league game against Waterford that looked like it was being played in the Sahara Desert.
At the eighth stage of the development the county board sent to me, the first Munster Final in the new stadium, when yet another demolition crew, from across the county bounds laid waste to Cork football.
At the ninth stage of the development the county board sent to me, news that Croke Park were now running the stadium and it will actually cost €110 million. The pitch needs a lot of remediation, because in the words of Peter McKenna, it's sealed at the edges "like a big tea-bag" (Barry's Tea Pairc Ui Chaoimh sounds good). He also announced that for other branding purposes there needs to be, "Red on every staircase, every corridor, every meeting room." What he didn't mention was that this will also serve as a constant reminder to all involved just how much in the red the stadium has put a) the County Board b) the Stadium c) The GAA d) The Clubs in Cork or e)all of the above.
At the tenth stage of the development the county board sent to me, reassurances that the stadium only cost €86 million. €86 million didn't sound too bad then.
At the eleventh stage of the development the county board sent to me, articles written by the likes of well-known Cork supporters, Colm O Rourke and Martin Breheny, who I'd say, take great delight in being given opportunities to put the boot into Cork GAA. At least we haven't had a grassy bank at our county ground for decades, like in Navan. And at least (thankfully), we don't have a group who chose the name DAFTS, (Development Advocates for Tuam Stadium) and who are now aiming to redevelop Tuam Stadium so it can host Connacht Championship games, even though there is already a 34,000 capacity stadium in the County and plans for a ring-road around Galway that will ease access to it.
At the twelfth stage of the development I said keep your gifts as I couldn't stand it anymore.

In all fairness, I think it is a fine stadium and one, every other county would be proud of. It is a shame that for various reasons it has been mired in so many problems and controversy. I read somewhere that it took until 1996 to pay off the cost of the original Pairc Ui Chaoimh. In those 20 years Cork won 6 hurling and 2 football titles. If we got that return in the next 20 years it'd be just fine. A hurling title in the next year or two would start to make things look better. As Del Boy used to say, " This time next year Rodney..."
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Fairly well summed up, Maurice. The New Year is always a chance to start afresh. A good start would be making both the football and hurling teams teams that no one likes playing against because they never give up and they never rest while the match is being played. That's my New Year wish.
hurlinghero

Postby hurlinghero » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:39 pm

When will we hear from Flynn & Gray as to what the true position is with regard to the 50 Million plus debt on Pairc Ui Caoimh. What is the true picture and a true breakdown of the costs incurred?
What contractors received the expenditure and who presided over the expenditure incurred which has been shrouded in secrecy ?. We need this all out in the open now and we want none of the people
directly involved clapping each other on the back on the basis of this fantastic setup, we now have with a pitch not suitable to play on. Who is going to pay off this debt and could anyone convince me
that it will not interfere with the financial affairs of Cork GAA unless Croke Park are stepping into the breach and paying off the debt. I do not expect any concrete information when these gentlemen report back so it will have to be investigated by some higher authority. It would appear that that the Cork County Board were dealing with something that was completely out of their depth and which snowballed as time went on and did not seek outside help as time went on eventually arriving at the current situation which is a sorry mess. Lets have the full facts on the table as to how we got into this mess and be up front with the GAA people of Cork.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 pm

Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 pm

tipp-ex wrote:https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/gaa/michelle-mcaleer-linked-with-cork-gaa-role-895608.html

The plot thinkens

Yerra tipp, sure we have to have a bit of gender balance. :lol:
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 am

Look at the FAI plans. Someone's pulling the wool over their eyes, everyone knows a centre of excellence only needs one pitch

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Gla ... Rc.twitter
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm sure the Cork GAA will be welcome to use any of Midleton's proposed FIVE new pitches (including one synthetic pitch, and THREE flood-lit once they are completed. Work was due to begin on the site last October but had to be deferred due to one objector. It's hard to know when the planning authority will return its ruling, since they are at present understaffed.

But have a look here -

http://www.midletongaa.com/latestnews
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:31 pm

The ladies will be playing some league games there soon, bound to happen
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”