Cork Minor Hurlers 2017

jbm1

Re: Cork Minor Hurlers 2017

Postby jbm1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Voice, I believe they did bring on a few players in the 2nd half of the U17 game in Thurles..Could be open to correction.
Was up there roaring them on and bitterly disappointed with the outcome. I believe however, we can have no complaints, Galway
were the better team and deserved their victory. One can look at this either way..Coming in cold in a quarter final, or playing matches
since May...I would prefer the quarter final route myself and Galway showed a freshness that Cork couldn't match..I think we relied too
much on Turnbull, but by gum is he a prospect..We just didn't have the firepower or the work rate of the Galway forwards and that IMO
was the difference..In saying that, they gave us a fantastic year and unlike this time last year (as other posters observed), we are in a better place and
if they can bottle this disappointment, I'm sure these lads will have Celtic crosses in the not too distant future
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm

The work rate was a disappointment alright, particularly in terms of how easily the Galway backs were winning breaks. We continue to have problems with finding players who can catch high ball cleanly and there was a lot of breaking ball yesterday. In the second half I'd say Galway won 95% of it and even early in the game you could see management were encouraging lads to work a bit harder. That may partly have been down to the fact that some of our players were evidently carrying injuries and there is no doubt lads who had put in a great first half were not as effective in the second because of injury. We missed a few easy chances too and while the focus is naturally on the second half, I thought the period at the end of the first half after we scored our second goal was costly as we seemed to ease off and didn't drive home our advantage. There seems to be something about Cork teams down through the years that we ease off after we get ahead. I still think the experience will stand to these fellas and we will hopefully help them out by being there for the main event next time as well. The crowd coming in and getting behind Galway in the second half definitely helped them.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 pm

It was a missed opportunity and thats the most disappointing thing. A chance to end our dreadful dreadful current senior, minor and worst of the lot u21 record but not to be. We go again in 2018 at u17. They have slipped over the past year, be interesting to see what they do in the next 8 months or so
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm

P1 MHC Final: Glen Rovers 0-19, Midelton 1-11

P2 Final: Inniscarra 0-12, Blackrock 0-9
DowchaBhoy!

Postby DowchaBhoy! » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:07 am

Have to hand it to the Glen. Pickwise they'd be well behind the other premier clubs in numbers but can still produce. Midleton lads didn't like it up them.
Turenne

Postby Turenne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 am

Midleton masters of under-achieving. This was their best underage crop since Lehane/O'Farrell and those lads.
DowchaBhoy!

Postby DowchaBhoy! » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Turenne wrote:Midleton masters of under-achieving. This was their best underage crop since Lehane/O'Farrell and those lads.

In fairness they'll walk next yrs minor.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Glen Rovers just too strong for Midleton. Five points up before Midleton realised they were in a match. By far the better team on the night.

I was behind the scoreboard goals and after Midleton scored their second point (there was a brief chance of a goal, for the Glen goalie lost the ball out in the corner, but Midleton were too slow to take the chance) the goalie ran back into his goals, then squatted down and beckoned to the Glen mentors on the line, who duly came running in. I thought his hamstring was gone, or something worse. They gave him the magic spray and the magic rub and then he got to his feet again, not a limp to be seen, and pucked out the ball. Was that to break Midleton's rhythm, because he thought they were starting a come back? Very poor of him and the Glen.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:10 am

Well done to Brian Turnbull who won the inaugural Minor hurling player of the year. Clifford won the football one. Turnbull had a great year and if he can overcome his injury, he'll be a big player going forward. Pity himself and Evan Sheehan were not fully right for the final
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Sign of green shoots, if not mushrooms, maybe.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”