Cork Minor Hurlers 2017

tipp-ex

Re: Cork Minor Hurlers 2017

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 pm

The minor famine goes on. Disappointing. Played only at the start and end, taken apart first 20 minutes of 2nd, lost it there
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Galway a much better team, cork carried a fair few players today.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Dennis Ring me arse, took O'Callaghan out of the full back line for what?? Referee disallowed a perfectly good goal, Downey was as much in the square as Canning was!! Three officals gave it and the one furthest away disallowed it.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm

tipp-ex wrote:The minor famine goes on. Disappointing. Played only at the start and end, taken apart first 20 minutes of 2nd, lost it there

Agree with this. Agree also with stfrancis - Galway better on the day.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Galway win by two points. Fair play to them. We started well. Could have scored another goal or two. Could not see what was wrong with Downey goal. There are fine margins between winning and losing as well found out. Cracking game that could have went either way.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Well OK.. Donal O Grady has shown that Downey decision was probably right with his fancy technology .. But Jack Canning goal was incorrect.. Either way, we lose by one point..
leesider

Postby leesider » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

I don't think this Cork team are as good as we thought they were.We were lucky enough to get a draw against Tipperary the first day.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:17 pm

leesider wrote:I don't think this Cork team are as good as we thought they were.We were lucky enough to get a draw against Tipperary the first day.

This is exactly what I was thinking earlier. I won't name names but having read other forums and the way they spoke about certain players, you'd think we had the AI in the bag. Some of those players didn't perform today and we're passages. Galway always have strong minor teams and deserved to win cause they scored more simple as that.
By the way, I see others on other forum blaming the ref. Ridiculous. We lost it ourselves
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Disappointing in the end but I'd never be too hard on young lads.

Pound for pound Galway were the better team and out-hurled and out-muscled Cork for long periods. In fairness Cork never gave up and fought to the end but their play became increasingly one dimensional whereas Galway were more purposeful. The short game & puckouts brought unnecessary self-inflicted pressure and I don't think these tactics are suitable for underage teams anyway. Some of shot selection was poor also...but again, these are only youngfellas. If anything, the line was slow to react to what was happening on the pitch.

Anyway, hard luck to these young lads, they gave it their all and hopefully will go on to have better days in the future. No shame, only pride.
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Nobody is blaming referee. What is absolutely ridiculous is saying Galway were much better. Galway were very good and fair play to them for winning. When they were on top, they took most of their chances and made us pay. When we were on top in the first and last quarter, we left them off. We should have had two more goals. The point about the referee is a simple one If the referee had been consistent on square balls (two decisions - no more) then the vastly superior Galway team would have lost.

FFS, they beat us by one score.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”